Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor mounted Roto tiller

Boolit Master

Tractor mounted Roto tiller

My question for those of you that might have used one is can you till unbroken ground with one? I've used small ones in my garden in the past after it was plowed, and disc ed, but it would be convenient to get it in one pass.

Thanks
    Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Too many variables, depends on the ground. Under the right conditions some ground can be literally as hard as concrete. The weight, power and type of teeth on the tiller makes all the difference in the world. But under most circumstances, no, multiple times most often is necessary only very few exceptions

Need more details?

Banned
    multiple passes, I have a 6' one on a 2640 JD. They do not get as deep as a plow

Boolit Master
    what parson said. if your tilling an old pasture or land that has not been in production you have to till every 10 days or so or every time new weed seeds sprout. its not like turning sod over with a 14 0r 16" plow and the turf is turned down deep enough to rot.

Boolit Master

Years ago, a neighbor was doing a lot of landscaping, even bought a Kubota tractor. He mentioned wanting a 3 point mounted tiller. I remembered seeing a sale add in the paper for such an item. I found the paper, 8 months old, and gave the add/number to my neighbor. Lady still had it, price the same, he bought it. The soil in Tehachapi CA was hard and rocky, the 8hp tiller handled it just fine. My walk behind 5hp tiller broke tines and wore out PTO shafts on the same soil.

Sure, PTO driven tillers might be more stout than a 3 point 8hp tiller, but I wouldn't think twice about such an implement.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    As noted,, a few more details & the conditions all warrant discussion.
    I have one,, and I only use mine after land has been plowed, disced & turned enough to where the dirt can be worked. And as noted,, roots, rocks etc can ALL make a big difference in things. By plowing,, then discing, & working the dirt,, you can expose most of that stuff,, and deal with it before you try & till it.
    I look at mine as a finishing tool.

Boolit Master
    Yes soil composition is key, if your area is composed of loamy/sand very light material then go ahead however if it is a heavy clay with a stone mix you better pull a plow or some kind of fixed soil breaker thru first, this type of soil will destroy implements faster than you can couple them up. If you can get/rent a soil pulveriser these things are the way to go for virgin ground I've pulled them over stump ridden fields littered with stones that word gut a heavy roto-tiller with little or no effect on the tractor or the equipment.They will however wind up heavy vines and hemp straw and clog (bed springs dont work good either sometimes laying in long grass)

What are you trying to accomplish?
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

Totally depends on the tractor and tiller. With a 5 or 6' heavy duty 3 point tiller, you can probably do most things that don't involve huge rocks. But there is a big different between that and a Craftsman lawn mower with a sheet metal tiller on the back.

I have older Simplicity large frame tractors and with the HD tiller, I can chew up pretty much anything I've encountered. I've never gotten it into clay but I know of guys who use them successfully in those conditions.

Boolit Master

I have had 20 to 30 horse diesel John Deere Tractors with 6 foot tillers for better part of 30 years. Most have already hit the main points; but I will repeat.

(1) If ground has not been tilled in last two years; then break the ground before using the tiler to avoid damage/extreme wear and tear on tractor & tiller. Same applies in rock soil or high levels of cliche soil.

For these conditions; Recommend use of following to prepare soil before tiling:

Subsoiler - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0637_200660637

and/or

middle Buster - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0638_200660638

If the soil has been tilled in the last two years and/or you can easily spade the soil by hand; then use the tiller only.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Plus remember to set the slip clutch every time you use it. Found that out the hard way with broken gears in the tractor.

Mine works on 80% of the ground tilled, the other 20% needed the ground breaker and mold board first.

Boolit Master
    size of tractor and gearing makes a difference, ive found that mine works best when in first gear in lowest gear range. ive never tried using tiller with straight gear box transmission like what is in my old ford 4000. even if I were to put Sherman range selector in low it slows down PTO rpm. you need PTO to be full 540 while wheel speed is crawling at slowest possible setting. when it hits big rocks it just jumps up if speeds are set up right.

When I was in high school, a neighbor had a small Massey Ferguson garden tractor. About 10 hp, single cylinder gas engine.

They had a rear mounted tiller that they used. My recollection is that it worked well. It was very heavy and there were no hydraulic systems to lift or lower - all done with the operator's arm strength.

I say it worked well. It did...right up to the point that a neighbor borrowed it and tried to till up pavement or similar.

I haven't seen a small tractor like that since.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    My question for those of you that might have used one is can you till unbroken ground with one? I've used small ones in my garden in the past after it was plowed, and disc ed, but it would be convenient to get it in one pass.

Thanks
    Bob
    Yes. It can be done, but it takes a BIG heavy tractor and heavy duty roto-tiller.

Boolit Master

I have found weight and speed to be the biggest keys to a good tilling experience. If you go to fast or have a tiller or tractor with no weight things are no going to go well. When I till, I use a 50 hp tractor with wheel weights and water filled tires so it does not get pushed around, the tiller is an old unit with a cast iron frame that weighs a ton and will hold the ground.

I've a small Scut, 29hp, and a 4ft rotary tiller. I've done three different garden spots on my place, And it works great. My issue is to many dang rocks. But it'll till

Boolit Grand Master

Its going to depend on the ground how what its been used for and the actual equipment. Heavy clay ground will work harder than sandy soil. Ground thats been farmed for years will work easier. Hay fields will work very hard do to the root structure holding it together. A pasture or exercise yard even harder do to the compaction from the animals. A drive or path where equipment has been moved for years is the worst. Then theres the tractor to consider a garden tractor with a 3' tiller isnt going to be as capable as a 3-50 hp with a 6 ft. Dad had a 12 hp wheel horse with 3 ft tiller mounted on the back. In the garden it did great but this ground had been worked for years and was black sandy soil it worked up good in one pass. Put that is the yard to make a flower bed and it was struggling.

Once watched them plow a polo field at an area colledge. 4020 diesel tractor 2 bottom plow tractor was spewing solid back coal smoke out the exhaust you could hear it working and struggling with that 2 bottom plow. The years of grass roots building up and the horses running up and down it for years made it almost impossible to plow. I belive that thay even plowed it a second time a few weeks later after a rain of two. That same tractor in our ground and fields would have pulled 6 bottoms with little struggle.

Boolit Buddy

No rocks here, have tilled up hay field ground that wasn't plowed or disced for several years, using a 70 hp tractor and 6 ft tiller. Only enough for a garden and turnip green patch though. Made multiple passes in different directions.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Kubota bx23 and I think a Woods tiller on my 3 point. My soil is rocky. When I used it I took multiple passes and was not as deep as you would probably want. Mine was for creating a food plot and have it for when we do a nice size garden. I will be using screened soil for that. Good luck.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast