Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Harbor Freight Powder Coat

Harbor Freight Powder Coat

Have been interested in trying powder coating bullets. I got a toaster oven from Wal Mart and some PC powder from Harbor Freight - white. I'm wondering if I should get powder somewhere else. Have members been doing alright with HF powder? I chose white only because I couldn't decide on a color. Do other colors work better? I have been reading about mixing the powder with plastic air soft pellets. Sounds like they make the powder stick better. Seems like I also read that some color pellets work better than others. Is that true?

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the HF red and it wasn't to bad. then I tried Smokes powder and they worked great. HF powder is setting the shelf and I don't plan on using it if I have some of smokes powder.

Boolit Master
    The white does not cover well. It comes out looking like a speckled egg. You could try it and see how it works. They don't sell the red anymore. I don't use the plastic bb's but some swear by them. You are going to get a lot of different opionions. The best thing to do is try it for yourself and find out what works for you and your situation. I get my powder from the Powder Coat Store.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I personally would not use HF powder. I would recommend getting powder from Smoke to begin with. Or from Prismatic Powder online. If you go with Prismatic, pick a solid color.

Boolit Master

Several years ago, I began experimenting with PC using HF powders and first applied with an electrostatic gun and then using 'shake 'n bake'. ESP worked pretty well but 'shake 'n bake' with HF proved to be pretty much a waste of time. Ordered some powder from Smoke4320 and, since then, have coated and shot several thousand handgun boolits and about half that many for several rifles. If you go with Smoke's, I'd recommend his Carolina Blue; it seems to be about the easiest to work with for a beginner. Myself, I've been using his Clear on everything for the last couple of years without a single issue.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Do you always size after PC?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Monobill View Post
    Do you always size after PC?

Yes. Thickness of PC will vary. Also; to ensure consistent in loading the same dimension is desirable.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    HF red sorta worked for me as my first attempt at PC. Once I finally got Smoke's PC I threw away the HF PC. I use Smoke's clear since that leaves my bullets still looking like lead bullets. Other folks like the painted bullet look so use PC in different colors. Follow directions to bake for 20 minutes at 400°F and you'll be happy.

Boolit Buddy

Is HF even making red anymore or are you guys buying it all up? I haven't been able to find it on the shelf anymore, just white and black.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yobohadi View Post
    Is HF even making red anymore or are you guys buying it all up? I haven't been able to find it on the shelf anymore, just white and black.

I will confess - I am the HOARDER who bought 4 pounds of it 10 years ago. Still have 1/2 pound left; wonder what I will do when I run out. Should have Hoarded Some More back then I guess.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I couldn’t find HF red last year so I bought the white, my plan is to mix what I’ve got to make a ‘pinkish’? Haven’t tried it yet. I shake and bake and got good results from the red. TOO MANY projects going on currently.

Hi I’m new here but I’ve been powder coating Boolits for 4 or 5 years now. HF red has worked ok for me but I end up doing 2 coats. Is Smoke a member. How do you buy from him?

Boolit Master
    This is what your bullets will look like with HF white, the clear covers but the color is scarce. All tumbled in HF double tumbler

This is what Smokes white & other colors look like

Banned

When I started powder coating I hadn't found this site yet and I tried HF's yellow and then their red. The yellow doesn't cover real well, and the red does a little better. If you are very conscientious with the red you can get it to cover pretty well. With that said, I have been on this site for awhile and read many, many posts singing the benefits of smoke4320's PC. I have seen a lot of pics of the results with smokes powders. So much so that even though I still have plenty of the HF stuff, I ordered a pound of smoke's Carolina Blue that should be here very soon. I am doing a casting session this weekend to have some pills to coat. If it performs like I have read, I'll keep the HF for back up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavein View Post
    Hi I’m new here but I’ve been powder coating Boolits for 4 or 5 years now. HF red has worked ok for me but I end up doing 2 coats. Is Smoke a member. How do you buy from him?
    Under the "Forum" tab look under "Vendor Sponsors" for "Smoke's 4320 Corner". that should pull up a list & you should find sales information. A general rule for tumble coating is darker colors coat best, like black, blues & greens. Some reds are a little thin and yellows the worst.

HF white works fine when ESPC coating, poor for shake. It works fine mixed with 'good' shake powder. HF powder was very poor quality epoxy from India/Asia and all you can get now is OLD stock, HF stopped purchasing many yrs ago. Don't know if they even sell the ES gun anymore - just too much good competition.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Like said by popper above - - all HF powders (including black) DO work with ESPC. Not with BBDT! Red sorta works, but get a hold of Smoke and buy his powders. He tests them for performance B4 ever selling them using the BBDT method.

All powders from any manufacturer will work with an ESPC gun - - because that is the way they were engineered to be applied, not in an old coolwhip tub rolling around with black plastic air-soft bb's!

I have been doin' this a l-o-n-g time (2013 or there abouts) and I worked with a bunch of others on here to develop the techniques used.
    ( we discovered HUNDREDS of ways NOT to PC boolits! )

If you are just getting into PC'ing, I would HIGHLY recommend skipping the HF stuff and buying some high quality powers from Smoke and eliminate at least one variable in this "voo-doo magic" process.

I use only ESPC gun application now.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

harbor freight powder is lousy.
    With or w/o BB's.

Smoke's Powders are GREAT.
    I like Ford Light Blue & J.D. Green.
    Also Eastwood Powders work extremely well.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Another suggestion to the OP......stick with PLAIN PRIMARY COLORS at first. Resist the temptation of wild metallic colors and clear-ish coating. Those are for more advanced PC'ers that have the BBDT techniques totally mastered. I will never understand the all the kerfuffle for clear coatings on slugs! I coat boolits for the wide variety of colors effects and ease of sorting weights and designs by color, and not to see plain old lead!!!!!!!!

Lean with plain primary solid colors.

To each his own.

Boolit Master
    Banger, I couldn't agree more, with thousands of colors available why look at plain old lead. For me a bullet color can instantly tell me the caliber, bullet weight, bullet design from across the room. My color can distinguish the difference between a 44 Magnum load for my rifle vs my 44 Magnum pistol, light loads for training or the hot stuff. When you open the oven door there is something to get excited about and not the sameo sameo, just more lead to size.

Colored bullets makes more shooting friends; What Colored Bullets Do You Shoot? is an opening line that starts up a lengthy conversation at the range. Especially when they ask how you did it? Then can you show me how?

The world is not shades of grey, so why limit yourself to that with your bullets?