RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16ga shotguns

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Rich. I'm going to be playing around come this Spring with the puppy. Shooting it out of a 20 gauge SxS or 16 in a shot cup could be interesting. This is a 50 cal.

That is one pointy bullet. Looks like a sci - fi space capsule !!

excello

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Is that Ponses Warren the one from here? Did it work out for you?

I still have a lot of that haul of 16 gauge shells and wads, etc. Bought a bunch of shot about a month ago, gonna get the MEC 600 JR set up and start loading this weekend, I think.
    Rich, yes, that's the PW you sent me. Also the deep purple box of shells is the first box I loaded out of the 700 pre-primed hulls you sent with it. I'll never load a shotshell on it or the Pacific DL you shipped to me without thinking about you buddy. Hope all is well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by excello View Post
    Nice batch of guns MOA. Is that bolt action a Mont. Ward ? Has a non detachable sheet steel box magazine as I recall.

Pretty sure my brothers and I used one of those in 410 when we were kids ... the trigger guard sure looks the same.
    That's a Mossberg bolt. One of 6. There were two series of these bolts done back in the late fifties an sixties. The main feature difference is the choke. Early had a choke tube you unscrewed completely, while the later models had a non-removable Select-A-Choke. I'm still looking for a 410 in the later version and a 12 gauge early version. The 410's have the non-removable magazine. All the rest have a removable box magazine that holds two shells.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nice collection of Bolt guns MOA

Boolit Master

I'm jealous!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    I also have this old JC Higgins 16 ga. Acquired from my late Father in law.

I have fired it ( it works like champ! ) but it is in the model range of the Sears "recall guns ".

excello
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4824.jpg  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Rich, yes, that's the PW you sent me. Also the deep purple box of shells is the first box I loaded out of the 700 pre-primed hulls you sent with it. I'll never load a shotshell on it or the Pacific DL you shipped to me without thinking about you buddy. Hope all is well.
    Glad it worked out, I've been shooting up the Remington factory shells that estate sale had along with the old man's reloads (yeah, I know, but he sure seemed to know what he was doing and I haven't had a problem) put close to 1K rounds through my little Stevens 5100 this year but have acquired a few others. I never really saw the hype about the Winchester Model 12 and shot my first one the other day and scored my highest score at trap to date with a new gun and a two month lay off from practice, I think I'm kind of sold on them now, but still like the Ithaca 37s.

Honestly, I'd have never gotten a press like that PW up and running like it should. I did pick up a MEC 600 Jr and I'm about to start loading 16 gauge in earnest now.

The 16ga has been my favorite game gun for years. Has to be a genuine 16 made on correct frame for 16, not a 12ga clunker bored for 16. Citori 16’s are nice; as are M21’s, M12’s, etc. Remingtons are oversized (reliable) clunkers. Old Parker’s can be great. Hard to beat a Citori SLF in the grouse woods.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    The 16ga has been my favorite game gun for years. Has to be a genuine 16 made on correct frame for 16, not a 12ga clunker bored for 16. Citori 16’s are nice; as are M21’s, M12’s, etc. Remingtons are oversized (reliable) clunkers. Old Parker’s can be great. Hard to beat a Citori SLF in the grouse woods.
    Are the Remington 870s built on the 12 gauge frames? I'm not as familiar with them and only have one with nothing else to compare it to.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Are the Remington 870s built on the 12 gauge frames? I'm not as familiar with them and only have one with nothing else to compare it to.
    All 870 16 ga's were on 12 gauge frames. The old 16's had light weight barrels which were not so bad. The new 870's are 12 gauge barrels bored 16 gauge, and are very heavy. The only good 16 gauge Remington built was designed by JMB. The model 11, then the 11-48.

That's a very sweet looking drilling excello. It's got the perfect shotgun gauge and the perfect rifle cartridge for the frame. A truly balanced long gun in all respects.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    love 16's several here, Mec takes care of them with alcan wads

Boolit Master

16ga shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow...I love that Damascus side hammer, MOA!

DG
    Yeah that’s a really nice double!

I like my 16 more than any of my other shotguns. My dream gun is a 16 drilling. I really need to get the conversion for my PW375 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    All 870 16 ga's were on 12 gauge frames. The old 16's had light weight barrels which were not so bad. The new 870's are 12 gauge barrels bored 16 gauge, and are very heavy. The only good 16 gauge Remington built was designed by JMB. The model 11, then the 11-48.
    The 12ga 870 was based on the 16ga 1148 semi. I always thought they should have done the 16ga guns on the 20ga 870 frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206F42DA-732A-450C-B1B2-0940EC546470.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	274868
    Last edited by Hamish; 01-06-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    The 12ga 870 was based on the 16ga 1148 semi. I always thought they should have done the 16ga guns on the 20ga 870 frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206F42DA-732A-450C-B1B2-0940EC546470.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	274868
    They are not the same size. The size difference is not a huge difference, but the 16 gauge 11-48 was its own frame. A 12 gauge 870 stock will fit on a 16 ga 11-48, but you can see the size difference. I could measure the differences between a 16 ga 11-48 and a 12 ga 870 side by side if anyone cares.

Boolit Bub
    Savage makes a 555. Price is right as well.

Boolit Master
    I had a Remington Model 48 16 a few years back I liked well enough except for two things . The first being some Jack off put a poly choke on it of course before I got it and the second is a problem I find with any semi auto , I have to bend over to pick up hulls on the skeet field !!!!!
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I had a Remington Model 48 16 a few years back I liked well enough except for two things . The first being some Jack off put a poly choke on it of course before I got it and the second is a problem I find with any semi auto , I have to bend over to pick up hulls on the skeet field !!!!!
    The barrels interchange, and I've not found them to be all that expensive. More than many 870/500 barrels sure, but not any worse than an 1100/11-87. The second problem, I'd actually put this in the benefits category for the 11-48. They don't fling shells far, mine tosses them maybe 2' to the side in a consistent pile. It doesn't matter if you are shooting 7/8 oz pipsqueek loads, or 1 1/4 oz powerhouses either, they all land in the same spot. Some semi autos throw shells WAY out there in a random pattern.

Boolit Master
    The barrels interchange, and I've not found them to be all that expensive. More than many 870/500 barrels sure, but not any worse than an 1100/11-87. The second problem, I'd actually put this in the benefits category for the 11-48. They don't fling shells far, mine tosses them maybe 2' to the side in a consistent pile. It doesn't matter if you are shooting 7/8 oz pipsqueek loads, or 1 1/4 oz powerhouses either, they all land in the same spot. Some semi autos throw shells WAY out there in a random pattern.
    That model 48’s been gone for several years now , much like an early A-5 16 that also had an abomination on the end of the barrel . I do however have my eye on a late 60’s Sweet Sixteen and a 70’s 1100 . The A-5 would be my first pick as I’ve got more than a few Belgium made Brownings . As to distance they flung the hulls is inconsequential, I just hate bending over to pick them up . Kinda like Parker doubles with ejectors , I only really like the ejectors when I’m trying to sell or trade them off as collectors put a bit more premium on ejector guns . I did a Pheasent shoot this past Saturday with a new to me circa 1899 Parker DH 12 gauge 32” no safety pigeon gun . At Pheasent tower shoots I normally stand with the gun cracked open so no safety was not s hindrance , but I shot 40 times and never once had to pick up a hull I’d fired . That gun was built as a pigeon gun so I could reach out pretty well and fold them up pretty well .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Sika: Get one of these,,, $10 at Harbor Freight and you won't have to bend over again. I take mine to Front Sight when I go to a Shotgun Class and pick up the Blue Federal Hulls after class. I can get a hundred in 15-20 minutes easy and never break a sweat. I also use it to pick up brass at my range when fools leave brand new factory brass laying around just waiting to be picked up.

Plenty of other good solid hulls available at one of these classes and I'm sure at your range as well. NO reason it can't be attached to your gun cart? So you have it with you all the time. I use the nice Walmart Shopping Bags that I am not allowed to keep anymore due to the Disease.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast