RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Win 231 or Unique in your handloads?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester 231 (Or that Hogdon Equivalent)

90 40.72%
  • Unique (whoever manufactures that)

131 59.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Win231 vs Unique: Which do you prefer? What do you use it in?

I'm pretty fond of Hp 38 and Unique. I just bought an eight pound jug of HP 38 (that should last a while) and can use it in every pistol and revolver I load, 32ACP to 45 Colt. I also use Unique in a lot of handgun calibers but also use it in my rifle loads. If I were to be limited to just one powder from here on, I'd opt for Unique. Gp

Boolit Master
    I use both, 231 meters better so I use it in the 380 and 32L generally. Unique has more data for rifle loads and is more useful to me across the board. I keep it in 8 lb increments for shotgun and 44special, so it’s always on hand. 231 I but when it’s on sale, still shooting from a 2 1/2 lb (I think) can I don’t even remember buying!
    If only one powder, unique would be way up the list, 231 not even on the list.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    derek...if that SOOT was caused by Unique I can only say this is my 50th year loading both cast and jacketed bullets with it and none of my guns EVER looked like that... I crimp my loads with Unique the same as I would with H110 and never get more than a film of powder on the gun. And the harder Unique is pushed the less soot there is...

To the original question, I can use Unique for everything from .22 Jet to .500 S&W and .223 to .405 Winchester...

Have used barrels of 231/HP-38 when I was a commercial loader as it was less expensive per round than Unique, metered more accurately and the loads performed well.

But Unique has a versatility that no other powder has...which is why whoever formulated it called it Unique....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    derek...if that SOOT was caused by Unique I can only say this is my 50th year loading both cast and jacketed bullets with it and none of my guns EVER looked like that... I crimp my loads with Unique the same as I would with H110 and never get more than a film of powder on the gun. And the harder Unique is pushed the less soot there is...

To the original question, I can use Unique for everything from .22 Jet to .500 S&W and .223 to .405 Winchester...

Have used barrels of 231/HP-38 when I was a commercial loader as it was less expensive per round than Unique, metered more accurately and the loads performed well.

But Unique has a versatility that no other powder has...which is why whoever formulated it called it Unique....

Bob
    All my revolver loads get a firm roll crimp.

I bought that GP100 about a year ago, it's a new 7 shot.

I figured I'd break her in hard and fast, and shot the hell out of it.

It shoots good, and unique cleans up easily

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I use both powders but in the last few years I mostly use WW 231 in my .45 colt rifle & revolver , my .357 contender& encores , my .327 rifle & revolver and in my .32 magnum contender , I find it meters great with little to no variation using Lee Pro powder measures on my Ponsness Warren P 200 press .

Regards Paul

Boolit Master
    First off HP-38 and win 231 are the exact same powder. The only difference is the container they put it in at the manufacturing plant. They come out of the exact same vat! I use both, which ever one I can get. I use them in 9 mm 38 special and 9 x 18 Makarov. As for unique it is literally one of the oldest smokeless powder’s. If I could only get one powder ever it would be unique! In my opinion it is the most versatile powder there is! You can use it for shotguns, pistols, and rifles. I have used it extensively in all the above mentioned calipers in addition to loading it in 30-06. There are many many many more calibers that it’s applicable to. Hope this helps
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    First off HP-38 and win 231 are the exact same powder. The only difference is the container they put it in at the manufacturing plant. They come out of the exact same vat! I use both, which ever one I can get. I use them in 9 mm 38 special and 9 x 18 Makarov. As for unique it is literally one of the oldest smokeless powder’s. If I could only get one powder ever it would be unique! In my opinion it is the most versatile powder there is! You can use it for shotguns, pistols, and rifles. I have used it extensively in all the above mentioned calipers in addition to loading it in 30-06. There are many many many more calibers that it’s applicable to. Hope this helps
    Thank you very much for all of your info! I'll be sure to hunt down some Unique and try that out in the future.
    Glad to know that Win231 was a fine choice for the calibers that we are using!

