Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solar powered deep well pump ?

Boolit Master

solar powered deep well pump ?

First some backround info. One of the clubs I belong to acquired, in the last year, some property. We had to re-locate, lost our lease. This property has no readily available power source, our thinking is that solar is the only viable alternative. To run electric from the road to where it would be needed would be an easy 850', cost prohibitive. This year we'd like to have a water well drilled to supply strictly non-potable water so that we could at least wash our hands, and it would be nice to be able to hose down some of the equipment if needed, the mower(s) especially. I am a committee of 3, me/myself/and I, who's basically in charge of the range development. I do not have a backround in solar energy or well pumps. I've inquired of the membership if anyone has any experience in solar and gotten no response. So, I guess what I'm asking here is ... has anyone dealt with something like this? What size of a DC pump, what size of solar panels, deep cycle storage batteries and everything else that goes along with it. And no, I have not yet contacted any local drilling outfits. I don't want to be sold a bill of goods which doesn't suit our needs.

Brian
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Buddy
    At the ranch I have a solar powered Grundfos pump on a well about 200’ deep. I believe the standing water level is at around 150’. If I remember correctly, there are 10 80watt panels running the pump. The size of the pump and power requirements you need will be dependent on the depth of the well and how much water you need. My pump can produce a maximum of about 10GPM on a sunny day.

I don’t have batteries on my set-up. It pumps into a 3000 gallon tank on a hill top and water gravity flows back down to the house and out buildings. Much less wear and tear on a pump when it isn’t turning on and off every time water gets used.

It sounds like you’re going to spend a lot of money just to wash your hands and rinse equipment. My set-up ran about $10k turn-key.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 01-07-2021 at 04:41 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    In the long game you might be better served with an Aero motor/windmill type pump . Low maintenance , no batteries , wiring etc . Some will lift 80' with multistage pumps .

It's pretty easy to end up with with 3k in a basic set up , whether you choose a DC direct feed pump or go the inverter route with an AC pump .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

If you are handy and know basic electricity the electric part is all DIY. With a location I can give you panel tilt for yer round use. No battery system, pump to a tank on a stand. I can't imagine you needing more than 250 gallons a day so a used IBC tote would make a great water tank. 10' up would give decent pressure... if more os needed for washing the mower a pump could be added that runs off battery(or a running truck).

Pump $2995
    A single 36 volt 300+ watt panel figure under $300

That will give 3gpm and a 360' head

can add more panels to get better flow rates.

What would it cost to take water with you to wash your hands, since you are also going to have to bring some of you intend to drink any?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    In the long game you might be better served with an Aero motor/windmill type pump . Low maintenance , no batteries , wiring etc . Some will lift 80' with multistage pumps .

It's pretty easy to end up with with 3k in a basic set up , whether you choose a DC direct feed pump or go the inverter route with an AC pump .
    That would be my choice, IF you can find a windmill. The wind was harnessed to pump water years and years before folks even knew what electricity was.

Banned
    I'd get an estimate to run power , wanna take bets on what will be cheaper ? 850' isn't all that far and in the long run it will be money better spent and give opportunity for other improvements .
    I'd also bet that the well is going to cost more then the power will .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    That would be my choice, IF you can find a windmill. The wind was harnessed to pump water years and years before folks even knew what electricity was.
    https://aermotorwindmill.com/
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know what the cost would be to put in a tank and have water trucked in from time to time.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you could use a gasoline generator to operate your submersible pump. Some farmers around here pump old wells with generators, put in a quart of gas, start it , and drive away to the next pasture.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thats what I was thinking. Put in a tank and just use a generator to operated the submersible pump to fill the tank. That way you would only have to run the generator every now and then.

Boolit Master

Why not just a hand pump

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    I second checking with the power company to see how much it would cost to get power brought into the sight. It may be more cost effective than solar.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    Why not just a hand pump

gmsharps
    deep well hand pumps are pricey and few options.

i'd love to have a backup for my 350' well.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I didn't know they still made those things ...most of the ones I see are in various states of delapidation.
    Always wondered how they worked ... when the wind don't blow you don't get water right ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    You didn't say. How deep?

AC pumps are more durable and less expensive than DC pumps. A nice 4" sub is $1200 or less. Generator to run it.

Panels are $.50 a watt now but the rack to hold them will cost more than the panels. You can run DC pumps without batteries using a controller but I've had better luck using batteries. The extra electricity the controller will waste in the middle of the day is stored in batteries and the pump can run into the evening. Typically Solar Pumps are smaller and a longer run time helps get more water.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

My well is 400' and would love to have a hand pump but was told basically not realistic. Mary knows a lot about solar and electronics so may want to contact her. I do know I have 4 90 watt panels on my utility shed with two marine deep cycle batteries. Granted my tilt is fixed but in the winter it will not keep my dawn/dusk solar light on all night. I will get three or so days if no sunny weather. I like the idea of a small portable generator to run it while there. Ask the well drillers what they suggest. Probably have seen everything. Good luck.

Small tank in back of pickup bed.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

check out "RPS solar" they have plug and play systems designed for remote stock wells, I have 2 of their systems and their customer service is outstanding. you should be able to do a system for around 3 grand and solar puts the windmills to shame thats why most ranchers are converting their windmills over to solar.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see how deep you are thinking the well will be. If it’s not over thirty feet, a simple gas pump could work. If it’s deeper, you would probably be best off with a submersible pump and small generator to run it. Don’t get me wrong, solar can be great, but depending on volume, it may not be cost effective.

You should probably consider a storage tank, so you can run a smaller pump and stock the water for when there is high demand. That water could be pumped with a 12V pump and maybe it’s battery could be charged with a small solar panel.

With all water projects, you need to consider freezing weather. Will you need water when it is below freezing. A storage tank can be buried, using a separate pump, that when you stop pumping, all the water runs out back into the tank or well so it doesn’t freeze. The simplest and most economical would be a tank on a trailer, that could be pulled by a pickup. Fill it up and being it as you need it. If it’s freezing weather, don’t bring it because you probably won’t need it.

I too am building a range with a couple of friends. Luckily, we have a small stream running through the property. For us the local regulations say the whole thing needs to be fenced in and it is in pretty dense woods. Think about where your used (gray) water will be going. Are there any regulations that need to be followed? A simple load of crushed and washed rock will keep the area from getting muddy.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast