RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 1885 Trapper gets New Glass...

1885 Trapper gets New Glass...

It looks a little fugly on the snubby little 45/70 but in the black timber at our BC place, enhanced with the the steep valleys cutting down on sun's rays - my eyes need all the help they can get at dawn and dusk. Chose a German #4 reticle as it a swamp stand rifle, 100yrds is pushing it and you need to be quick.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6FC1C134-2C3A-4472-B18E-D4B007CE13FD.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	274498

I had 3x9 Burris Full View on mine. Bought for the purpose. Tuned in perfect. Carried it 1st morning
    and got another rifle at lunch. I went back to Lyman 66. I hunt thick stuff and besides looking fugly it felt fugly to me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak47 View Post
    It looks a little fugly on the snubby little 45/70 but in the black timber at our BC place, enhanced with the the steep valleys cutting down on sun's rays - my eyes need all the help they can get at dawn and dusk. Chose a German #4 reticle as it a swamp stand rifle, 100yrds is pushing it and you need to be quick.......
    What scope base did you use to mount your scope? I had to modify a Weaver base for the front mount because none existed of the proper height. I have scoped a 30-40 Krag and a 38-55 Win Trapper model and I have no complaints with either. I don't think they are fugly at all, I like having the glass on them. I made a base for the 45-70 but haven't mounted a scope on it yet. I'm still playing with the ladder sight with 500gr cast at long range. It's surprisingly accurate considering the short sight radius.

Quote Originally Posted by daved63 View Post
    What scope base did you use to mount your scope? I had to modify a Weaver base for the front mount because none existed of the proper height. I have scoped a 30-40 Krag and a 38-55 Win Trapper model and I have no complaints with either. I don't think they are fugly at all, I like having the glass on them. I made a base for the 45-70 but haven't mounted a scope on it yet. I'm still playing with the ladder sight with 500gr cast at long range. It's surprisingly accurate considering the short sight radius.
    Good to see a few of us utilizing the Trappers, glad you are enjoying experimenting around with the 45-70, 500gr cast - oof! I actually used Winny's 1 piece steel base with Talleys (pics pilfered from their site), I totally agree - there is no substitute for decent optics on a modern hunting rig IMHO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1EDE2AF2-58CA-45C4-9355-94DC5BAD32AC.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	274571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F94BDC7-D18F-4C1B-98FB-691F28D4F573_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	274572

Boolit Buddy
    MVA "B" series would look great on that.