Unique seems to be just about the most useful powder (for me) that ive ever tried. It works for so many different calibers, both pistol and rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Ive only used w231 in.45Acp and .38special. I liked it.
    Ive shot Unique since I started reloading. I like many who posted find Unique the most useful powder Ive ever used. I like it more than 231. It has more applications for me.
    I would choose it If I had to choose just one powder.
    Last edited by doulos; 01-07-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both 231/HP38 and Unique on my shelf and use the Unique far more. In fact, I sold 3lbs of 231 to a member here for what i paid as it was just collecting dust just keeping an opend lb jar.. For target loads I pretty much stick to Promo but will use others for kicks once in a while. I just loaded some 10mm up with Bullseye which is another one I don't use for much.

Like others here I think, I tend to stick to a few but have a bunch of different on my shelf. Universal, Titegroup, 231, Bullseye and others I have but don't use.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

Unique for me. Right now I scoop and weigh and Unique is easier to work with. Unique is also the more versatile of the two in my experience. Right now Unique has working good loads in .32 acp, 9x19 and .38 Special that I am using.

However w231 meters better and if I get a powder dropper it will probably be stuffed withW231 or Vihtavuori. As I wish to have more production volume in 9x19, W231 is an excellent choice.

I may stop reloading.32 later this year but Unique will always have a home in my .38 Special cases. I could see the W231 outshining the Unique in 9x19.

In .357 I am liking W572 and W244 but I am just a relative noob in that caliber.

Boolit Master
    I have unique but have almost quit using it in favor of 231 or universal clays. I use either of these for 9mm, 7,62x25, 38spl and 45acp. Both go through all of my powder measures better than unique. I use unique in what little shotgun ammo I load.

Boolit Grand Master

I use both but use unique in most of my cast rifle loads and some shotgun. It was designed to be used in all guns and that's what I do with it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I used to love W-231 for loading .45 ACP, but then I discovered VV N-310 so I voted for Unique, it's handy for .32 H&R Magnum, .45 Colt and .44 Special.

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer 231. I use it in 38 spl, 357 mag, 45acp, 9mm luger, 327 fed mag.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use WW-231 in just about every handgun cartridge I load. From 32 ACP to 45 Colt I have good loads. I became a fan back in the late 80's early 90's when Bullseye and Unique suddenly became scarce in my neck of the woods, but Winchester powders were common as dirt. I do like Unique in the 44 Special and 45 Colt and try to keep it on hand, but 231 meters better and gives better accuracy in the cartridges I shoot the most--9mm and 38 Spl.
    That said, there is about 12 pounds of 231 in my powder magazine, and 6 or seven pounds of Unique.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I started reloading with W231, so I just kept going with it. I use 3 powder mostly, W231/HP-38, Bluedot, W296/H110. The W231 is for all light loads/factory loads 38sp, 9mm, 45acp 44sp, 32h&r, etc. I like the Bluedot for the upper end mag loads (80-90%), and the W296/H110 for full power mag loads. I use other powders but those 3 are my main go to powders, and seem to cover most of my needs.

Mike

I like W231 in pistols, but my main use for Unique is reduced loads in rifles, 10 grains at a time. To my knowledge you cannot do reduced rifle loads with anything but Bullseye, Unique, or 2400.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

I use/have used W231 in 25 auto, 32 H&R mag, 380 auto, 9mm, 38 Spl, 41 mag, 44 Spl/Mag, 45 auto, 45 Colt, and 480 Ruger. I have used 1 pound of Unique and thought it was fairly dirty so didn't buy more. I liked the W231 better.

For powders closer to Unique I use VV 3n37, Universal.. slower still = Blue Dot, AA7, Longshot.

Banned
    I don't know how many pounds of WW231 [HP-38] I've burned over the years but it is probably more than any other powder I've used.

Unique is a useful powder to have on hand due to the many applications that is is suitable for. However, it seems to like being close to the upper limits of pressure for a cartridge(not a huge factor) and it doesn't always meter well (which can be a deal breaker in some progressive presses).

Due to some unexplained geographical oddity, Bullseye was hard to come by in my early reloading days but WW231 was always available and cheap. So, 231 became my "go-to" pistol powder. That turned out well for me, YMMV.

I probably burned more 231 in 38 Special cases than all the other powders on my shelf put together. It is also a favorite in 45ACP for me.
    In the last few years, I transitioned my 38 Special loads to Bullseye but there will always be a few pounds of 231 on my shelf.

During the component shortages of the Obama years, I never ran out of 231 but I did try some other powders for handgun loads. When that shortage was over, I stocked up on 231, Bullseye, WSF, WST, etc. It seems the faster powders are the first to get scarce.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast