MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What BHN for 30 cal rifle?

Boolit Master

What BHN for 30 cal rifle?

I have looked all over on here and I know I have seen it before but I can't find it. What is the minimum hardness for gas checked bullets in a 30 cal? Might as well ask about 223 while I am at it in case I ever find a 225 sizing die. the 30 cal I don't plan to push beyond 2100-2300 FPS. The 223 I don't really know since I ave not looked into cast loads for that yet. I read the fryxell book end to end and it is all pistol, nothing at all about rifles.

Boolit Master
    I use Lyman #2 or Hardball in my .308. ~16bhn with gas checks. I also powder coat.

Boolit Master

50/50 Clip on Wheel weights/pure plus 1% pewter, gas checked and powder coated shoots well (1.5-2 moa) at 1800 fps or so in 308 and 30-06. I don't have a hardness tester, but I estimate the hardness around 8-9 bhn.

For my 30-30 I cast a 165gr with GC. Cast from straight scrap WW. BHN of 11 according to my LBT tester. Does well at 1800 fps. Every rifle can be different. I drive straight WW bullets with GC thru my 25-20 & 32-20 at 1500 fps & are deadly accurate. You can also drop your WW bullets directly into cold water instead of air cooled. This will harden them a bit more. I would try a few bullets cast from WW first & see how they shoot. This will tell you if a harder bullet is needed or not.

Boolit Master
    I use wheel weights with 2% tin in my Moisins 7.62x54r 1700 fps no leading. Pretty sure I could raise the velocity another 200 or fps again with no leading. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have settled on a 50/50 coww / pure for almost all my casting the fancy stuff gets a touch of tin added .
    I don't shoot high velocity with cast rifle , but I can and do shoot 30 caliber up to 30-30 jacket book loads easily enough out of most of my 30 caliber rifles . 2-3 inch groups at a 100 are a reasonable expectation at 1800-2000 .
    Smaller groups at higher velocity are achievable , but you will have to work to get them .

Boolit Master
    FWIW, my .308Win bolt rifle shoots cast to less than 2MOA easily. Less than MOA is my goal when doing load development. I do most of my load testing at 200yd. Even Lee molds will work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191118_131029.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	275055

PS the above load is around 1800fps. And, no, not all the groups are that size 1.5MOA is 'normal'.
    Last edited by charlie b; 01-09-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on what the bullet is used for and what accuracy level at what range it will be used.

#2 alloy WQ'd at 2900+ fps from a very specialized 30 caliber rifle. That's 11 shots in just under 6" (slightly less than moa) at 600 yards.

Attachment 275057

Here's from a M1903A1 match rifle with the 30 XCB out of the 30-06 at 1900 fps +/- [2 sighters, then sight adjustment and 20 shots "for record" at 100 yards].

Attachment 275058
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Which 30 cal rifle?

30 carbine or 300 Ultra mag?

It does make a difference.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Alloy of approximately 92-6-2, not sure of BHN at up to 1600 fps. GC and XLOX 2500 lube. Good accuracy and no leading. Could probably go a little softer at that velocity. Bullets shape matters, bore riding forepart stays guided but if bullet is not a good fit or design it can slump if not a hard alloy.
    Last edited by Rich/WIS; 01-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Man
    I second charlie b. I use #2 or wheel weights w/2% tin water quenched gas checked and powder coated. I have pushed them to 2500 fps with no leading from multiple 308 rifles. Accuracy was best for me at 2300 with 200gn(1.25 MOA) and 2450 with 168gn(1 MOA). I also water quench after powder coat baking.

Also the lee ctl312-160-tl in a ruger ranch 7.62x39 i have pushed to 1900 fps and its 1.5MOA to 2 MOA with no leading.

Boolit Master
    LOT's of info! The problem is that I asked what the minimum BHN I can go is. To be fair I can figure out the hardness from what was given. Big problem with wheel weights is that there are none! I am in NJ and even if I could find a place that was willing to give/sell me any they are 75% steel and more trouble than it is worth for the tiny amount you get. I have a large amount of pure and I have 50 lbs. of lino coming in. After that it is going to have to be bought from Rotometals for blending in with the pure to get where I need to be. So needless to say I do not want to try to get to 16 if I only need 10. The guns I am using are mainly my 03A3 and possibly my CMP Special Garand. All the boolits will be gas checked.

