Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 358-429 and lil'gun

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 358-429 and lil'gun

Anybody try this combo? I started casting and loading this boolit for both 38 spl and 357. I have some real decent +p loads for 38 that I am happy with. In the magnum case I worked up to max load of h110 based on lyman #4 and I'm still not super happy with it. The rounds are plenty accurate and show no signs of pressure (although I am using federal srp) but I am getting quite a bit of unburnt powder left in the cases.

I bought a lb of lil because it was available and a magnum powder. Looking at Hodgdon's site and old posts here it seems lil is just ok in 44mag, but really shines in heavy 357. Is H's data correct that the pressure is that low? I know this powder seemed to have some growing pains early on, but they still market it and provide data for pistols. I would think they have it ironed out by now.

I would much rather save my h110/296 and 2400 for the 44mag anyway, just in case our current situation continues.

Thanks,
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Lilgun has toasted the barrel face and forcing cones of lots of good magnum revolvers. If you burn much of it through your 357 it’ll burn yours too. Yes if can give good performance and yes I’ve got some erosion on a SS New Model 357 Blackhawk to show for it. It seems to burn much hotter and put more heat in the steel than 110/296, AA9, WC820. Just a heads up. Freedom Arms advises not to use it in their revolvers.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    I thought that the issue was light for caliber boolits and bullets. Much like how s&w advises against using light weight rounds in the titanium and scandium revolvers. Also I thought that Hodgdon changed the formula so that it wasn't as hot.

I don't load shotgun and certainly do not want to burn up one or my wheel guns. So this powder will be basically useless to me if it's still no good for revolvers..... oh well

Ken

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Good in Hornets and Bees .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Lil gun was specifically made for 410 shotgun. Other uses are secondary.

Yes you can run it in revolvers but just realize it is hard on barrel faces and forcing cones. Because it is a temperature related issue, you can mitigate that some what by shooting slow and letting the gun cool between strings or shots like a varmint rifle shooter.

Light for caliber boolits in magnum revolvers driven to high velocity with any ball powder are also really hard on barrel faces and forcing cones. It’s just that Lil gun is the hottest, worst of the bunch.

Any boolit in a magnum revolver driven hard with ball powders will wear/burn more than a stick or flake powder.

That doesn’t mean I don’t use them. I do. But I just know that I’m using up my gun quicker when I do. So, for most of my shooting, I don’t need the high end power and I back off to a moderate loading and slow the wear on my gun(s).

It’s your pound of powder and your gun. If you shoot the pound of Lil gun loaded to upper velocities, your gun will still work. It will not break. You might not even get enough erosion to easily see it. So it might not matter to you. But then chances are you will.

I toasted my Blackhawk pretty well with Lil’gun and cast boolits 150-175 grains. I don’t think I’ve shot anything lighter in that gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input shoestring. I certainly do not want to burn up a revolver, they are too darned expensive. Guess I will try and trade it to a 410 loader, or maybe look for a hornet. I've had lesser excuses to buy a gun, haha

Thanks,
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Here’s my NM Blackhawk after about 1.5 lbs Lil’gun with 150-175 grain boolits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02207B9E-F6BB-48D4-A28B-E083A48EF827.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	275114

So I quit.
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 01-10-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Comment