Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: WTB; Another "need cheap zinc" post

Boolit Master

WTB; Another "need cheap zinc" post

Not wanting to hijack a previous thread,, I figured to start one of my own.

The use of zinc for purposes other than scrap gave me an idea. My BSA Troop is working on some upgrades to a few things,, and one of them is new flag stands for the American flag, the Troop flag, and several patrol flags. The idea of using zinc as a base weight,,, well, it struck me as a better option than the cement ones we are having to replace due to breakage.

My casting stuff has very little zinc,, as I acquired several hundred pounds of good lead & such before zinc became an issue.

So,, while many may feel the BSA has crapped in it's own mess kit, and isn't the same as it was,, I agree. Yet,, my Troop hasn't been afflicted with such PC stuff & we still have a good troop with about 40 BOYS!

So,, if anybody has a quantity of zinc they could part with,, with regards to it being very cheap,, (as I may be the one to absorb the expenses,) I'd like to discuss it. I don't know how much we'll need yet,, but I can see about what size these bases need to be,, and give measurements. I'm thinking 12"x12" about 1"-2" thick might be enough weight. We'd need enough to do 8 stands,, maybe 9 to have a spare.

And I can make it a training project for the boys to learn about casting, smelting, etc.

Boolit Master

PM Incoming

Boolit Bub
    I’m sorry I can’t help you with the zinc but just wanted to say your post and the info you shared about your troop is like a good breath of fresh air. Kudos to you and your BOYS and keep up the good work!
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack a previous thread,, I figured to start one of my own.

The use of zinc for purposes other than scrap gave me an idea. My BSA Troop is working on some upgrades to a few things,, and one of them is new flag stands for the American flag, the Troop flag, and several patrol flags. The idea of using zinc as a base weight,,, well, it struck me as a better option than the cement ones we are having to replace due to breakage.

My casting stuff has very little zinc,, as I acquired several hundred pounds of good lead & such before zinc became an issue.

So,, while many may feel the BSA has crapped in it's own mess kit, and isn't the same as it was,, I agree. Yet,, my Troop hasn't been afflicted with such PC stuff & we still have a good troop with about 40 BOYS!

So,, if anybody has a quantity of zinc they could part with,, with regards to it being very cheap,, (as I may be the one to absorb the expenses,) I'd like to discuss it. I don't know how much we'll need yet,, but I can see about what size these bases need to be,, and give measurements. I'm thinking 12"x12" about 1"-2" thick might be enough weight. We'd need enough to do 8 stands,, maybe 9 to have a spare.

And I can make it a training project for the boys to learn about casting, smelting, etc.
    Take a ride to your local tire shops, they will probably give you used zinc wheel weights for free..

Boolit Master

I'll take a look and see what I have, I save the zinc (for what I don't know). Get back to you shortly.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Just looked, not nearly as much out there as I thought maybe 20 lbs or so. It's yours if you want it just pm me where to send it. No idea when I'd get around to sorting more out, it could be years. Sorry I don't have more.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

Let me see what I can find.

Boolit Master
    small flat rate box went out yesterday
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Banned

If you could take pictures and post them of your casting new flag stands project, I for one would be interested in seeing it.

Boolit Master
    Hi Merlin, PM sent on the 20 lbs.

richhodg66,, when we get enough zinc,, and do the casting,, I'll take some pics. Right now,, I'm at about 30 lbs or so, if what's promised comes in. Slow scrounging for sure, but it'll be a fun project.
    Thanks Czech too!