Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: An alloy question

Boolit Mold

An alloy question

Not new to casting as I have been casting BPCR bullets for many years, however, I picked up a new rifle. A Winchester 1885 chambered in 30-40 Krag with grooves that slugged right at 308. Have a .310 gas check mould for an approximate 220 grain bullet and will be using WC872 powder to start with. Have plenty of virgin pure lead and tin on hand along with 16-1/20-1 ingots.

Not having experience outside of black powder bullets I would like to know what would be a good alloy to start with for the combination of powder, bullet and rifle above?

Thank you Gentlemen,

Boolit Master
    One of the nice things about the 30-40 Krag is that, if you want, it can shoot heavy cast bullets all the way up to the same velocity as jackeded. Your going to need an alloy that has some antimony in it. Either clip on wheel weights or Lyman #2 would work fine. These alloys give you the option of quenching to achieve more hardness, or of being air cooled. Before you start out, I would highly recommend that you go to the list of sticky's on the Cast Boolit threads and download the book "From Ingot to Target". This is a wealth of very good information, and will answer many of your questions.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, I was thinking that Lyman #2 would be an answer that I would receive.

Boolit Master
    What velocity you are targeting matters but you need some antimony for the best alloys.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Not looking for a hot rod load, mostly target out to 600 and possibly a deer or elk. At this point I will see what I get from the WC872 powder and work on velocity from there. May try some surplus H4831 that I have.

HP,
    I would give the 16-1 alloy a try, with a GC. As per usual, start low and work up. It will probably be easier to use something with antimony in it if you want to shoot faster velocities. Heat treating can help. WWs, LY #2, COWW+2%tin/pure; all will work. I like your rifle. Please let us know if/when you take a deer/elk with it. Have fun.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman