Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Picking cast boolit designs

Boolit Bub

Picking cast boolit designs

I have two micro grove lever action rifles. A .35 Remington (a carbine) and a .444 (a long rifle), both are suppressed and used for hunting deer, currently with factory loads. I want to switch to cast for both but I don’t know where to start. There are so many different options for cast loads that I don’t know what type to choose.

I’d like to get the most yardage possible and both rifles seem to shoot different loads pretty well. Is there a “general” go to cast load that would be a good choice? Money isn’t a real concern but isn’t something that I wish to waste either. I have a literal ton of lead and the reloading equipment and have done casting in the past (hence why I have all the lead).

I would sure appreciate any input that anyone would be willing to provide.
    Blackhorse Scout

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    First you need to decide if you are going to powder coat. I would strongly suggest it. Are you ready to buy a custom mold or do you plan to start with something offered by Lee, which will narrow your choices. If you are ready to go for a custom mold, you can get a plain sided (no grease grooves but provisions for a gas check if you plan to use one).

As for boolit weight, I would go with something close to what you have been using with jacketed, unless you have a particular reason to change it. If you are looking to go subsonic, a heavier slower boolit may be something to consider. Maybe you wouldn’t need a gas check either. Perhaps others have experience in that subject and can advise.

There are people who say cast boolits don’t shoot well in a micro groove barrel. My .45/70 shoots them just fine, weather they are PCed, greased or paper patched. Black powder or modern smokeless. There are others on this forum who agree with me.

Good luck!
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 01-06-2021 at 03:29 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input. As to your comments, I am interested in PC but not fully set up for it (working on that). I’m ok with a custom mold if that’s what’s required or in the best interest. I really don’t know what’s best when it comes to a gas check (using or not using). I’m not planning on subsonic since these are already super quiet. The can makes for better group, sound, and recoil control overall. I’m not interested in getting every ounce of quiet out of it. As for cast v’s non cast in a micro grove barrel, I’ve shot factory cast 265 and hand load jackets and they both have similar groups in both rifles, so I don’t see an issue with using cast in them.
    Blackhorse Scout

Boolit Buddy
    It is a fallacy that Marlin Micro-Groove barrels will not shoot cast bullets accurately if the bullets correctly fit the bore. Have a 375 Winchester chambered 336 with a fast twist (1:12") Micro-Groove barrel and shot cold it will put two shots touching @ 60 yards all day long using 255 grain GC bullets loaded to about 2,000 fps. Recoil is a little stiff but not as bad as a 45-70 300 grain @ 1,800 fps.
    I would be concerned about lead fouling of the suppressor. It is my understanding that suppressor manufacturers are hesitant about the use of uncoated cast lead bullets in their cans.

Boolit Bub
    All of my cans are user serviceable. I always buy them so I can shoot cast and clean them regularly
    Blackhorse Scout

Boolit Master

For the 35 the "Gold Standard" is the RCBS 35-200 or one of it's copies. I shoot a 444 also but don't remember the designation of the mold from Accurate molds. Be sure your 35 caliber bullet will drop at least a .360" bullet. Contact Tom at Accurate molds and have him help you choose a mold in the weight of your choice with his "Marlin nose". Be sure a .444 mold drops a bullet of at least .432" diameter.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Rick,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I’ll move forward as directed. Thank you sir.
    Blackhorse Scout

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    PC may keep down leading in the can.
    You can order a GCed mold and shoot the boolits without the gas check especially if they are PCed.
    The point I was making is that Microgroove barrels do work just fine with lead boolits.

Boolit Master
    WFNfeed best SWC/Keith seem to shoot more accurately . just what ive found at longer ranges