RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Finally broke in my 30/30!

Finally broke in my 30/30!

Back in the late 1970,s I bought a 1965 Winchester 94. I cast for it a shoot it a bit. I then bought a 700 Remington 270 and the poor 30/30 just sat. My brother and I traded it back an forth till about 20 years ago my son wanted to hunt and I got it back! My son carried it one year but never got a shot.
    Well it set in the safe and a few years ago I got a Lyman 331041 mold and a spark lit a small flame. The poor rifle hasn’t killed a thing in this century. So out it came from the safe. Loaded a few test rounds and off to the range. Just one small problem! I can hardly see the sights so I order a William,s peep sight. My patterns are now groups!
    A few days back my Brother, a friend of his and I went on a pig shoot! The pigs where in a 1/4x1 mile pen of brush,swamp and woods. After about 2 1/2 hours of walking in 8” of snow we located some pigs.
    I spotted the pig so I got first shot. The pig where 170 yards out moving and so I cut out in front of them and got to 60 yds. Shouldered the rifle and the front sight settled just behind the shoulder of a 200+lbs sow. Boom the pig hits the ground! Pigs scatter. I walk up to 25 yards and stop as the pigs are returning.
    My Brother come up from behind me and stops beside me.
    My brother is carried his 1949 Winchester 94 25/35 that was bought new by our Grandmother. As we stood there a nice big 200+ lbs sow came in! As we talk about how nice and fat she was. He said “ cover your ears! Crack and down the sow goes. The two pigs ended up laying back to back with their ears touching!
    On the drive to my brothers house we figured that his rifle hasn’t killed anything since the early 60,s and was his first kill with it.
    It was the first kill for my rifle since 1983 and the first for me with it!
    The rifle loads where 30/30 311041 cast of WW+2%tin at 1850.
    The 25/35 Hornady factory load.

Boolit Bub
    Well done both of you!! I bet you will using the old 30/30 more now!!

Boolit Master
    Excellent time with your brother and two vintage rifles, too boot. When you say a 1/4x1 mile pen, I take it this was a fenced property? Either way, better caged hogs to kill than wild ones to deal with that destroy whatever their noses touch. Enjoy the pork and keep shooting that 30/30. It seems to like being shot.

Boolit Master

Great report
    and I can just hear the 94
    telling the other rifles about the events
    of the day
    Sweet
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Sounds like a great hunt. .30-30 and cast is a great combo.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Pics of rifles and the pigs?

Boolit Master

Excellent! The first time I really shot a 30-30 was a friend's. He had bought it right before enlisting in 1968. Anyway, this guy and I were in the same LE Academy back in 1984, and that old country boy was an avid hunter. He went on a horseback trip near Bishop, 5 taken, 3 by him. He stated they were all neck shots at 150 yards. I knew this guy is a heck of a shooter, but I was still doubting a little.

Anyway, we were close friends, semi close neighbors, and our families were friends. Before I transferred in 1989, he asked me to load up his empties, stating he had saved every one. Anyway, he told me what shot well and so I set about to load to those factory specs. Powder and bullets procured, I ladder loaded within load data specs. He showed me his rifle, rear sight jacked all the way up, and he said it still printed low. He was 6'4" and had added a shotgun recoil pad on to adjust the length of pull for his frame.

Once I had loads prepared we went to the range. We were planning on shooting handguns after the test, so we set up some targets and some soda can on the 50 yard berm. 5 rounds each load, laddered up about 1/10th grain, still not approaching max specs, but within a grain.

As each 5 rounds were fired, the groups were tight, and climbing. We got to the one load that centered on the bullseye. I guessed that would be the load and had already made up 10 of those extra. He was so excited his rifle sights were finally regulated. I handed him the extra rounds, he shucked 5 in the gun, and then wiped out 5 soda cans, rapid fire, off hand. "I love this gun! It's like brand new for me!"

Before I transferred, I gave him a RCBS press, scale, and dies for 38 SP and 30-30, and showed him how to set it up and run it. I made powder scoops for the loads liked in each cartridge and we finished off his loads. We still talk from time to time, and I owe him a visit.

I have dies for 30-30, a Lee C309-150 RF mold, and have made rounds for my Wife's 30-30 she inherited but has never shot. I know, I should have bought the Lee C309-170 RF mold, but the 150 was on sale for half, and was purchased before my Wife's grandfather passed. Besides, I always figured the 150 would be a good plinker for youth shooters. I still want a Handi Rifle in 30-30 just because, don't need another lever gun, my Marlin 1894C in 41 Mag does all I want it to do. Okay, maybe I do need a lever 30-30, but I still need to draw blood with the 41.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Well done and thanks for the report!

My self and my three brothers always joked that Dad's 94 30-30 was the best deer repellent ever. Whenever any of us used it, we either didn't see anything or the deer stayed 300 yards away....
    After 44 years of occasional use, I finally killed a buck with it in 2016.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Clint,
    What powder are you using?
    I'm getting ready to try the 311041 in two of my 1894 Winchesters. One in .30/30 and one in 30/30 AI.
    I'm kinda leaning toward IMR 4198 and Winchester 748.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Cool! I bought my 94 in 1983.

Boolit Master

Very nice! Pics?

Boolit Master
    I bought my wife a '94 AE in .30-30 in 1984 as a wedding gift. Lucky for me I still have both of them! GF

To answer a few questions. We did get any pictures. And my ammo was loaded with IMR 4198.

30-30 and cast bullets+ dinner...
    Glad you've returned to the fold.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion