RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New scope recommendations

Boolit Master

New scope recommendations

I am looking for a new scope for my Rem 7mm mag and am looking at the german dot reticle but am not settled for sure, I am looking at Bushnell Engage and Nitro models and Vortex. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Boolit Master

I also shoot a Rem 7mm Mag and my only suggestion is to get a scope with good eye relief. There is a serious recoil with this caliber and without good eye relief you run the risk of the scope recoiling back into your face.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned

I steer clear of bushnells anymore. Had two bad experiences with there customer service. Out of your choices vortex all the way. Decent glass, decent mechanicals and a no bs lifetime warrantee. Smash it with a hammer and they will replace it.

Boolit Master
    I only have two Vortex scopes and they have done well for me, but, I am not shooting a magnum.

The dot reticle is a blessing or curse depending on what you are using it for. As long as your target is much 'larger' than the dot it will work well. I had a post type reticle one time and thought it was great. Then realized that care had to be taken to select a zero range that did not require hold over. Longer range target would be 'hidden' by the post if hold over was needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Vortex. Have 3 scopes, 1 bino, and 1 spotting scope. No complaints about any of them. Not sure if they have a scope with the reticle you are wanting may be the only downside.

Hawke Sidewinder, Anything from Minox have been able to grab a few of these gems the past few years. I do try and stay away from the Chi Comm. stuff. www.cameraland.com has outstanding deals on any scope.

Boolit Grand Master
    My last three scopes have been Vortex. If I was on a budget, I would look at the SWAFA line as well. They have a great 10x for about $300 IIRC and, if hunting in open areas, a fixed 10x is not a bad option. I hunt from a blind in northern MI and most of the time I am at the highest setting to be able to count the points on a deer.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    if I'm thinking of a new scope is limited to vortex, Leupold and USA made Burris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I steer clear of bushnells anymore. Had two bad experiences with there customer service. Out of your choices vortex all the way. Decent glass, decent mechanicals and a no bs lifetime warrantee. Smash it with a hammer and they will replace it.
    Yep, I think they are owned by Vista Outdoors, and they also own Weaver. I sent a Weaver in for repair, and was told they have no parts. They sent me another scope, but it wasn't comparable to the one I sent in. I sold it, in the end I was out money once I replaced my old scope.

Leupold has the best service. I've heard Vortex has good service too, along with Sightron.

Boolit Grand Master
    Vortex is where I first go. As far as I know, Proof Rifles, out in Montana is using them a lot. If they like 'em, they gotta be good.

I like the Leupold VX3 and newer VX3i scopes. The only difference between them is the lens coating. They seem to be a great value for the price. I have found that it is best to stay under 10x with the 1 inch tubes, or the image gets grainy and the eye relief fluctuates too much.

I have a couple 4.5-14x with 30mm tubes, side focus, and CDS option that work really well with good eye relief and image quality. The CDS feature is a range calibration on the elevation turret.

Boolit Bub
    Leupold all the way, customer service has been second to none. I have a Burris that has been back twice for the same problem and is still not fixed, they're communication is terrible, and slow. Just my 2c

Banned

Check out Hawke!