Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Remington Hepburn sight problem and fix.......

Boolit Master

Remington Hepburn sight problem and fix.......

I bought a Remington Hepburn 45/70 about a year and a half ago. It's a pretty nice gun. It has made two trips to the range.

The sight did not stand 90° to the barrel. It did sit 90° to the tang and was somewhat loose feeling. Over all the sight feels solid. I'm not sure what brand it is.

I was loading some smokeless 45/70 and was thinking I really need to order a MVA for it. I went to the website and had decided on the midrange for 425.00. I decided to take the sight staff off and see if I could file the slot a little longer and maybe bend it to add more pressure. To my surprise the flat spring was upside down. I turned it over and the bent piece lock in to the staff holding it tight and 90° to the barrell. Overall I very happy with it. Very solid windage and elevation. It's not a MVA but I just saved 425.00 plus shipping.....

Anyone recognize this sight?
    http://imgur.com/a/MBKiskG

Can't tell for sure, as I can't see the base very well. Never seen a sight that used a nut on the pivot point screw? I wonder if that's original, or if the threads stripped and someone added a longer screw and a nut?
    Being a Soule tang sight should make it a nice sight to use.

Boolit Master
    I never really noticed the nut. One day I need to add a few MVA sights and bases to all my guns. For now I really just plan to shoot this one at 200 yds so not adjusting the sight. It gives the gun the look but not really the function.
    Last edited by GARD72977; 01-03-2021 at 03:47 PM.

It appears to be a good sight, and no reason it shouldn't adjust and give you all you want out to maybe 500 yds. after that it will need a taller sight. But for 200 yds. it will be great I think.
    It might be one of Sergio's Red River Ukranian Soule sights. But the nut is still suspicious? If it is one of Sergio's Ukranian made sights they are actually very good. Wish the stupid post 9-11 laws hadn't shut things down since he was in Canada, and couldn't get them imported anymore.
    Last edited by marlinman93; 01-03-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Nice looking adjustable eyepiece. I do not recognize the sight.

Vendor Sponsor

It is a Baldwin. I would take a Baldwin over any other but for my own reasons that I can explain later. That sight is the top of the line and is the equal of MVA.
    You have a great sight and on a Hepburn, I assume the former owner was a match shooter.
    A Hepburn with a Baldwin rear sight is a high dollar outfit. What is on the front?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedDSCF4200.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'm late to the party but I recognized it immediately. Got one of the mid range versions on my Crossno. It's a fine sight and as tough and repeatable as they come.

Dave put a small piece of rubber at the top of the staff because it would touch the stock when folded.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210103_222222.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	274615

Pic of front sight

Boolit Master

Name:	20210103_234132.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	274616

Name:	20210103_234337.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	274617

Can anybody identify this sight?

I think the guys who said it's a Baldwin nailed it. I didn't realize Steve used a nut on his sights? The front globe is also a Baldwin, I have two of his globe sights, like the one pictured.
    Sounds like you got some great sights on your Hepburn!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Name:	20210103_234132.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	274616

Name:	20210103_234337.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	274617

Can anybody identify this sight?
    Another fine sight as well as a good looking low wall. That sight was imported by Parts Unknown through Canada and made in the Ukraine. They started drying up when the importer could no longer get them manufactured.
    The top one is definitely a Baldwin made by a great guy, shooter, and machinist. He has rebarreled 3 highwalls for me.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help on the sights. The Lowall has a baldwin front sight and I assumed the rear was also Baldwin. I never noticed the Hepburn and Low Wall have the same front sight.