Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Got back the one that got away

Got back the one that got away

Funny how there's one or even a couple that attach themselves to you on a level the others don't.

Maybe it's because I cut my teeth on reloading with the 480 Ruger but of all the trades/sales I've made in the last few years there was a 480 bisley I had which was the one gun I truly regretted letting go. No thread compression, straight sights, well fitted grips, melted in my hand.. wasn't a Freedom Arms or a Linebaugh, but she was perfect to me man.

I tried to replace her with others, a 500JRH BFR, then the Smiths, tried a 460Rowland 1911, a Gucci Glock, FNX45 with red dot and light, others too... great guns, some with more power, maybe style, but just didn't light my spark. They were fun but I kept looking for something else.

So I started looking online in a GA trade forum we have here. Snagged a 480 Alaskan which got me going "gotta find me another bisley", someone had a 4 5/8" model and I thought, nah, I want a 6.5" again.. then someone else messaged me. The same dude I sold mine to over two years ago. Claimed he hasn't shot it once but has been hording components since.. must have been true because when I opened the case she was as I left her, covered in oil with four 480 snap caps still in the cylinder, so a little wheel and deal for the extra boolits and brass, dies, even the custom Mountainmolds 440gr mold (never thought I'd see that again either) and she's back home... and is never leaving me again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480B.3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	274816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480B.2-SA.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	274817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead-SA.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	274818
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 480A.1-SA.jpg   480B.1.jpg   BFR500JRH.jpg   S&W-SA.jpg   9A82DE8B-8895-415C-B02C-BDB68CB7BDC1.jpg  

Last edited by Rug480; 01-06-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Glad you were able to get it back and made whole again.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Thanks Dude, got lucky and it may be a little silly but I'm pretty damn happy I got her back.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like she fits your hand nicely. Congrats

That's an impressive battery, Rug480. Sometimes it's hard to replace one you let go even with the same model. Getting the same exact pistol back is very unsual. It happened to me just once when I spotted one on GunBroker.com that I had given to a guy as a gift almost 20 years ago, and was now for sale in a pawn shop three states away. I bid on it, won it, and it was a great feeling to hold that same pistol again.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    I love a happy ending. There are about 2-3 guns I sold about 25 years ago that I couldn’t even dream of finding now but would gladly purchase another of the same model of each if I could find them. My “ones that got away” include;
    1) Ruger Blackhawk “Buckeye Special” 32 Combo (32 H&R and 32-20)
    2) Series 70 Colt Combat Commander 45 in electroless nickel with interchangeable blue 38 Super conversion
    3) An antique Marlin (not a handgun) Model 1893 lever gun in 32 RF/CF
    There have been many others, but generally I’ve found something to “scratch my itch” for all but these three. I completely understand Rug480’s quest. Congratulations on the best possible outcome.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Last summer I scored a 1987 made Super Blackhawk and it has quickly become a favorite. Easy to shoot well and almost a must have for a boolit caster. Same for a 4" 1957 K38. I have let some good ones go too over the years but never again.

Boolit Master
    Nice to get that back along with all the goodies
    I have been lusting for a Bisley 480 for a while , don't know how much longer I can resist it.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on getting your dream gun back in your hands! I hate to let things go, and seldom do, but I know how you feel..
    Somethings you just kick yourself as soon as you part company with.
    i screwed up and let a 410 double shot gun get away many years ago. Way cool gun, but was too expensive to shoot unless you reloaded for it. At the time that was not possible, so like a dummy I traded it for a High Standard 22 semi auto.
    Still have the gun, but would trade back in a second, if I had the chance.
    I have a redhawk in 44 mag, and its the better shooter of the two 44's that I own, with the other being a Model 29. I love the Alaskan, and would like to have one myself. I would probably have to shoot light loads in it though..
    The .480 is too much for me.... I know my limitations.

Boolit Master
    Congrats,I know the feeling.

Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago: my local vendor said "By the way,we have your old 2 1/2" model 66-4 here for sale again." I bought that one the first time in -96 or so.

I usually trade things without worries but that particular pistol had been bugging me... Even the grips (they had been changed) were found just a few months ago.

Great story. Glad you got it back. I’ve got 2 Ruger MarkII Government Model .22’s. A good friend had the 2nd one I’ve got and when he had it I fell in love with it and told him I wanted it if he ever sold it. Time went on and I found a brand new one at the local gun shop so bought it. He finally sold his and another friend bought it. We were at work and were talking about it, he wanted to sell it and I had a LCP that I didn’t like (which he did) so a trade and a couple of $$ and I had the MarkII that started the circle. It’s staying with me until my end and then my boys will both get one of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I love a happy ending.
    Congratulations on the best possible outcome.

Froggie
    Yep, I too love a story with a happy ending.

Boolit Master
    This is funny as it happened to my shooting partner this week too. He had let a very nice RBH midsize 357 Magnum go to a friend of his. It was one of those "why the heck did you do that" kinda things.

He had just mentioned to me a late last week that he wanted to try and buy the revolver back. We'd done a lot of work to that particular RBH and he now wished he hadn't let it go (I had said to him that he would want it back). The guy who bought the revolver called him out of the blue and asked if he wanted to trade it back for another pistol. Weird how that worked out. We had both forgotten that it was a 357 Convertible and that the 9mm cylinder had never been used (we're not sure if it has even been taken out of the little drawstring bag).

Boolit Master

Yes, good story........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I don’t sell guns anymore I just buy them no more sales.

Moderator Emeritus

I had one of those as well...
    I regretted the sale of a certain gun...a Rifle. That sale started to bother me about a year later. So I get ahold of the buyer, turns out had he bought dies, acquired some brass and formed it (wildcat) and loaded 20 rds and he shot it a few times. It wasn't his cup of tea, I guess, because he tells me, he had plans to "flip it" at the next gunshow. He tells me, that I had good timing. I say..."Very Lucky timing", as I am jones-ing to get it back. I did pay him enough, so he got a $100 profit, but it was still a steal of a price to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Glad you got yours back! I had a similar story with a Remington 1187 upland 20ga. I had to sell it back in 2011, got what I originally thought was mine back in 2020 from GB. Same city, etc. Figured out it wasn’t the same exact gun when I went through my S/N’s. Either way, it’s the same model and in the same condition, so I’m just as happy as you are! Have a great 2021, and enjoy that 480.