Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Getting wired

Getting wired

putting in fine silver and brass wire. I think I have almost 10ft of silver and 2 feet of brass in it right now. Excuse the crappy pics....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2049 (2).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	274850
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2050 (2).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	274851

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It's amazing how fast you use up the wire. I've had a couple times I would run out and wait for an order before I could finish a project.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I buy fine silver in 6"X6" sheets .012 thick and cut strips off with a pair of scissors. Only economical way I have found to do silver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I buy fine silver in 6"X6" sheets .012 thick and cut strips off with a pair of scissors. Only economical way I have found to do silver.
    My shakey scissors (hands ) would take all the fine out of any sheet that holds still long enough/Ed

So how or what holds the wire in the groove that you cut into the wood ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I have ground a assortment of smallish screwdrivers into stabbing tools. The tighter the corner the smaller the tool. The ribbon is + or - 1/16" or so and driven into the groove after the groove has been all stabbed in. Then with a wet sponge soak the area down with water and the wood swells up around the ribbon permanently. I wire and entire area before I wet the wood down. Believe it or not but silver is easier to put in than brass. Brass work hardens while you are cutting it off the sheet. I have to anneal it before I can even put it into the wood.

Thanks for the explanation , I find it amazing that just the swelling of the wood holds it .

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    It is beneficial to get two files, and strip the wire through between them, to give the wire teeth.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It is beneficial to get two files, and strip the wire through between them, to give the wire teeth.
    Thank you that makes sense . I really don't have the artistic abilities to do the wire inlay Ive been a metal worker most of my life but I'm more of a straight line artist ! Lol , but it's good to have the knowledge . If I get bored maybe I'll try it on a piece of pine or scrap wood .

Boolit Buddy
    This example is one of my favorites , so much going on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireinlay.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	274999

Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    This example is one of my favorites , so much going on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireinlay.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	274999
    Typically continental European. You'll not ever see wire of that quality on an American piece.

[QUOTE=RU shooter;5080332]Thank you that makes sense . I really don't have the artistic abilities to do the wire inlay Ive been a metal worker most of my life but I'm more of a straight line artist ! Lol , but it's good to have the knowledge . If I get bored maybe I'll try it on a piece of pine or scrap wood .[/QUO

Straight lines are your enemy in scroll work, regardless of if it is wire inlay or engraving. If there is a flat spot in your curve, and the design doesn't flow, start over! When I was being taught engraving, I did drawings of designs for a month before I was allowed to cut metal.