RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: DuPont IMR 4064 and 4895 data

Boolit Mold

DuPont IMR 4064 and 4895 data

I just obtained approx 1 1/2#'s each of Dupont IMR 4064 & IMR 4895. All of it is in the old rectangle tins. I took the lids off and smelled each container. No objectional smells. I have not dumped out a sample to check for discoloration, but I plan on it before I attempt to use it.
    I am currently only reloading pistol ammo. Any of the reloading books that I have (including the older books) only give loading data for this powder in rifle cartridges. Does anyone have any data for either one of these powders? Shoud I even think about using this in a pistol cartridge. I hate to waste good powder with it being hard to find in today's market.
    Just for information: I am currently reloading .380acp, 9mm, .40S&W, .357 magnum, .38 Special and .44 Magnum. I may also start loading 30-06.

Boolit Master
    You have some fine rifle powder there , not for handguns .

DuPont IMR 4064 and 4895 data

Sounds like you need to buy a Garand from the CMP LOL. I use both of those as good all around powders in Garands, Swiss K31, Swedish Mauser, Springfields, and Mosins, but I’d be surprised to find them in a handgun load.

Powders ok for 30-06. See Hodgdon IMR data. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Banned

Trade it to someone for pistol powder. Both of those are very versatile rifle powders, a tad fast for optimum performance in the .30-06 and the 4064 is a bit slow, but still workable in .223. Both are excellent in anything in between.

Where are you? I'd trade a sealed pound of Unique for that.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd expedite getting into loading 30-06, both those are the ideal powders for that application and it's only going to get harder to track down components and dies in the near future.

Much too slow for use in conventional pistol loads.

Boolit Buddy
    4895 work great in 30-06, 308, and 7-08.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    . Both of those are very versatile rifle powders, a tad fast for optimum performance in the .30-06 and the 4064 is a bit slow,
    That statement is more than a bit funny to me since 4895 was originally produced specifically to load 30-06 in both the 150gr loading before and during ww1, and in the M2 load during ww2. You can get hung up on what the most "optimal" is but it's certainly a great choice.

You must be a real perfectionist...too much so in this case since parrothead already had the powder and is looking what to do with it, not squeeze an extra few fps out of the caliber

Moderator Emeritus

Pistol powders in the sense that a 15" Encore in 270, 280 or 30-06 is a pistol.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I still have sealed tins of IMR 3031-4198-4350 and 4064. I have seen it go bad if kept in place temp goes up and down. After awhile seal fails and can will rust on the inside. Rifle powder no pistol loads I know of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    That statement is more than a bit funny to me since 4895 was originally produced specifically to load 30-06 in both the 150gr loading before and during ww1, and in the M2 load during ww2. You can get hung up on what the most "optimal" is but it's certainly a great choice.

You must be a real perfectionist...too much so in this case since parrothead already had the powder and is looking what to do with it, not squeeze an extra few fps out of the caliber
    I know full well what it works in, and anybody with a brain can look at a reloading manual and see it won't do the same performance as something like 4350 in the '06 in a bolt action, especially with heavier bullets. And I said both were good choices.

Get snotty with somebody else, buddy, I have very little patience for argumentative fools lately.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman #50 for the 30-06 lists

Imr4895 as the most accurate powder for 168 grain bullets
    Imr4064 as the most accurate powder for 110, 150 and 165 grain bullets
    Imr4350 as the accuracy powder for 180 grain bullets

What if I were to cherry pick to show the usefulness of those powders

I decide to hunt mule deer with the Nosler 165 grain Ballistics tip.
    Lyman's most accurate load uses 4064 and lists 2851 fps
    With I4350 (with a compressed load) they list 2878 fps
    ----27 fps difference doesn't mean spit for drop or drift, and you lose precision.

Now say I want to do some target practice with standard 168 grain match bullets
    IMR 4895 is the most accurate powder and in a starting load (fps 2444)
    --- that won't kick so hard, wear the barrel as much, will function well in my old Garand, and if I were new to reloading for that caliber or rifle would give a margin of error pressure wise.

When I go loaded for elk, I use 180 or 212 grain bullets with IMR 4350, Reloader 17 or Staball 6.5 depending on whats available. They all perform similarly in my Springfield.
    Last edited by clearwater; 01-04-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Boolit Master

IMR 4895 is my favorite powder int 30-06, 30-30 and 303 Brit. It just works, meters well and lasts forever.