Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: how to install gas checks?

Smile how to install gas checks?

Hey guys, I'll be getting the lee tl 160 grain .312 for my sks but before I do, I need to know the easiest way to install gas checks on the boolit. Can I just stick them on by hand? Do I have to size and if so will a lee sizer die instal the gas checks?

Boolit Master

Pan lube the casting, use the Lee .312 sizer, put the gas check on the bottom, push thru.
    BadaBing, Badaboom.

Thanks docone31, but do I have to size? Is that the only way to install the gas check?

Boolit Master

When I size my checks on, they stay on. When I push them on, some fall off, some in the case.
    You still have to know the actual sizeing you need.
    Mash a piece of lead down the bore and measure away. I would go .002, or .003 over groove.

Boolit Master

I think the point here is that if you size at .312, you probably aren't sizing at all, just seating the checks.

Boolit Master

I think, .312 is probably the target size. There might be some sizing, but, mostly it is sizing the check.
    From what I heard, .312 is the target sizing.

Ok, I think I understand. Sizing crimps on the checks. I guess without that process they will be fitted loosely to the boolit. Thanks for all replies.

Oh, 1 more question.... is the regular 30 cal size the one to get ? (gas checks)

Boolit Master

Yes. They take .30cal checks.

How would you install gas checks if you don't have a sizer?

Boolit Master
    Super glue! I haven't sized a boolit in a year and have dug boolits out of the berm and they are still on. The easy way is to put them on then pan lube, then push through the lube. I use my propane BAR-B-Q grill to heat the boolits and lube,I have a "metal" pan for each size boolit .459,.311 ect then after I push them out just sit the new boolits in the holes and put in grill. Wait to harden I only let them get to 300 degrees works great.
    The best shot I know never re-sizes his boolits and I sit and watch him put all shots in the 10 ring, most better at 200 yds, so I know it works. No I can't as my right eye has lost sight in it and I am having to learn to shoot left handed, and for a man that is almost 70 it is quite a chore.

Boolit Master

If you dont have a size die try to stay away from Hornady gas checks . They are made to crimp on,so they have a little flair to them. On a .312 boolit a 30cal check should seat a little tight anyway

As soon as we get past this cold spell so I can cast some .44's, I'll be trying gas checks for the first time. I got to talking with a fellow at the Puyallup gun show who was selling GC lead boolits. He gave me a couple of tips.

First was the advice you just heard from Shotman - the Hornady GC's are flared and meant to be crimped on through a sizer. The Lyman GC's aren't. They are a press on.

Second was to make sure the bottom of the boolit is flat. If there are any sprue traces, clean them up with your pocket knife.

I'm looking forward to trying them out. My old flattop BH gets real accurate when stoked with the Keith load of 2400 and a GC 240 gr. boolit.
    Doc