Thier are a lot of places online that sell wheel weights. Some as wheel weights, others as ingots. Look in the swappin and sellin section on here. I have found ok deals on ebay.
    I blend my COWW's with pure and a bit of tin. For just targets the 50/50 blend works ok. Siome like heat treating them. For hunting I go a bit softer. As soft as 30/70 WW to pure. This depends on the rifle. In rifles that can get to higher velocities the harder can still expand, on rifles that can't the softer helps expansion.
    I have found boolit fit is more important than boolit hardness to prevent gas cutting that leads to leading. Proper fit also increases accuracy.
    Boolit fit is King.
    With proper boolit fit you will be surprized just how soft a boolit can be and still shoot well.
    Get your boolit to be .001 less than throat diameter will keep the boolit centered in the bore and when loaded so the front driving band firmly touches the lands will properly seal the boolit to the bore.
    If a nose rider the nose should be very lightly engraved by the rifling. A bit looser is better than a bit tight. Don't want to pull the boolit when you unlooad.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 01-09-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    12 + PC = success for me!

But FIT is far more critical than the old school thoughts on hardness.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Thier are a lot of places online that sell wheel weights. Some as wheel weights, others as ingots. Look in the swappin and sellin section on here. I have found ok deals on ebay.
    I blend my COWW's with pure and a bit of tin. For just targets the 50/50 blend works ok. Siome like heat treating them. For hunting I go a bit softer. As soft as 30/70 WW to pure. This depends on the rifle. In rifles that can get to higher velocities the harder can still expand, on rifles that can't the softer helps expansion.
    I have found boolit fit is more important than boolit hardness to prevent gas cutting that leads to leading. Proper fit also increases accuracy.
    Boolit fit is King.
    With proper boolit fit you will be surprized just how soft a boolit can be and still shoot well.
    Get your boolit to be .001 less than throat diameter will keep the boolit centered in the bore and when loaded so the front driving band firmly touches the lands will properly seal the boolit to the bore.
    If a nose rider the nose should be very lightly engraved by the rifling. A bit looser is better than a bit tight. Don't want to pull the boolit when you unlooad.
    Leo
    I bought some "wheel weight ingots" one time. Never again! They came out at dead soft. With ingots you have no idea where they came from, it is just the word of the seller. And looking at the stories of people that buy wheel weights anymore it is just like getting them from the scrapyard or tire place. You never know what you are going to get and there is no returning them. When you do see them advertised as "Sorted" wheel weights the price certainly reflects that and it is usually 3.00 plus a pound. If I am going to spend that much I will buy from Rotometals and know for 100% sure of exactly what I am getting. I know I sound negative but I have been burned too many times and I simply do not have the money to keep throwing away like that. Now, if anyone here has sorted wheel weights for a decent price I am listening! I watch the swapping and selling section and when a good deal comes up it is gone in 15 minutes or less!!! I don't know how people find out that fast other than sit at their computers all day hitting the refresh button every 5 minutes! Sorry, even though I am disabled I have somewhat of a life. I have got to move around to stay somewhat mobile.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    50/50 Clip on Wheel weights/pure plus 1% pewter, gas checked and powder coated shoots well (1.5-2 moa) at 1800 fps or so in 308 and 30-06. I don't have a hardness tester, but I estimate the hardness around 8-9 bhn.
    What Silvercreek says but I don't powder coat them , lube with Lithi-Bee lube while seating the gas checks , all are air cooled and loaded 1600 to 1800 fps velocity ... I have no idea of what the bhn is . Loads are for accuracy 1600 to 1800 fps is the sweet spot for my 30 cal. rifles . 30-30 win. , 30-06 Springfield , 7.5 Swiss ... all sized .309 and 303 British (it's almost 30 cal. sized .314).
    The 50-50 alloy works better (is more accurate) than boolits cast from straight COWW's .
    I don't water drop or heat treat and quench ... just cast and air cool .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    12 bhn seems to work for me, lots of ways to get there

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Rickf1985

The BHN requirement can vary considerably depending on the what cartridge you are shooting and what kind of shooting you are doing at what ranges. Everything from indoor gallery loads shot at 10 ft to 50+ yards, to target loads shot from 100 to 1000 yards, to full bore top end hunting loads for use to 200+ yards, to every kind of shooting in between.

Can you give a bit of that information as to what your needs are?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Larry asks valid questions and I won't presume to know more...wait.....he might have forgotten more than I've learned...

But I have been plinking with my .30-30s and up to the point that I've explored I've had no issues with alloys in the BHN 12 range. Lead on hand, lino on the way, it's easy enough to get there. I do think that fit is more important that hardness at the level I'm playing with. Old Model 94 shot these at 50 yards and it's good enough for the conditions I hunt in.

Take a look at this site for guidance on recipes.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Boolit Master
    I use three gas check bullet designs (approximately 200 grains) for all .30 caliber rifle shooting, from 7.62x39 through .30-06. I keep velocities in the 1600 - 1800 fps range. A BHN of about 12 - 14 works better than anything harder. Years ago, I read a column in the CBA magazine where the editor mentioned that the softest bullet that doesn't lead the bore for the intended velocity will usually be the most accurate. I've found this to be good advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast