RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington SJHP in 357 Mag Lever gun

Boolit Master

Remington SJHP in 357 Mag Lever gun

I have some Remington 158 grain semi jacketed hollow points that I had ordered back when vendors still had things in stock. These have a fair amount of lead showing at the tip and the scalloped jacket typical of Remington pistol bullets.

I have been thinking about loading some of these up in 357 magnum for use in my lever rifle.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how hard these could be pushed?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    You can get 1700-1800fps out of them. They’re a good bullet. I shot them in trials out of my Marlin lever and a couple of single shot rifles. I got some better accuracy with some other bullets, but they were pretty decent.

Boolit Master
    I used lots of them, 125's and 158's the feed no problem in my old Rossi 92, they are great bullets probably about as effective as gold dots for self defense. no need for me to send my $$$ to Remington anymore with a couple new mp molds and an old ideal 35 cal 156 mold

Boolit Master
    What powders were you guys using?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Buddy
    Use Lil' Gun for 2000 fps with the 158s. Brian Pearce goes a little hotter than Hodgdon but Hogdons data will have you right around 2000 fps at 26k CUP and good brass life. That bullet is a varmint bullet at impact speeds over 1400 fps and won't penetrate like it does at 1000-1400 fps.

Boolit Master
    How do you think this bullet would compare to a 150 grain RNFP?

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITzlu9-oZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrSPXFfjjWg&t=225s

The bullet is a little fragile and its penetration is in the 223-243 class, which is barely good enough for broadside shots on deer. The 30-30 deer bullets with similar weight bullet at similar speed penetrate 50% further making them pass through deer on most angles.

The 150 rnfp will be able to control the expansion with alloy hardness and penetrate further than the sjhp if you want to hunt deer with more shot opportunities. I hunt deer with 2-2-96 alloy 158 gr gas check bullet and one I recovered from a deer had 98% weight retention and 60 cal expansion. I shot the deer in the ham and recovered it from the backstrap in front of the opposite shoulder. I have used softer alloys for more expansion but penetration suffered.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 01-09-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    300mp, h110/w296, 4227 and be86 are the powders I use most in 357 and 44 mag

Boolit Master
    Those bullets will work fine on deer. I’ve shot over fifty deer with .357mag revolvers, another dozen or so with the Marlin lever gun, and a bunch with a .357max. Deer are not hard to kill with any 158g jacketed bullet. Most of the ones I shot with the mag were shot with Hornady 158 XTP’s and I’m sure the REM 158 SJHP bullet will do just about as well. FWIW, I’ve never lost a deer shot with the .357mag. A broadside shot into the chest cavity will stop them every time. WW296/H110 is my powder of choice.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded and cast bullets for nearly 40 years, those bullets are some of the most accurate and great performing bullets I have ever shot.

I load a RCBS cast 158 gas checked Keith style SWC for my Marlin with Blue Dot.
    As far as speed-- the boolit isn't the issue as much as pressure is when ya work the load up.

There is plenty of Lead showing on those, and they feed & cycle just fine.
    If you don't roll in some crimp, you might have a case mouth (with a little flare left on it) snag when loading one through the gate,
    but that's all I've ever noticed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have shot a lot of the cheap Rem-Umc factory loaded 125gr versions of that wavy HP bullet thru my rossi 92 and they work thru the action slick as a gut. They came in 100rnd boxes in unplated cases and were cheap at Wal-mart. Basically the old .357 street load in a bargain package.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I have shot those in my Rossi and they shot ok but they will come apart on deer size game so would limit the shots you could take to broadside. The HP can also get mashed up in the mag tube.
    For me I would save them for pistol use unless it's being used for range ammo.