Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, I'm confused. Help straighten me out.

Boolit Master

I really like it - it doesn't keyhole in my cheapo .300 BLK barrel and it's accurate.

Last edited by AndyC; 01-12-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Bub
    awesome. It's on my want list but it's currently sold out.

Boolit Master

Any of his other similar molds should work fine too.
    My Iraq Pics

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I really like it - it doesn't keyhole in my cheapo .300 BLK barrel and it's accurate.

I noticed this very similar mould:
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-5-cavity-gc/

Now understand how new I am to casting, hence this question. The mould above uses a gas check. Would I be correct in thinking that I don't absolutely need to put a GC in place and it should still work fine at subsonic velocity? But if I want to push velocity at some point it's there making the mould more versatile? If this info' is required I plan on coating with Hi-Tek and I'll be using COWW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Now understand how new I am to casting, hence this question.
    No worries - I'm not new to casting but there are still many things about it that I've not experienced myself either

I'm not sure how someone is going to be able to push a heavy 225-gr 30-cal bullet fast enough that it *needs* a gas-check anyway, but there probably some of those folks around

As you've said, you don't need a gas-check at subsonic velocities/pressures - and I don't believe I've seen anyone complain about their accuracy when shot that way.

However, it might be a moot question after all - I went back a page on the NOE site and they have 2 plain-based molds available (as I write this) in the same style - a 4-cavity aluminum and a 5-cavity aluminum:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...10-225-rn-ce3/
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Thanks. How did I miss that?

I was thinking more along the lines of using it in .308 Win.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    No worries - I'm not new to casting but there are still many things about it that I've not experienced myself either

I'm not sure how someone is going to be able to push a heavy 225-gr 30-cal bullet fast enough that it *needs* a gas-check anyway, but there probably some of those folks around

As you've said, you don't need a gas-check at subsonic velocities/pressures - and I don't believe I've seen anyone complain about their accuracy when shot that way.

However, it might be a moot question after all - I went back a page on the NOE site and they have 2 plain-based molds available (as I write this) in the same style - a 4-cavity aluminum and a 5-cavity aluminum:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...10-225-rn-ce3/
    It's very easy to push a 225 gr 30 cal bullet to over 2000 fps. You might not be able to to it in a 300 Blackout but even in a Blackout you can get 225 gr bullets to around 1500 fps. Take a look at heavy bullet data and note the pressure is very low. It's just assumed that everyone want to run them slow.

Also I've found in my AR pistol that gas checked bullet is a bit more accurate.
    NRA Benefactor.

OK, I ordered the NOE 5 cavity mould with GC since it gives me the most options. It's backordered and I have no idea what their workload is like. Probably swamped and it'll take awhile. But I probably won't be able to melt lead for 2 more months anyway unless we get an early spring so no big deal.

Again, casting for .308 (.300 BLK first) and coating bullets. Ordering sizing dies now. I see Midway lists LEE .309 and then jumps to .311, no .310. I have no idea what size I'll need initially or down the road. Are those 2 sizes reasonable or would the .311 be unreasonable for .308? For $20 I just soon have it on hand if the need arises for other .308s in inventory unless it's just completely insane for .308.

Thanks for the guidance gents, and the patience. I will eventually learn, really, all in time.

I've seen punches listed with moulds (were they nose punches?) what are they for?

I'm loaded with questions. One that I was going to ask was about lightweight cast bullets at supersonic velocity and GCs. I found this article that sorta cleared it up for me. http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_10_GCkorPB.htm

I think I'm better off just buying jacketed bullets (110-125 gr) for ~2000fps. Since I strongly suspect (know?) that I'll be at the worst of both velocity and pressure out of a 10" barrel to get at that velocity, and it's in an AR15. He mentions in the article that those combined are tough on a cast bullet. I don't know if it'll give me gas port issues but I do know that I don't want to find out. I think I'll play it safe.
    Last edited by BJK; 01-13-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    It's very easy to push a 225 gr 30 cal bullet to over 2000 fps. You might not be able to to it in a 300 Blackout but even in a Blackout you can get 225 gr bullets to around 1500 fps. Take a look at heavy bullet data and note the pressure is very low. It's just assumed that everyone want to run them slow.

Also I've found in my AR pistol that gas checked bullet is a bit more accurate.
    Cool - I stand corrected, then - thanks!
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Again, casting for .308 (.300 BLK first) and coating bullets. Ordering sizing dies now. I see Midway lists LEE .309 and then jumps to .311, no .310. I have no idea what size I'll need initially or down the road. Are those 2 sizes reasonable or would the .311 be unreasonable for .308? For $20 I just soon have it on hand if the need arises for other .308s in inventory unless it's just completely insane for .308.
    .309 is by far the most common. Of course, you'll be told that one should "slug the bore" by driving a soft bullet through it and measuring, but 99% of folks with a .308 or .300 BLK will be much better-suited with a .309 sizer over a .311.

I've seen punches listed with moulds (were they nose punches?) what are they for?
    Some lube-sizers push the cast bullet down into the sizing die by pressing down on the bullet's tip - RCBS, Lyman, etc - and to avoid damaging the nose-profile, a suitable shape of top-punch should be used.

See this short video: https://youtu.be/VVeb2YdJQZU?t=122

Other systems such as the Lee and Star sizer push the bullet by the base through the sizing die - Lee upwards, Star downwards - so no top-punch for the nose is needed.
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-13-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

NOE sells an awesome sizing setup that covers any possible size you could need.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Second that - I use the NOE adapter/dies in my Star sizer (punches in diff diameters from Lathesmith) and they're great.
    My Iraq Pics

Thanks gents.

I looked at the NOE sizer but it made no sense to me and there was no guidance that I found as to what needed to be ordered, so I moved on.

Boolit Master

You needed the die body, bushings, and a push rod.

All ya had to do was ask.

Die body https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...size-die-body/

Bushing https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...0cal-bushings/

Push rod https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...push-rod-30pr/

The push rods for each caliber are buried in the bushings.

The startup cost for the NOE system is a bit more, but as you start to cast for more and more cartridges it starts becoming less expensive. I have a Star so I use the Star Adaptor. I started off with the die body and still have it.
    NRA Benefactor.

I may need to move on the NOE in the future. Right now I have the LEE sizers either in hand or shipped and on their way.

Old guy brain fart evidence... I forgot to order NOE mould handles. Are their handles special for their moulds or can I use either Lyman, MP, or Lee handles?

Boolit Buddy
    Old guy brain fart evidence... I forgot to order NOE mould handles. Are their handles special for their moulds or can I use either Lyman, MP, or Lee handles?
    Don't feel bad,, I ordered the same mold (no GC, though),, and then sent NOE an email as to what I needed for a handle,,
    I never heard back,, that was Monday,, the mold should be here (according to USPS) on Monday.

Someone here should know for both of us. Their website does have a phone number that I didn't call (found under the logo if I remember correctly). I figured I'd try here first. No sizer fiasco similar to what happened days ago when I didn't ask.

I'm not too upset since I have time. I cast outdoors and even if we get an early spring that still means late March pretty much at the earliest (sooner would be better). A great deal can happen between now and late March. We get our worst storms then (Maine).

Boolit Master

The jaws on the Lee handle are the same thickness as the NOE so they fit the slots, but there is a 1/8" difference between the spread of the jaws at the pins, with the NOE being smaller. The pin holes are approximately 1/64" smaller in the NOE Handles. The NOE wood grips are pinned in place, slightly shorter, slightly larger in diameter and the NOE handles weigh about a half ounce more. So the differences appear to be very little.
    From this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-on-NOE-Mould
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-15-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Thanks Andy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast