Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap and ball sanity check

Boolit Master
    I currently use a "solid" type of lube and mine is the one made by Doug Knoell. It is very similar to that which is made by Montana Vintage Arms as Doug passed away last December. I tried using a soft lube like Bore Butter but after 4 shots or so it runs out of the remaining openings.
    John

Boolit Master

When I get to the Range I remove the cylinder from the Revolver. Holding it with the chambers up, I squirt a bit of acetone or Gunscrubber or brake cleaner into the chambers. Watching it run out the nipples means all chambers are dry and nipples clear.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    For lube on top of the ball that has worked for me is taking a empty tooth past tube and blowing it back to the shape it was when new and wash it out with warm water and let the in side dry then melt some Crisco and pour it in the tube and let it firm up . Then after setting the ball on the powder and the lid off the Crisco tube squeeze and a little liquid will come out wipe it with a rag the more solid Crisco will follow and fill each cylinder with it wipe off the extra . As you shoot the Crisco will be partly blown out of the other loaded cylinders and that ok there will be some Crisco to seal around the cylinder wall and the lead ball . I use my cap and ball revolvers and carbine for hunting small game in the fall when backpacking .

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    What kind of lube and how much?

I am already eyeing a 44 with a full 8 inch barrel.
    My lube has several faces. The one consistent is SPG. I make my own lube which has a couple recipes. My favorite for function AND smell is 50/50 "real bee wax/lard" mix also is an easy one being 50/50 bee wax/Vaseline mix. Another is bee wax/ olive oil. Best and easy use is the SPG which needs only money to procure ... needing no real effort other then having some bucks on hand to buy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12