WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady® Lock-N-Load® AP™ Reloading Press

Boolit Buddy

Hornady® Lock-N-Load® AP™ Reloading Press

Would like some feedback from someone that actually owns one of these presses:

Hornady® Lock-N-Load® AP™ Reloading Press

I understand that on each stroke you need to place both a bullet and a piece of brass to complete a cycle.....just wondering about press quality, ease of function and how the primers load.

They aren't available right now...but might consider one in the future.

Thanks

I've heard for years how whatever press someone doesn't own is the worst press ever and the one they own is the best press ever made. I've owned a Hornady Pr-Jector for about 30 years, and have owned Lee, lyman and rcbs presses also. This past spring when the timing adjustments had reached the end of their range on the Pro-Jector press I liked it so much I ordered a LNL-AP. I've put a little less than 10k rounds through the LNL-AP so far but like it much better than my older press. The only issue I've had is the inner primer tube lifting up causing a primer jam. I put a setscrew on the primer tube housing to prevent that from happening again. It's entirely possible I just didn't get the inner tube fully seated which may of been the cause of the jam half way through a load session. As far as the press goes that's it. The primer tubes are a little stiff to load when new but loosen up with use.

I also have the case feeder and 30cal bullet feeder. The case feeder is fairly easy to set up, the bullet feeder is more finicky and not worth setting up for small runs if you've changed the bullet from the last setup.

If you have a 3d printer or have a buddy that does, there is a 3d printable case feeder you can make (you can find them online as well). Turns out the old Pro-Jector press just needed a $2 thrust washer. There are LNL subplate kits available, so my Pro-Jector has been upgraded to the LNL subplate and I'm going to have my boy print out the case feeder when he gets time.

Boolit Master
    I'm very happy with the one I got its been about 10 years, have had to replace a couple springs and a primer slide, other than that its a good press.
    its very easy to take shell out or put it in if your just pulling bullets with it or just seating or priming or whatever. ive used it to load one at a time and also run it full progressive. if you reload a lot of different calibers it much less expensive to but Hornady shell plate than Dillon caliber change kits.

Boolit Master

I had a Projector and upgraded to a L-N-L .
    The only drawback was the old shellplates needed to be converted by Hornady to work with the L-N-L. The primer system works great. But I can't use it, or any other priming system that requires a "push-in" action to prime. It really exacerbates my tennis elbow.
    I don't use either bulletfeed or casefeed, don't need it.
    It is very smooth working and doesn't "load up" like others.
    The powder drop system is very accurate too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I have 90,000 rounds on my two. Never used a bullet feeder (they don't like cast bullets) case feeder worked okay once it's setup right, but I did sell because of the noise. Could not hear my bible on tape. Owned a Dillon 550, SDB, RCBS turret press, Lee Turret press and bunch of single stage. LNL' s work best for same caliber, needing to use many different bullets. I mainly do 38/357 and have 12 different bullets now with 12 different seating dies. Easy to change out from one to another also have six powder measures setup for different charges.

I own a Dillon XL750 and the Hornady LNL. Got the LNL first and the Dillon way later. I use my Hornady for all my brass prep and odd ball calibers that I don't do mass reloading for. For instance, I'll do a run of 500 44mag or a couple hundred 35 rem, etc.

The Dillon does all my mass reloading. 45acp, 357mag, 9mm, 308.

Reason: Dillon Case Feeder is completely trouble free, and I mean completely trouble free. It just works.

The Hornady pretty much does everything else exactly the same. Weird cam arm and long bar the brass has to slide on. You have to get the cam wire perfect, pick the correct little foot, get the pawls dialed in, hold your tongue in your mouth just right, etc...and you'll still get a tipped case or some weird hang up every now and then. Just frustrating and breaks the concentration and flow.

Warranty for both seems to be fine. I've broken things on both presses and they both send out replacements asap. I can say this, the folks at hornady seem more friendly to speak with. The Dillon folks cut you off mid sentence and seem to be a little snippy. Doesn't much matter, just my observation. Doesn't really impact the final outcome I don't suppose.

But, back to the press

If you aren't automating the case feeding, then you could actually argue that the Hornady is better. Dillon is almost useless without a case feeder. You can't really feed cases manually. Yes, you can manually fill a tube...but that isn't very convenient. Without a case feeder, Hornady wins IMO. With a case feeder, Dillon Wins, IMO.

And, if you aren't comparing the press to a Dillon then, really, it's a fine press that will crank out a lot of good ammo in short order. I wouldn't and never did use it as a primary press. I have single stages for sizing thick rifle brass and doing precision reloading. There's some play in the shellplate and all those moving parts that impact overall length. Not an issue for pistol and bulk rifle loads, but for precision rifle reloads, I don't much care for it. And trying to crimp cast bullets that have crimp grooves, it can be a little tricky to get things lined up. You have to make your adjustments with a full shellplate. The first round will always seat a little deeper.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all...very helpful responses.

I have had one for several years now. I like it, but I’ve made a few adjustments.

Forget Hornadys Bullet feeder. Get a “MR Bullet feeder”. That thing is excellent.

The case feeder gave me the most trouble. I ended up attaching a wooden stick to it and attached a string to the stick, pulled the string through a pulley attached to my bench and then to the handle. Sounds crazy, but it works all the time.

I had the primer tube issue and a piece of masking tape is all that is needed to hold that down.

All in all, if you are patient and mechanically inclined, I think it is a very good machine.

BNE.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 8shot View Post
    Thanks all...very helpful responses.

On progressive press's it's all about how many rounds and how much time you want to spend loading them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I have had one for several years now. I like it, but I’ve made a few adjustments.

Forget Hornadys Bullet feeder. Get a “MR Bullet feeder”. That thing is excellent.

The case feeder gave me the most trouble. I ended up attaching a wooden stick to it and attached a string to the stick, pulled the string through a pulley attached to my bench and then to the handle. Sounds crazy, but it works all the time.

I had the primer tube issue and a piece of masking tape is all that is needed to hold that down.

All in all, if you are patient and mechanically inclined, I think it is a very good machine.

BNE.
    You really need to post a picture of that as I just can’t imagine this.

Banned

ive got two. There a big step up from a lee but a step down from a dillon. Some common problems are priming, timing wander off there more susceptible to dirt then a dillon and there case feeder SUCKS. The 650 dillon was designed from the git go to run a case feeder and does it well. the hornady unit is more of an add on. My opinion is if your trying to save money over a 650 or i guess now the 750 then instead of buying the hornady buy a 550. Its not really a progressive as you have to advance it yourself but youll make more ammo in a day on a 550 then you will fooling with the idiosyncrasy's of a lnl. If you do go lnl DONT bother with a case feeder. I have them sitting on both of mine and feed them by hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    On progressive press's it's all about how many rounds and how much time you want to spend loading them.
    I understand that & have progressive presses...but do not have experience with the Hornady...that's what my question focused on.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got two. There a big step up from a lee but a step down from a dillon. Some common problems are priming, timing wander off there more susceptible to dirt then a dillon and there case feeder SUCKS. The 650 dillon was designed from the git go to run a case feeder and does it well. the hornady unit is more of an add on. My opinion is if your trying to save money over a 650 or i guess now the 750 then instead of buying the hornady buy a 550. Its not really a progressive as you have to advance it yourself but youll make more ammo in a day on a 550 then you will fooling with the idiosyncrasy's of a lnl. If you do go lnl DONT bother with a case feeder. I have them sitting on both of mine and feed them by hand.
    Thanks nothing to do with money...just wanted to hear from actual Hornandy owners...your response is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Oh com'on now, it ain't that bad

It isn't great, but it's still worth using for depriming and other dirty work not fit for the Dillon.

I have seen, over the years, that different folk have varying opinions on the case feeder and it seems to give different people more trouble. I've wondered if this is due to variations in presses. I've had my issues but others seem to have them far worse than me. And, on the opposite end, there's folks that swear by the Hornady LNL and say they have no problems. Wonder if some of it is luck of the draw.

Boolit Master

I had Dillion's 30 years ago and they were good but had problems just the other gear. 550b and SDB Just like anything else it my be the one pulling the handle.

Boolit Master

I've had three of them. I could never get the primer system to run 100% on any of the three.

I now have a pair of Dillon 650's and they run like a violated ape.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 8shot View Post
    I understand that & have progressive presses...but do not have experience with the Hornady...that's what my question focused on.

They work: the best about the bushing system you use can use them other presses like Lee and RCBS.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys...appears that some like, some don't like the Hornady. Also, some like, some don't like the Dillon

No biggie...none will be available for a while...actually a long while now that we have certain people in charge. Now I need to start a thread about ultrasonic parts cleaners.

I had a Pro-Jector for years, then got out of shooting for awhile.
    Getting back in, I got the new generation LNL AP.
    I like it. It has what I liked about the Pro-Jector, with a greatly improved powder drop and primer feed.

Other selling points for me was it has 5 stations instead of 4,
    and the frame is offset so I can see the powder level and set the boolit onto the case easier as the shell plate comes around..

I had problems with the primer feed and powder drop adjustments & setup-----
    until I reluctantly read the directions. Now, they're both fine.

The LNL bushing thing is made to compete with the quick change tool head swap out feature the others have.
    For me, its a solution to a problem I don't have, and don't care for it.
    I only load handgun ammo with it, and will load up all I'll shoot in one caliber for at least a year, then change over to another.
    I took off the 'O' rings and JB welded the bushings into the frame. I let the lock rings on the dies hold them like the old style did.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    You really need to post a picture of that as I just can’t imagine this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case feeder 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	275040

Name:	Case Feeder 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	275041

Name:	Case Feeder 3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	275042

Hope this helps. The "Sticks" are just paint stirrers hot glued together.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast