Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Paper clip takedown RIA 10mm

Paper clip takedown RIA 10mm

I just purchased a RIA 10mm 1911 that requires a paper clip to hold the compressed recoil spring back on the FLGR for takedown. I find this method to be a real PITA, and woud like to change whatever I need to allow conventional takedown. I considerd adding a Wilson two piece guide rod, but am pretty sure that would not fit due to the unusual spring cap design and bushingless bull barrel. My other thought is to loose the FLGR, and install a standard length guide rod. The paper clip method has already resulted in a couple of sproings, and I would rather come up with another takedown method. Suggestions?
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master

I have one too. After you take it down a few times. It's not so bad. There was a video too. I saw that makes it easy. I don't recall where i saw it though. But take the slide off 1st and proceed.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Thanks. but I saw that video and that method will not work with my style of slide. This slide has a much longer 'enclosed area' at the front than the slide in the video. It will not allow the recoil spring assembly to be pulled out from the back. I cannot raise the FLGR up enough to get it past the barrel foot for normal removal.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."

Boolit Master

This is the one i have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8303.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	274899
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    I have RIA Tac Ultra in 10mm. You cant just pull FLGR straight back. You have to turn it to either side first and get it out of the grove then pull back and it should come out. Hard to explain but he does it around 3min mark in the video below. I'm not sure if thats the one you watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpec-27L2wQ
    Last edited by marek313; 01-07-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor.

My STI 2011 IPSC blaster is like that

with a bull barrel, there is no bushing to work with a regular 1911 spring plug

just live with it

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Well, OK....I saw a different video. That one is better....thanks all!

Boolit Master
    Had one of the RIA TAC II 10mm Commander size guns and ended up selling because I didn't like the nose heavy balance of the bull barrel. Extremely accurate and reliable gun...

It was very easy to take down however. Pull the magazine, pull the slide back to the takedown notch, take out the slide release and slide the slide off the frame. Invert slide, pull out the guide rod/spring assembly and then the barrel...

Bob