Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting pythons in florida

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    870 Remington, extended magazine tube, two balladeers of buckshot.....ready to hunt pythons!
    You have the right idea Hickock. The exact method I would choose. I think the pythons were released when hurricane Andrew tore up a reptile compound back in the 80s. There DNA has been checked and they it seems they are from the same group.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    One of the things I really admire about America is your system of looking after the game and native animals, paying a bounty is a good part of this I would think. There was a time when we also had a bounty system but that is long gone in most cases. The fox domestic cats and Indonesian Myna are three that should have bounties while we still have a few native animals left. I live in suburbia and would have my Cup of tea and toast on my veranda with the red and blue wrens every morning, have not seen one in several years now but have trapped and sent about 60 cats to pound in last few years, 17 in one week is my best. I am not a real cat lover but my wife is so our cat remains inside, I do long for the days when I used to get between $6 and $8 a skin in my young days. There are those that find it hard to believe that cats running wild in the bush actually kill all native animals including our Wallabies. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Stephen, all invasive species are treated as the pythons are. We have been beset with Green Iguanas which are not native, create a mess and eat native vegetation. While they are in no way protected people won't kill them because they like the way they look or are good for the tourist trade. Thanks to a couple of hurricanes and some uncaring owners who have discarded their pets in the Everglades there a lot of non-natives out there. It's just that some thrive better than others.

Boolit Master
    This sounds like a 2021 covid summer vacation!
    Skin some pythons!
    I spent some time in South Florida,
    sometimes I miss that swamp.
    Regs say you have to be a resident to apply.
    I wonder if you can collect a bounty without a permit, knowing FL probly not.
    Quick google-fu search found

Python is good in chili — or so Kalil says. She also likes it in stir fry. But her favorite way to eat python is to pressure cook it for 10 or 15 minutes, sauté it with onions and garlic, and add it to pasta and sauce.Dec 12, 2020

Haven't found a rattler yet around here big enough to make a hat-band, but a python would do.

Boolit Master
    I ate snake once on a survival course and found it tasty, but I had not eaten in a couple days. I once suggested to a senior wild life officer that we should allow people to keep native species as pets and that may well lower the number of cats being kept by animal lovers, he assured me he once suggested that and near lost his position over such a suggestion. I know the cat lovers will carry on but in this country they are by far the worst invasive species we have. Regards Stephen

Rattlesnake is actually pretty good

May i ask.what is a nutria?

Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats...ocastor-coypus
    NRA Benefactor

Bought the Diana 350 magnum 177 pellet rifle from Numrich for the sole purpose of disposing iguanas around here. My neighbor has about 30 to his credit in the last couple of months. Now for some time off to hone my skills for that project.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Stephen, all invasive species are treated as the pythons are. We have been beset with Green Iguanas which are not native, create a mess and eat native vegetation. While they are in no way protected people won't kill them because they like the way they look or are good for the tourist trade. Thanks to a couple of hurricanes and some uncaring owners who have discarded their pets in the Everglades there a lot of non-natives out there. It's just that some thrive better than others.
    Iguanas are known as Jungle Chicken by Special Forces and people of the Central Americans.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

We were down in the everglades during Christmas. We took a boat tour; the guy in the tour said that possums, rabbits and racoons have pretty much been wioed out by the pythons. Alligator population has been negatively impacted because the snakes catch and eat the young shortly after they hatch.

They hunt and capture them in good numbers, but the snakes produce several thousand young each year. It is difficult to keep up.

Bounty info...
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...dou-story.html

An even worse threat is on the way. Singer sort of large lizard called a Tegu. It may give the pythons competition. Snakes and alligators eat once every few days or week. This lizard will eat every day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pcolapaddler; 01-02-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master

I've had chicken fried rattlesnake several times. Like chicken bites, quite tasty, especially with some good cream gravy.

Boolit Master

Actually, the taste of the rattlesnake is very mild, like chicken breast, most taste was in the breading and gravy.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Actually, the taste of the rattlesnake is very mild, like chicken breast, most taste was in the breading and gravy.
    gbrown, I need new glasses I read your last paragraph as, most taste was in the breeding and gravy. My mind went wild there for a minute. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Friend in S Ga. books lizard hunts in everglades, only use pellet guns (air or spring) as guess firearms are not allowed. He’s written a cookbook on using them.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I caught an episode ... after a successful hunt they cooked a "snake" Jambalaya ...Troy Landry surprised me ... he didn't seem to enjoy it . I don't think Troy will be putting that recipe in his cook book !
    I wonder how much the bounty is on the Pythons and if that's Dead Or Alive ?
    I'm getting a little old for bounty hunting and will stick with the $6.00 Nutria bounty ...they eat good and no person has ever been attacked and killed by a Nutria !
    Actually Troy didn't seem all that excited about grabbing a huge snake that can bite the creep out of you and they are constrictors ... Lots of added drama for the camera ... you don't have to catch them bare handed .
    I would bring my 22 Nutria rifle ... one shot to the snake brain and he's toast .
    Gary
    I bet he wouldn’t eat a alligator over 7 feet long either I’m sure big snakes are like big gators, tough and oily. That’s why fried alligator in restaurants is cut up so small and marinated before it’s fried. And why a jambalaya ? Stew that down in a gravy
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    This sounds like a 2021 covid summer vacation!
    Skin some pythons!
    I spent some time in South Florida,
    sometimes I miss that swamp.
    Regs say you have to be a resident to apply.
    I wonder if you can collect a bounty without a permit, knowing FL probly not.
    Quick google-fu search found

Python is good in chili — or so Kalil says. She also likes it in stir fry. But her favorite way to eat python is to pressure cook it for 10 or 15 minutes, sauté it with onions and garlic, and add it to pasta and sauce.Dec 12, 2020

Haven't found a rattler yet around here big enough to make a hat-band, but a python would do.
    I'd heard what I had considered to be an old wive's tale for years about a rattlesnake skin hat band giving you a headache. Well, I made one years ago, and I'll be darned if it didn't give me a headache!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    A fur bearing , plant eating , invasive animal from South America ... they escaped into the Louisiana wetlands and do damage to levees and water ways and marsh vegetation .
    They have a $6.00 bounty on the tails turned in , you can keep the fur and the meat is very good...if you are a Cajun and can cook wild game ...it's one of the tastier animals .
    Riding up and down the canals at night shooting them is practiced by many local Sherriff's Departments ... Swat Team rifle practice !

I would much prefer to have Nutria's than them huge awful Snakes ... I don't like snakes either !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    And here I thought this was a Colt thread...
    Yep. Was expecting a hot tip on finding great estate sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    There are those that find it hard to believe that cats running wild in the bush actually kill all native animals
    Snakes eat whatever they kill, however-
    Common house cats running around loose outside, and stray dogs in packs are about the only animals,
    besides people that kill things and do it just because they can.

Packs of dogs kill a lot of deer by running them to death, and then don't eat them.
    Cats will do their best to eliminate the bird population in their area, and not always eat them either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.