Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 762 x 54 light loads and consistant velocities ,,,,,,

Boolit Bub

762 x 54 light loads and consistant velocities ,,,,,,

Well Santa brought a chronograph and I managed to test a few loads over the screens for the Mosin the other day. I had loaded some 90 grain Lee boolits over 3.1 of Bullseye. It is my light plinking load, and given the current ammo shortages, it is a great little utility load. BUT, the velocity deviation was much higher than expected. 850 was the average with 50 fps swings. What can be done to keep the velocity more consistent? Dacron filler? Magnum primer? Or higher charge? Any ideas. It is fired out of a 91/30.

Thanks !!

Boolit Master

I run my 91/30 with 13 grains of red dot. Never bothered to chono them though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    trail,

I would say you need to tip the rifle up before each shot to get the spread down. If this load meets your accuracy requirements, then I wouldnt change a thing.

If not as accurate as you would like, you may want to try Unique.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Super Moderator

I shoot that same load in my 91/30 (3.2 grains Bullseye/ 90 Lee). It's a very accurate load in my rifle, even out to 50 yards+. As long as it shoots well I wouldn't worry too much about it. As has been said, you could try tipping the rifle up to see if it helps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trail troll View Post
    Well Santa brought a chronograph and I managed to test a few loads over the screens for the Mosin the other day. I had loaded some 90 grain Lee boolits over 3.1 of Bullseye. It is my light plinking load, and given the current ammo shortages, it is a great little utility load. BUT, the velocity deviation was much higher than expected. 850 was the average with 50 fps swings. What can be done to keep the velocity more consistent? Dacron filler? Magnum primer? Or higher charge? Any ideas. It is fired out of a 91/30.

Thanks !!
    The more you use the chronograph, especially if you use 10 shot test strings you'll find an ES of 50 fps is actually pretty good considering the large volume of the case and small load density of the powder.

That is a very good load for what it is. I use 3.2 gr in my own MN M39 with the 90 gr Lee TL SWC. I do not suggest a dacron filler or any other, it is not needed. Drilling the flash holes out (#30 - #28 drill) might help a little. I find tipping the barrel down instead of up to "position" the powder in the front of the case can give better ES but it hasn't proven more accurate. I mostly just chamber them and fire them......It's a fun load anyway so I don't get too wrapped around the axle over minutia.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    It does shoot nicely ,,, will try the tipping up trick. thanks all !!!