Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry BB :41 Magnum

Henry BB :41 Magnum

So I have been late to the party on more than one occasion and decided should have one of the Henry BB 41’s. I have several moulds from RCBS ,NOE and a pile of Sierra 170 gr. bullets with all the suitable powders , steel,carbide RCBS ,Redding dies,several thousand pieces of WW and Starline brass. The 41. Remington Magnum has been with me for a long time but never in a rifle.
    The new rifle is with the 20” barrel and ready for a receiver mounted sight, the Skinner sight looks good ,adjustability is somewhat cumbersome . Any of you using something different you like better ? I will junk the barrel sights unless I go with a scope . How are you mounting a scope ? I really like the Leupold Patrol 1.5X4 scopes and appears it would have sufficient clearance . What have you all done that works well ? I would certainly like to see how far I could stretch the .41 , 200 yards with accuracy would be my initial goal.
    I won’t see the rifle fo several weeks, the whole Covid thing has shipping a mess.
    There have been zero 41 Mag. rifles on GB until the past few days, a used one and a NIB for $1100.00+ . Found a online retailer for $800.00 shipped with some in stock. I hope I like this rifle.

Congratulations on your new rifle! Will you be using this for hunting? I like my skinner peep sight on my marlin 1894. The only problem is that I can’t see it at dawn and dusk. That is why I asked about hunting.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I got one of the first runs of that gun, wasn't that impressed at first but the more I use it the more I like it, might even put my old marlin fg up for sale. I have not changed the sights but would jump right to something like a leupold or vortex 2-7x when my eyes get so bad I can no longer see the irons.

Not for hunting ,for banging steel at 200m. I think a 230 gr RNFP @1400-1500 FPS will be a fun rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have one in 41 magnum, but based on my big boy, they have very generous length throats. I would try the Arsenal 41-220 RF, which shoots great in my model 57.

Thanks for the info MSM a chamber cast will be done to see exactly what there is for a chamber.

I love mine and it likes Nosler 210 grain JHP bullets over Shooters World Heavy Pistol or H110.

Boolit Man
    I swapped out the factory iron sights on my Henry 41mag... I used a winchester ladder at the rear and a marbles 1/16th bead up front in place of the 1/8th bead they come with. Finer bead and flat top rear like the winchesters use make it much easier to shoot tiny groups with. Aim small miss small sorta thing. Buffalo Bore 230's shoot great in mine, as do handloads with same-weight keith bullets loaded comparably.

Henry's making some nice guns right now, I'm sure you'll like yours

I have 200 rounds of loaded cast 210 and 230 gr. Keith and truncated cone 800 FPS for my handguns. I will shoot those up to get them gone. My secondary reason for the rifle is to burn up 35 yrs worth of various .41 Mag. loads I no longer shoot. I have original “Midway” .41 Mag. brass from the order from a catalog days, it still is nice. The nice thing about the .41 Mag. Is consistent chamber and bore dimensions that haven’t been reinvented by what others thought it should be.
    I was looking on their web site and it appears the .41 Mag. Is no longer offered, it is not listed in the available cartridges for the new gated versions, I am happy I grabbed one finally,waiting for gated version appears to be not happening with Henry at least not initially.
    FWIW, WWW.hinterlandoutdoors.com still has some in stock , 20” round barrel, it is the only model they have in stock. $789.00 $15.00 shipping no tax. Very good website and service.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 01-05-2021 at 05:05 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I went with a Weaver 1-3x scope with the Henry mount on the Big Boy Steel, Skinner sight on the Big Boy and using the factory sights on the BBS carbine and BB carbine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBS_Weaver.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	274825

Name:	BB_Skinner.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	274826

Name:	H006MR41trgt_001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	274827

KO

Moderator Emeritus

I've found that my Henry BB 41 Mag needs a COAL shorter than 1.700" to cycle through the action.
    If you like SWC boolits, you might find that the crimp groove location in most SWC designs usually create a COAL of 1.700".

I had Arsenal molds modify their 41-220gr Keith-SWC design (which gives a COAL of 1.700" when seated/crimped into crimp groove), making it a little lighter as well as moving the Crimp groove, so when it's seated/crimped into crimp groove, creates a COAL of 1.650". They put this modified SWC design on their website as 41-205 Gr. SWC.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?page=4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Just wrote a note to Henry last week after canceling an order for a 16.5" BBS in hopes to get a side gate... They wrote back Monday saying that there were no plans to have the .41 or the .327 in a side loading gate but they are going to continue making both calibers in the standard tube loading models...so I put my order back in. No clue if there are any of the loop-lever carbines out in the system right now...

I have three Marlins..LTD, S and a CCL but want this one to put a scope on...probably a 1.5-5 Leupold.

As to molds...look at the Accurate 250L...made for lever guns. It looks a lot like the discontinued CP 255 and these have been very accurate in my Marlins.

Bob

Boolit Master

Sounds like a good deal.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Rifle showed up today , this is the first Henry I have ever touched and I must say I am not disappointed after going through it. Nice wood nicely fitted stock was loose because the tang screw was loose,screw is a little proud now but better than a loose stock. Different lock up than I am used to,nice trigger,dovetails are cut nicely. Local LGS had a base so I mounted a UTG 3X9 scope with some rings that work and it’s bore sighted. I am going to put 150 rounds through it tomorrow all mild cast ,230gr. SWC, 210 gr. TC with 5.5 gr. Clays, super accurate in the S&W’s. This is my first lever gun with a scope and specifically purchased for a scoped lever gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0BEEF07E-146C-472C-8356-FE50C90C170A.jpg   FF086479-EB1C-4CB7-8DAA-AC1E9D52794C.jpg   106EC89E-F323-4288-9BB2-A82CA7D4811A.jpg  

Looks great! Congratulations!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

We bought ours as soon as the feeding frenzy slowed back when they ae out ........
    We like ours far more than our Marlin. Not as finicky about which cast to load it with.
    But we shoot mostly 265 grainers as our revolvers get the light stuff if needed and at river bottom ranges a revolver does it all.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

When I bought my 327 Henry, I was also looking at the 41 mag at the same time. Part of me wishes I had picked up the 41 mag first, but I do like the 327 too.

Back then, there were quite a few 41s on GB. I looked a few weeks ago and there were no 41s at all... I hope they come back later this year.

That’s nice to hear you like the Henry better than the Marlin despite no gate. The wind is blowing today and it is 28 deg. so it’s a no for today. None of my loads are over 1.60” and go through the action just fine 210 SWC and 210 gr. TC from a NOE group buy here a few years ago. I definitely want a much heavier mould ,one to fill the throat . I have a Brooks adjustable mould @ .395” I patch for my 40-70 SS. I might try PP’ ing a 300 gr. and single feed it and call it the 40-300 with smokeless powder. I have a bunch of .40 cal. moulds, I might want to see what I can do with it. A CVA Scout in .41 Mag would be a ton of fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Jon B, does your modified Arsenal 41-220 Keith-SWC / 41-205 Gr SWC feed well. I am looking for a better bullet than my old Lyman 210 for my new Henry BBS

I finally got the rifle out to the range after switching scopes to a Anthlon 1x5 . None of my loads for my handguns shot very well,everything fed and chambered fine. Now to start figuring out what bullet for the rifle will give the best accuracy. All of my moulds are .410” maybe a fatter bullet ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast