WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 1911 Barrel ID

Boolit Buddy

1911 Barrel ID

I have been unsuccessful finding info on this 1911 barrel online, and don’t have a collectors book. Can one of the experts here ID it for me? It has very little finish remaining, and the rifling is still pretty strong. The hood area appears to have a P and partial H, a H on the right leg, and a Y below the legs on the bottom. Appreciate any help.

Attachment 274573
    Attachment 274574
    Attachment 274575
    Attachment 274576

I don't have a collector book that specifically addresses your question, but I once participated in a serial number verification program for Remington Rand 1911A1s, and was told that the H marking on my pistol's barrel indicated manufacture by High Standard.

DG

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the 1911 forum or CMP forum.

Boolit Master

Got J.C. Harrison's collector's guide out. Not entirely conclusive on all counts but. . .

The P and H on the hood make it a Colt barrel from the 85,000 to 450,000 serial number range, or sometime between 1914 and 1918.

This LIKELY makes the big H the initial of Francis L. Hosmer who worked there from 1911-19. The only problem with this is the location and barrel type. The earliest two Colt barrel variations have the H and the 12:00 breech face surface (directly above where the case head would lie). There's nothing about an H on the legs from that period

The Y may be the mark of an assembler named Ackert, but the notes list that this stamp should be at the disconnector hole in the frame.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

This is an early 1911 barrel as said. The "H" in this case is not for High Standard. High Standard did make 1911a1 barrels during WW2 and they were marked "HS" on the barrel feet.
    Go to 1911forum and ask under the Vintage or GI section. They will be able to tell you exactly what you have. If that barrel was primstine the value would be several hundred dollars.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you and BigSlug very much, I just joined the 1911 forum and will see if it is worth saving vs. just enjoying and shooting it!

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    This is an early 1911 barrel as said. The "H" in this case is not for High Standard. High Standard did make 1911a1 barrels during WW2 and they were marked "HS" on the barrel feet.
    Go to 1911forum and ask under the Vintage or GI section. They will be able to tell you exactly what you have. If that barrel was primstine the value would be several hundred dollars.

Boolit Buddy
    As a follow-up, from the 1911forum, this appears to be a World War 1 era Colt P H M1911 barrel with the Hosmer ‘H’ mark on the barrel foot. Someone suggested it would be correct for a 1917-18 M1911. Mystery solved. Thanks for the feedback.

Boolit Master

Kewl............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek