WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: LabRadar chronograph

Boolit Master

LabRadar chronograph

I was over at the range yesterday and a friend had a chronograph set up which he showed me how to use. I was impressed as it took the velocity directly from the muzzle! Very simple to use, very easy to read and it gave velocities at the muzzle and at various yardage.
    I have never done a velocity check on my hand loads so I was interested in how the number from his chronograph compared with the published load/velocity data.
    I was shooting 200 gr / 35 Whelen and the estimated muzzle velocity from the loading specifications was very close to what the LabRadar unit recorded; within a couple of percentage points!
    ATR
    Last edited by atr; 01-09-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I never had a chronograph until the Lab Radar, I didn’t like the idea of fussing with temperamental screens and the rest of it. Guys that had them spent more time fussing with them than shooting, Lab Radar changed all that and they are accurate.

Boolit Master

I want one. Have wanted one for two years. Not yet willing to fork out almost $600.00 for one; when I have a 30 year old Chrony that is not as convenient; but still does the job. I hoe not to put a round through the screen, but should it happen I'll have too seriously consider a Lab Radar unit.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my chrony and use it regularly. Easiest chronograph I ever set up. here is a learning curve with them. I like the measurements at 5 different yardages as it allows me to bring the data home get on a program on the computer and figure BC for the actual bullet ( not a lot of cast bullets have this) then I can get the sight changes for different ranges very accurately. I can read 38 caliber rifle bullets out to 200 yds, farthest local range. Im betting it might get to 300 even with these and the bigger bullets.I run mine with the cord and rechargeable battery. I made a small tube sight for mine that makes aiming it much easier.
    I use an owens scope stand for mine and it does great.

The Labradar works very well. There is one exception, it doesn't do well with Bluetooth connections. Apple or Samsung, it will connect, then lose it.
    The company is said to be working on an updated app, and also a software update which may correct this.

So, you just have to trigger it directly instead of using the app. The thing works very well otherwise. It does eat batteries so most buy those larger capacity power packs to run it.

Boolit Buddy
    Have and love one. Works fine on indoor range. The only improvement I'd want is an app - better bluetooth stability, export data from an app to some common format.

What software do u use to review the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I want one. Have wanted one for two years. Not yet willing to fork out almost $600.00 for one; when I have a 30 year old Chrony that is not as convenient; but still does the job. I hoe not to put a round through the screen, but should it happen I'll have too seriously consider a Lab Radar unit.
    If you were closer I'd give you mine. Never was able to get it to work at all. $600 wasted. Back to my Chrony.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Do you have range issues, ie, is there metal stuff or other 'reflective' items in the area? That seems to be a common problem with people who review them on youtube. The other common issue is location in relation to the muzzle for plain, brakes and cans.

Got mine for Christmas. Used it several times now and it works great for me. I thought I broke it last time out until I realized I had not 'armed' it It does have to be carefully 'aimed' to work well. I found with some lower velocity loads I had to aim slightly above the target to catch the bullet path.

Yes, the bluetooth thing does not work that great with my Samsung tablet or phone. Hope they fix it. Makes operation a little more convenient.

I got it to replace a Chrony. I've had two of those over the past 30 years. Just got tired of having to set it up and then move it every time I changed targets (different ranges are slightly different shooting angles). A Magnetospeed was considered but I want to know the velocity of each of the bullets in a group as a way to diagnose shooting and load issues. Yes, I do record each bullet hit on targets.

For me it is worth it. I wish I had bought it a while ago.

Boolit Master
    I have one and I think it's a great unit after you learn the setup/operating process , if I had a private place to shoot I would say there are cheaper options .
    But on public indoor or outdoor ranges it is worth the money.
    Edit to add , I have only used on handguns 22lr to 44 mag.
    Last edited by onelight; 01-11-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I found out if there are 2 or more on the range you have to make sure they arnt on the same "signal". or they fault out until this is changed..

Boolit Buddy
    Apple iPad and Bluetooth - works great for me.
    Wish the App was a little better - it works and has everything you need.

Boolit Grand Master

I have yet to talk to anyone that had luck with them with a shotgun. That's at least 80% of my testing. There's no fussing with my Prochrono. I set it out, and turn it on. It rarely reads error. I set a thick wood block in front of it, which will save it from any shot, wads, and most pistol rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

From what Ive been told the wads and shot charge make a double trip and faults it when reading the velocity. Ive also had troubles with 22 rimfires tripping it. Mines an early one I ignore the rifle pistol and the last one and set according to the expected velocity. On rifle it wouldnt read the BPCR rounds. Its does on handgun. But then center fire rifles wont read on hand gun either

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    From what Ive been told the wads and shot charge make a double trip and faults it when reading the velocity. Ive also had troubles with 22 rimfires tripping it. Mines an early one I ignore the rifle pistol and the last one and set according to the expected velocity. On rifle it wouldnt read the BPCR rounds. Its does on handgun. But then center fire rifles wont read on hand gun either
    So the Labradar only works on smokeless single projectile handgun and rifle rounds. That's too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If you were closer I'd give you mine. Never was able to get it to work at all. $600 wasted. Back to my Chrony.
    It's spoken for. Glad to see it go.
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-12-2021 at 12:21 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident