Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got access to real BP pressure curves ?

Has anyone got access to real BP pressure curves ?

There's an awful lot of "as reported on the internet" and hand-drawn pictures out there.
    And an absolutely incredible amount of "...it's well-known..." knowledge.
    But does anyone have real data comparing BP v Smokeless pressure curves in BPCR cartridges?

Driftwood Johnson's Post in [Brand-X] three years ago and TexMac http://www.texas-mac.com/Black_Powde...bturation.html begin to address. Taken together the two articles begin to tackle the screaming & yelling matches that go on about what's best for bullet obturation to seal the barrel for cast loads.

I maintain that a fast smokeless powder is far more effective in "upsetting" the cast lead projectile in that regard, when compared to BP. Others take almost a religious zeal in claiming that it's "well known" [aka settled science] that BP gives the fastest "bang" as an explosive. (and then they cite burning powder trails of BP vs smokeless on one's open-air driveway as to the "burn speed" advantages of BP -- which is of course irrelevant.)

While directly applicable to relative risetimes, the texas-mac article limits the discussion to SR4759 -- which was deliberately developed to have pressure risetimes akin to BP. Others state that while smokeless does rise precipitously, "black powder beats it out at the start."

I think Driftwood's presentation puts that in perspective. The key is "equal outcome" -- projectile velocity when exiting the barrel.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-10703480

(A well-worn image, but one directly applicable to the kind of ballistics of many heavy BCPR cartridges w/ cast bullets)

Since that velocity is a function of work done on the bullet, and that total work is a function of area under the pressure-time curve, the lower/slower BP curve produces the same velocity and rolls over onto peak, and off of peak, at far lower peak than smokeless -- FAR lower.

Meanwhile, the smokeless literally races past that BP peak, in about the same timeframe, to more than twice the pressure. A really sharp "punch" as opposed to a shove. (others will note the short/initial BP rise ahead of the smokeless very early in the game. But that poops out at very low pressures -- far lower than required to begin bullet/material deformation of even the softest alloys)

This is where I would submit that effective bullet upset/obturation occurs -- that sharp high-pressure punch well above Brinell-derived deformation pressure of the alloy (BN*1,420psi) -- and gives significant advantage to smokeless for cast bullet shooters.

Thoughts, rejections, additions.... ? better data ? better logic?
    Last edited by mehavey; 01-05-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Maybe the black powder fouling just makes a better gasket.

Boolit Master
    That has been something I've asked about a couple of times and never got any straight answers. I'd LOVE to see a pressure graph of BP with a set size bullet, then similar pressure traces using same rifle, bullet, etc with several different smokeless powders, from fast to slow. I've been assured that QuickLoads gives decent approximate pressure graphs for smokeless powders. If so, all we need are some black powder pressure curves.

In the pressure graphs shown in the first link, under the right side of graph labeled as "est pressure", there is a column labeled "Peak" with values like "182", "209" and I'm not sure what that is. Should it be read as "18200 psi"? the last column listed as "Rise" I'm making the assumption that is the rise time in microseconds from time of 25% to 75% max pressure.

Thanks for starting the thread, let's see if any good answers are given.

Boolit Master
    It would be nice to see the curves. Black powder is kind of a weird puppy. It has a really robust response to pressure that I do not think the shotgun data above fully explores.

The analytical work I did many decades ago showed a very sharp pressure spike with black powder. But, that was with burn rate info that was extrapolated from artillery stuff, so, results are not conclusive.

Boolit Master
    You know there is a guy on this forum that can do this. I think it would take a community effort to support this development but what a wonderful project it would

I am sure that Larry had a barrel instrumented in a 44 caliber cartridge that he could produce pressure traces for various propellants including BP and Subs and smokeless. This would be a wonderful project if we can provide Larry ammo to test.

If he can test 44-40 I woujld produce ammo for test but I may be wrong and only 44 special or 45 colt need apply. I will PM Larry if he does not respond.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    You know there is a guy on this forum that can do this. I think it would take a community effort to support this development but what a wonderful project it would

I am sure that Larry had a barrel instrumented in a 44 caliber cartridge that he could produce pressure traces for various propellants including BP and Subs and smokeless. This would be a wonderful project if we can provide Larry ammo to test.

If he can test 44-40 I woujld produce ammo for test but I may be wrong and only 44 special or 45 colt need apply. I will PM Larry if he does not respond.

Tim
    I'm 99% sure Larry has already done this. I seem to remember a comparison between FFFg and FFFFg in a pistol of some kind.

Boolit Master
    I remember Larry talking about doing some work on this but I was never able to find actual results. I suspect BP will give as much pressure as a properly chosen (NOT Bullseye, etc) smokeless at similar velocity.

I'd love for you to find the thread with the pistol BP curves. That would give some idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the above diagram is relatively correct as is your assumption; " This is where I would submit that effective bullet upset/obturation occurs -- that sharp high-pressure punch well above Brinell-derived deformation pressure of the alloy (BN*1,420psi) -- and gives significant advantage to smokeless for cast bullet shooters."

I can do a test specific to this question and would prefer to use the 45-70 cartridge?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry, I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. A 45-70 would be perfect to test BP pressure curves vs smokeless pressure curve. Ideally I'd think both tests should be in the same rifle, same caliber, same bullet, with cartridges loaded for similar velocities.

I envy you with your pressure test equip. A good bit of money tied up in the equip, and time involved in testing. Thank you so much for your offer to test. Anything I can do to help just let me know.

Ken H>

Boolit Buddy
    I just load real black powder in cartridges for my back rifles. That is why I shoot back. I do not care about comparative pressure curves or which obituaries a bullet quicker. I fit the bullet to the barrel so obfuscation is not a factor. The whole point for me is to shoot the rifles and ctgs as they were 140 years ago.
    Anyone is free to burn anything they choose but it ain't back if their is no bp involved.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure which smokeless powders you guys use in 45-70, that is not a caliber I load. I did once read that bluedot has a curve very similar to FFg blackpowder, although I have no proof that it is true. I do see plenty shoot bluedot in 45-70. Just a thought.

MANY thanks Larry.

I'm assuming any 405/535gr bullet w/ 65-60gr 2F/Sw1.5 (respectively) would be a rational 45-70 test object.

Again.... THANKS !
    Last edited by mehavey; 01-06-2021 at 04:13 PM.

I'll be following this thread with a great deal of interest.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Grand Master

Well a couple considerations. I only have GOEX FFg, FFFg and Cartridge. No one in this AO has any BP for sale that I know of. Obtaining other than those BPs may be a problem given the normal BP restrictions let alone the COVD situation.

For smokeless with the Lee 405 HB bullet cast of 16-1 or 20-1 alloy I suggest Unique, 2400, RL7, 3031 and 4895. I would hold velocity at 1300 fps +/-.

Name your poison....?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

GoEX 2Fg is not only fine, but probably most available/used.

*** CORRECTED FOR 24" BARREL ***

Running QL for a Lyman 405 / #457193(20-1) 415gr / 24" barrel
    2400/20.0 gr/14,637psi - 1271 fps peak pressure at 670 microsec
    RL-7/29.0gr/12,335psi - 1266 fps peak pressure at 750 microsec
    3031/35gr/11,801psi - 1266 fps peak pressure at 650 microsec
    4895/38gr/12,305 psi - 1277 fps peak pressure at 645 microsec

All estimates to get a ballpark (QL not liking straightwall, etc, etc
    But in balance, probably the 2400 load for obturation test profile purposes

If you had it...
    5744/24.0 gr/14,460 psi - 1284 fps peak pressure at 600 microsec
    Last edited by mehavey; 01-06-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'll second the choice of GOEX black powder with velocities in the 1300 fps range. My first thought was either FFg or FFFg, but thinking about it, sure would be nice to see FFg pressure compared to FFFg.

For Smokeless I agree that a fast powder like Unique would be good, as well as at least a mid burn rate RL7 and a slower powder like 3031. I know this is going to be lots of work for you and time consuming, and trying too many load combinations would be just too much.

Thank you again for the offer.

Ken H>

Unfortunately, you can't even close to full-up 405gr/45-70/BP performance with Unique w/o approaching pressure limits.

But ... (for entertainment only/stronger actions)
    Lyman 405 / #457193(20-1) 415gr / 24" barrel
    UNIQUE/15.0gr/28,383 psi - 1,267fps peak pressure at 425 microsec (which is interesting)

Unique is doubly interesting at lower loads, however, precisely because it does run higher pressure/fast rise times for better bullet obturation

Boolit Master
    Sherman Bell did a series of excellent articles in Doublegun and Single Shot Journal a few years ago on black powder and pressures with measuring equipment probably like Larry Gibson's. As for the speed of upset of the bullet William Ellis Metford proved back in the late 1800's that it was instantaneous before the bullet even moved. Metford did an incredible amount of experimenting and testing over at least a decade. The bullet metal he liked was very similar to our present day wheelweights. A very interesting person.

Boolit Master
    Those are some GREAT links. Thank you for them. Reading the first link I now understand why Larry suggested including 2400 powder in the test - reportley it gives pressure curve very similar to BP at the same velocity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast