Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: anyone know a gunsmith that would rechamber

Banned

anyone know a gunsmith that would rechamber

a 300 bo ruger american to 300 ham'r??

The .300 HAM’R is a cartridge optimized to get the most terminal effects possible out of a standard AR-*15. The bolt, magazine and receivers are all what you’d find in any AR-*15, only the barrel is different.

The .300 HAM’R cartridge case is .26-*inch longer than a .300 BLK case and .04-*inch longer than the 7.62x40mm Wilson Tactical (WT). The loaded overall length is just short enough to fit inside an AR-*15 magazine.

"AS YOU CAN SEE THE 300 HAM’R HAS A SOLID 300FPS VELOCITY AND A 400FP ENERGY ADVANTAGE OVER FACTORY 300 BLACKOUT AT THE MUZZLE."

That is handloaded custom ammo vs Factory.
    I suspect that if it was handloaded vs handloaded that some of those numbers would be a lot closer.

You really think .26 of an inch is going to buy you that much? To be worth the cost of the work?

For you perhaps, for me, no. YMMV.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Vendor Sponsor

I would suggest buying a 300 HAM'R barrel. AR barrels are normally hardened, which rules out the use of a typical (affordable) HSS reamer. I don't know about your Ruger American rifle. Is it blued or stainless?

Shaw makes custom barrels and they seem to be affordable $300 for 4140 steel and $395 for 416 stainless. That doesn't seem too bad for aftermarket custom. If you shop around you can find Shaw barrels under $250.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-05-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I would think that any gunsmith worthy of the name could handle that with a rented reamer.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Should be dead simple in a bolt gun. (??)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    You really think .26 of an inch is going to buy you that much? To be worth the cost of the work?

That's generally what happens when people "invent" new cartridges these days. The new cartridge is faster.... because it's slightly bigger and the max CUP for the new cartridge is higher than the old ones. (In this case 55,000 vs 57,500 (MAP)

This is just a 30/223 shortened enough to work in the AR mag.
    (The 300 Blackout... 300 Whisper.... 300 Fireball... 300/221... 30-221.... was the length it was because that's the length it was lol. (after necking up fireball brass)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The .300 HAM’R is a cartridge optimized to get the most terminal effects possible out of a standard AR-*15. The bolt, magazine and receivers are all what you’d find in any AR-*15, only the barrel is different.

The .300 HAM’R cartridge case is .26-*inch longer than a .300 BLK case and .04-*inch longer than the 7.62x40mm Wilson Tactical (WT). The loaded overall length is just short enough to fit inside an AR-*15 magazine.

"AS YOU CAN SEE THE 300 HAM’R HAS A SOLID 300FPS VELOCITY AND A 400FP ENERGY ADVANTAGE OVER FACTORY 300 BLACKOUT AT THE MUZZLE."

That is handloaded custom ammo vs Factory.
    I suspect that if it was handloaded vs handloaded that some of those numbers would be a lot closer.

For you perhaps, for me, no. YMMV.
    my max pressure handloads are giving me a solid 300 fps advantage over a black out. Now factoring in that thats a bigger jump in power then comparing an 06 to a 300 mag and is closer to comparing an 06 to a 300 wby mag id say the advantage is very real.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Should be dead simple in a bolt gun. (??)

That's generally what happens when people "invent" new cartridges these days. The new cartridge is faster.... because it's slightly bigger and the max CUP for the new cartridge is higher than the old ones. (In this case 55,000 vs 57,500 (MAP)

This is just a 30/223 shortened enough to work in the AR mag.
    (The 300 Blackout... 300 Whisper.... 300 Fireball... 300/221... 30-221.... was the length it was because that's the length it was lol. (after necking up fireball brass)
    I have a wilson barreled ar15 in ham'r. Thats what sparked my interest in converting my american. Ive never seen an american barrel in 300 hamr or it would already be sitting in the shop. Sure i could just buy an american in 308 but thats not what i want. This little round is the definition of efficiency. It gives near 300 savage ballistics with much less powder and brass that can be gotten for about free. I do like my bo american. Id no doubt down the line buy another if this one is rechambered but for deer sized game its hands down a better round then the bo. Think of it this way. We cast bullet shooters love the 3030. This round gives the same power level, flatter shooting, cheaper brass and does it with less powder. Why wouldnt someone want one.

Boolit Master
    what is the twist rate of blackout barrel.
    ive thought of doing same thing but there is way too much difference in twist rate to have an optimized HAMR

If your American BO has an 8" or 7" twist, I would leave it alone and keep it for sub sonic stuff. An aftermarket barrel can be purchased and installed by the owner in 300 Ham'r. ER Shaw, Criterion, Wilson, X-Caliber ...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    a 300 bo ruger american to 300 ham'r??
    Wilson Combat is making 300 Ham'r barrels for the Ruger Ranch Rifle now. The problem with the 300 BLK to 300 Ham'r conversion is the rate of twist. WC has the 300 Ham'r optimized at 1:13.

Boolit Master
    To me, the biggest benefit of the 300 Ham'r is that it won't chamber in a .223/5.56. Maybe the Blackout won't but maybe it will and that is not good. Also depends whether you want to shoot heavy bullets VERY SLOW or use 125 to 150's at useful velocities. I find velocities under 1100 fps very limited to range due to trajectory and wind impacts.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A lovely testimony of reading retention ..........

Loyd I have a little time in with 12,10,&8.5" twist 30 cals specifically .308 dia .
    If you want the Hammer for it's go fast and you intend to shoot game useful cast I would suggest a 10 or even 12" twist barrel over the typical 8.5&9" 300 . 1900 fps is all it will do with most any ALLOY under 24 BHN and something around 16 becomes somewhat less than well suited for much expansion .

I would almost certainly recommend Goodsteel for the job , his demeanor is off putting to some folks but I find him refreshing . It does take a certain something to see that and I guess I have a lot of that whatever it is .
    Malcolm Ballistic Tool in Conway Arkansas .

As an alternative cartridge there is a 30 cal based on the 6.8SPC . The 22 Nosler case may be used to retain the 223/556 bolt face and get you very close to 300 Savage with a 2.26 OAL . It would use the same mag as the 22 NOS or 6.8 SPC , the uasual stagger feed massage would apply for a conventional stagger feed box mag .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    What wolfwing and doctom54 said in post 9 and 10 about twist.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

If you find an original Mini 30, it has a .308 barrel in 1-10 twist. The original dies came with a spare .308 sizer. With no effort at all you can have a 30-39. One day you folks night just read some history of reloading to go along with asking questions.
    By the way, SOTA Arms makes runs of 30-39 barrels for the AR now and then, they shoot 150g Remington Bulk into .5 inches at 2,500 fps without even trying, using 1680. No magic at all.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

McGowan does the Hamr chambering. Not sure on Ruger threads.
    I did a 300 BO (McGowan barrel) on a short action Remington 700, and it shoots very well. There is more velocity in the Hamr, but Lil Gun powder in the BO might make you wonder if you need a new barrel. I also did the twist in 1-12" because I don't have a reason to shoot heavy pills subsonic.