Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 win mag?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Wonder why it never took off or did it just not reach a market saturation enough to get and keep a presence?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    The reason I never got one was I felt a revolver in that power range was much more flexible to load to any power level with any weight bullet that was appropriate , and a 45 colt or 44 mag does not sling the expensive and harder to find brass all over the country side and the grip size is not comfortable to me. But they would be fun and I am glad they make them for the folks that want them , just personal preference .

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    An M1 Carbine in 45 Win Mag would be awesome
    It was tried. It was too much for the petite action to take.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

It kind of irks me that the LAR Grizzly never took off and yet the *** known as the Desert Eagle persists to this day.

Boolit Master

I've got an extra cylinder for the FA 83 in 45 Win Mag. I bought a couple of hundred brass from Starline. Haven't felt the urge to follow up with loads. I won't go into how I happened to end up with this cylinder.
    John
    W.TN

Banner Sponsor

I would like to get a LAR in 50AE .
    Back on the guns.com site a few years ago there was a guy in Alaska that was a hot loader from way back. Anyways he wrote about some insane loads in a LAR 45 win mag.
    Can't remember his name.

Boolit Master
    I would like to get a LAR in 50AE .
    Back on the guns.com site a few years ago there was a guy in Alaska that was a hot loader from way back. Anyways he wrote about some insane loads in a LAR 45 win mag.
    Can't remember his name.
    I bet pushing the limits on that one would be an adrenaline rush...I e never dabbled in hot loads but if you had the gun that could handle it I bet it would be downright savage

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have the AMT automag and a Contender in 45 win mag. Both are a handful, but fun to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    There was also a single action revolver made i think in Arizona or marketed from here that was chambered in .45 Win Mag. The name escapes me att. Perhaps my CRS will abate later on

Banner Sponsor

North American Arms went with the rimless cartridges. I think you could get theirs in 45acp, 45 Win mag, and 450 Magnum Express?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NAA_450_Express.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	274794
    Last edited by lar45; 01-05-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    North American Arms went with the rimless cartridges. I think you could get theirs in 45acp, 45 Win mag, and 450 Magnum Express?

Yes, single actions with an ejector rod don't need rimless rounds and even double action swing out cylineders can use moon clips. You don't need a rim. That said 45 win mag does not have a lot to hold over a 454 Casull.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I can vouch for 450 Magnum Express, I have one and would be happy to find a .45 Winchester Magnum cylinder or the .45 Colt cylinder some came with. I have a box of Starline .454 Casull cases I plan to turn into 450 Magnum Express brass, but it's one of those "much later" projects.

NAA decided to include a .45 Winchester Magnum cylinder. A third cylinder in .45 Colt was also offered, though I doubt that many of these were produced. All were stamped on their face as to indicate the chambering using either 450, 45W, or 45C. It’s not surprising that when you do find these revolvers, the .45 Win Mag cylinder is in the gun and the .450 Express cylinder often looks unused.
    Source: https://www.singleactions.com/files/...numExpress.pdf

Banner Sponsor

You could probably just trim the 454 brass to 1.340", then put the brass in a drill and turn the rims down with a file.
    As far as the extra cylinders, I wonder if Jack Huntington would make them for you? His prices seem pretty reasonable and he has a rather quick turn around time.

Boolit Master
    45 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge that you could loosely compare to a 44 Mag-ish round being suitable for feeding properly through mags and actions best suited to rimless cases.
    The LAR Grizzly was/is a fine choice for those who love the 1911 platform, on steroids... The AMT Auto-Mag IV is a LARGE (“boxy”) gun that has a GREAT trigger and can be exceptionally accurate... I’ve used both extensively.
    An AR carbine variant in this cartridge would be beyond AWESOME.
    Had Ruger possessed the smarts to chamber the Mini-14 in it instead of the ill-fated 44 Mag variant I’d likely have more than one yo play with, but the rimmed case/rotary magazine thing was not anything I was interested in.

Like many others, the case was necked to several smaller diameters that had a big “cool” factor. I’m still looking for the 357/45WM “Grizzly” conversion for the LAR pistols.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Master

You could probably just trim the 454 brass to 1.340", then put the brass in a drill and turn the rims down with a file.
    As far as the extra cylinders, I wonder if Jack Huntington would make them for you? His prices seem pretty reasonable and he has a rather quick turn around time.
    Jack Huntington converted an extra .45 ACP cylinder for the FA 83 into .45 Win Mag. To my untrained brain that only required reaming a little deeper. The cylinder was already matched to the FA.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I had one of the LAR Grizzly pistols, and it was extremely accurate. I even got big lead bullets for the .45 Colt to feed in mine. I think they were coming out of the mold at 265 grains. Big wide lead bullets out of an old Lyman mold. I've got chrono records around here, somewhere, of the loads I shot through mine. Alas, I tired of it, and traded it off for some gun I just had to have at the time. I wish Magnum Research would chamber it in the Desert Eagle. I would buy a barrel for my Desert Eagle in a New York minute.

Boolit Mold
    I shot an AMT Automag in 45 Win Mag a friend had, I helped him reload some rounds and found loads for Blue Dot and 2400 that both put a Hornady XTP 250 gr over my chrony at/near 1425 fps. He really like the recoil of the lighter loads that put it in about the 1300 fps range. What a handful that thing was, and he still has about of the rounds left that we did up in the late 80s.

Boolit Master
    LinotypeIngot doesn't seem to like the Desert Eagle for some reason:
    "It kind of irks me that the LAR Grizzly never took off and yet the *** known as the Desert Eagle persists to this day."

>>> Just for the record, GONRA's .44 Magnum Desert Eagle is extremely accurate and reliable. Phun to shoot! <<<

Full Disclosure: (Decades ago!!) Wanted a Desert Eagle for my Reference Collection, but deliberately waited until (promised)
    .44 Magnum version was available. Took American Rifleman's advise - immediately gotta Timmney Trigger Job.
    Saved the day on crummy Factory trigger pull.... ( Right after - Timmney quit offering trigger job. ??? !@#&$ )

(Admit that .45 Winchester Magnum LAR Grizzly looks like it was built in Watch Factory! Closely fitted!!! WOW!)
    Last edited by GONRA; 02-20-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    With 65,000 PSI the S&W 460 Mag pretty much eclipses all the other 45s for power. I imagine that affected the market.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    It was chambered in the Thompson Center Contender, as was my first Contender pistol.
    that was one of my first as well

Boolit Master
    I doubt the 460 had anything to do with the 45 WM’s market situation. They basically occupy different time frames and their basic designs favor totally different platforms. The 45 WM spent most of it’s relatively short-lived commercial acceptance while the 454 Casull easily out-performed it.
    Other than the TC Contender, firearms made for it like the LAR Grizzly and Wildey were were a little pricey for mass acceptance, not to mention having very little PR promotional effort via gun-rags and writers with more desk time than range experience.
    The Desert Eagle never pushed it, and many dummies proclaimed AMT was inferior equipment... It was just extra nails in the commercial coffin.

The 45 WM was, and is, an exceptional cartridge that excels as a heavy hitter in a hunting handgun, especially if a semi-auto floats your cork.
    The fact that it used bullets and molds already popular in many weights just added to it’s versatility.
    It’s another really good idea/cartridge that simply never got the recognition it deserved, and the shooting sports are lessened because of it’s absence... Hopefully that will change someday.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast