Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a little help please

Boolit Buddy
    Ms. Tatu,

forgive me if I am out of line for asking, but do you allow hog hunting on your property? If you do, could you please tell me a little bit about it. PM is fine as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Curious to know what county in Texas you are in. I want to avoid visiting a place where 1000lb russian boars live.

Boolit Buddy
    Ms. Tatu,

I just sent you a PM.

Thank you for taking the time to provide so much information, and we really look forward to the possibility of a wild hog hunt.

I posted a picture of a 500 pound boar here on the forum that my wife killed a couple of years ago, and it was a BIG animal. A week later, we went back to the same place and I shot a small 240 pound hog, and while we were dragging it out, we saw one of those 1,000 "black volkswagens" that you mentioned, and I tell you what, that was a huge animal! I could not believe how quiet it was able to run through the woods, considering it's massive size.

Boolit Grand Master

Tatu, after reading all that you have written I'm sorry I live all the way across the country from you folks. You are salt of the earth people.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tatu, you're neat for helping your 'other half' get casting, so are Victor & his wife plus so many of the good members on here

I did want to mention one safety item, mark the spoon(s) you use in casting with "lead" on the handle or the like, I know someone who got their skimming spoon accidentally run through the dishwasher & it could have been used to eat with if they hadn't recognized it; They re-ran that dishwasher load. Just plain a bad idea to use a skimming tool to eat with

And using protective gear is a good idea (As a kid I didn't have or use much PPE, but I am a very meticulous, almost OCD but very conscious of what I'm doing, careful person.) Burns from splashed lead would be no fun!

Good to see you up to good things here

An alloy with more lead will weigh more than another alloy so it is not unusual that your boolits are a bit heavier especially lubed and checked. Those numbers are very good for such a heavy boolit, it looks like Dean is an experienced loader who knows his stuff. I'm very happy that things worked out so well for him. No more store bought projectiles wooohooo.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Great to support one another, that's THE way to make life work well

500 is a good start, and those kids will remember and learn

I am guessing that coating is maybe motor mica or Molybdenum Disulphide, there are other coatings though. It sounds like it is working very well, quarter or so size groups at 60 yards will put dinner on the table etc.!

The bullet alloy used will change the bullet's weight, with the results he's getting I'd say "All is well!" For plinking a lot of folks don't even weight sort, for higher accuracy loads weight sorting is a good idea.

Only 3 feet/sec variance in 6 rounds sounds like he has things set up right, that's a good stout load for 300 grain cast bullets but I imagine he's making sure the cases eject easily without having to use a hammer etc. and I imagine they hit game like a bolt of lightning. Looks like a good plan to me, he's been reloading jacketed bullet before, so he's getting a great start on cast

Boolit Buddy

Tatum
    I just stumbled onto this thread and would like to thank you for your stories and the great support you and Your family has extended to the people of the Cast Boolits site. You and hubby has a very special relationship there. My wife will plink 22's with me once a year but other than that she does not get involve with any thing else. She does not complain about the quantity of items I purchased because she knows how deeply rooted into hunting and shooting that I am.

Great service with providing the hog hunts. Not having any hogs in my state I have been trying for the last couple of years to go on a good down to earth hog hunt. Not some place where you pay big money to have a hog released from a cage and run it down.

Thanks very much
    Mike

I shoot a Remington 1100 more than any other shotgun
    I just gotsta ask... < Big Grin >
    Do you break it down and clean the magazine tube/gas rings after an afternoon at the Skeet/Trap range ?
    (Now that's true love)

I don't know if you are serious or making fun....
    It was a BIG Smile Tatu.

There is a classic scene/line in the 1958 movie "The Big Country" w/ Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEA-o4IJAic
    Watch/Listen to what is said at 0:53 sec

My hat is off, Ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    Tatum
    I just stumbled onto this thread and would like to thank you for your stories and the great support you and Your family has extended to the people of the Cast Boolits site. You and hubby has a very special relationship there. My wife will plink 22's with me once a year but other than that she does not get involve with any thing else. She does not complain about the quantity of items I purchased because she knows how deeply rooted into hunting and shooting that I am.

Great service with providing the hog hunts. Not having any hogs in my state I have been trying for the last couple of years to go on a good down to earth hog hunt. Not some place where you pay big money to have a hog released from a cage and run it down.

Thanks very much
    Mike
    I apologize for hijacking this thread for a moment.
    I lived in KY for twenty years- Georgetown- and I hunted hogs in state. There is a hog population being developed in Mcreary county KY. I hunted twice at big south fork and then was disabled. I talked to the federal game warden on the KY side of land between the lakes. He said, 20 years ago, landowners would beg me to shoot hogs. I'm sure the hog population has probably exploded since
    . Once they get their snout in the tent one is in big trouble.

=========

I grew up with hogs and dairy am fascinated with them. We borrowed a boar from my friend named Snorky. He had to have been 500 lbs and stood to my waist. Was the tamest pig you ever saw but you could tell he could be a menace if one got sideways with him. I never understood why my friend kept him so long to get so big but he was part of the family. I joked with my brother he'd probably drive the two gilts feet in the ground like fence posts but they had no problem. Dad wasn't laughing since he thought we'd eat the two babies but he got home to Snorky standing around stupid looking and kind of ruined his hope for fresh bacon.

Boolit Master
    Tatu - I thank you for a wonderful story .

Danzac, Tungsten Disulfide, news to me but it's Moly Disulfide-like with higher temperature capability, nice! He's getting the results he wants, and sounds like you two have the life you want, that's great! Enjoy

There are many YouTube videos of dogs running hogs. They often have scent hounds run the hogs and have fighting dogs that stabilize the hogs by holding the hogs front legs and ears. They usually have heavy safety collars and sometimes jackets. Then, a knife wielder comes up with a knife.and cuts the hogs throat. I love hogs and have a difficult.time watching these videos. ......... I watch videos from Spanish and Portuguese bullfighting farms where they video daily handling of the bulls. The cattle have been bred for hundreds of years for raw violence and hatred of people. I watch these avidly, there are at least 50 videos by two videagraphers. But I can't stand the thought of seeing a bull fight. I guess I am badly twisted

Tatu, you have indeed mesmerized this bunch-myself included- with your charm and candor. Your family sounds like a blessing to each other and that is something that more people need to strive for. Welcome and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Remember that there is no question that needs to go unanswered here because this bunch has a LOT of casting and shooting knowledge that they will gladly share. You and your husband sound like 2 very quick studies for boolit casting. Using the "search" box will answer a lot of questions as will the "sticky's". The one thing that I would caution you about is molds on Ebay. A LOT of those molds have issues and that's why they are there. Once you buy an ebay mold, you can pull your hair out trying to get the thing to drop usable boolits. As you have a lot of 44's, you might want to look at the custom mold makers mentioned on this site. Their products are a few more $ than a generic makers molds but you can get exactly what you want. I just had Accurate Molds make one for me and got it in 10 days from the time I ordered it. Plus, if you have a 44 with large cylinder throats, you can order the mold to fit the big throats and still size the boolits down to match the other 44's with smaller cylinders. I am certainly not badmouthing Lee molds like the 310 you have (my SRH loves that one), but in today's climate of shortages and un-obtainable casting tools, it might be a great place to look. Best of luck and thanks for sharing the great stories, keep 'em coming.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

If it ain't broke.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

How is the penetration of that 310 Lee on those big hogs. I am curious to see if they get complete penetration on that shoulder plate. There is a lot of armor on a 300 pounder!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Good work! I don't think you guys need anything now but a sharp knife!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123