RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: How's my casting process and powder coating process ?

How's my casting and powder coating *Videos*

What all am I missing ?

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 01-08-2021 at 03:21 AM.

Boolit Master

How's my casting process and powder coating process ?

I’m just going to say welcome to the addiction, watched a little of your intro and will try and watch more later but glad to see you “bumbling”,as you put it, your way through to educate others. Thank you for using your channel to help our hobby.

Good luck once you discover the custom mold makers like NOE, MP, and Accurate if you haven’t already.

If you have questions you are in a great place to find answers.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’m just going to say welcome to the addiction, watched a little of your intro and will try and watch more later but glad to see you “bumbling”,as you put it, your way through to educate others. Thank you for using your channel to help our hobby.

Good luck once you discover the custom mold makers like NOE, MP, and Accurate if you haven’t already.

If you have questions you are in a great place to find answers.
    Thanks a ton ! Looking really hard at some NOE molds right now as a matter of fact lol

Boolit Master

My Lyman 225-415 sits idle after getting an NOE 225-62 RN plain base designed for powder coating. The Lyman shot great ESPCd with gas checks, 1 MOA at 100 yards, the NOE boolits are close to 1.5 MOA ASBBPCd. Those are mostly for 'run and gun' drills on steel at 25 to 50 yards. They still nail tin cans at 100 with iron sights. Average velocity is 2250 fps from the 16" barrels, 2450 from a 24" single shot.

When I PCd the Lyman boolit, I made a jig that set the boolits onto a tray so the gas check shanks were not sprayed. The NOE boolits are shake and bake, laid on their sides between fan-folded parchment paper. The NOE boolits are great for blasting ammo, might be better with a slightly harder alloy. Still, way better than buying jacketed or sintered frangible copper. I prefer casting my own hands down.

Your stuff looks great, aluminum checks are reasonable here on Swapping and Selling. Those tiny checks are a pain but they do work. I have a set of CheckMaker dies, but they were for a longer check shank, the vendor and I are working that out. Using the NOE mold negates to need for checks. Still, I have 10 lbs of the Lyman boolit cast and coated, 20 lbs of the NOE cast and coated, I am good for a while.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Cool

Wolfdog those look perfect for plinking. I'm going to try my hand at the bake and shake next week.

Thanks y'all ! I'm looking really hard at NOE molds right now lol. The 62grain round nose looks like a real winner. Wouldn't mind a hp version either

You might want to pick up a cheap hot plate to heat the mold up. It will save on the propane and getting the temp up will help with the wrinkles at the beginning. I would also put a towel with a hole in it to drop the boolets onto. That will keep you from splashing water onto your mold. Water on you mold can cause a big problem when you pour. Don't want a visit from the tinsel fairy.

Banned
    I use a double layer of that wire mesh, offset to make smaller holes so the 22 boolit doesn't fall through.

Looking good to me, I always appreciate when fellow casting enthusiasts take it to the next level and make a video on their sessions.....I am to lazy to do that...
    Not that it’s a big deal, frosted bullets work great but I like to keep a wet sponge next to me with my aluminum molds. Once up to temp and I am in the sweet spot I find that after about every 3 maybe 4 pours with my 6 cavity Lee’s the bullets start to frost, I set the mold on the sponge which brings it back to the sweet spot for another 3 to 4 pours.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I use a double layer of that wire mesh, offset to make smaller holes so the 22 boolit doesn't fall through.
    Definitely going to do that with you he next bunch I make !