WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tenderize meat with baking soda

Boolit Grand Master

Tenderize meat with baking soda

Before New Years, I went to Sam's Club to pick up some meat.
    Their shipment of all the good meat didn't make it.
    Found some Sirloin Tip that looked good.
    I've always wanted to try tenderize meat with baking soda.
    I also seasoned it a day before, and brought it to room temp before grilling.
    It came out good.
    Not as tender as Rib eye, but close enough for me.

Boolit Master

Use 8 oz bicarb or baking soda per 8 oz of "economical" cuts of beef or chicken, toss with your fingers and let sit for 30 minutes then rinse and pat off excess water. Cook as you wish.
    The Chinese call this "velveting" the meat.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banned

they used to sell (dont know if they still do) adolfs meat tenderizer and it was nothing but baking soda.

I never had hear of this before , it is interesting about . Then you do not need to do anything else to the meat then?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Meat tenderizer is Papain, comes from the papaya plant. Used to use it in my Science classes. Make some gelatin balls and give them to the students along with tenderizer and let them roll it around in it. Breaks down the proteins, softens the gelatin ball. Just like we used Adolf's seasoning salt on jellyfish stings. It has Papain in it, broke down the proteins in the poison, taking away the sting. You can find various things in the spice aisle, read it and see if it has Papain in it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Meat tenderizer is Papain, comes from the papaya plant. Used to use it in my Science classes. Make some gelatin balls and give them to the students along with tenderizer and let them roll it around in it. Breaks down the proteins, softens the gelatin ball. Just like we used Adolf's seasoning salt on jellyfish stings. It has Papain in it, broke down the proteins in the poison, taking away the sting. You can find various things in the spice aisle, read it and see if it has Papain in it.
    This is correct ... Papain ... comes from the Papaya ... It is a natural product and safe .

A quick search on meat tenderizer turned up a list of 10 common things that can be used as meat tenderizer . Pineapple juice was one !

See post #8 and #9 ... I had posted some incorrect information
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-03-2021 at 07:37 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Bromelian comes from pineapple.

Boolit Grand Master

I was wrong about Bromelian and Papain being the same thing ... they are not !

I have the bottle of Adolphs Tenderizer Original, unseasoned , no MSG , in my hand and here are the ingredients : Salt , Sugar , Food Starch (prevents caking) Papain (from Papaya fruit)
    That's all the ingredients in Adolph's .

Bromelian is found in Pineapple ... it can be used as a tenderizer but is from pineapple and Papain is from Papaya...and used in Adolphs Meat Tenderizer.

Learned something new ... don't believe everything you find posted on the net ...some stuff gets screwed up and I hope I got a little of it straightened out at least in my mind .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to try it with chuck steak.
    Soak it for half hour. Wash it off.
    Season the day before grilling.
    I think I'll try and cut it into thinner pieces this time.
    Get more surface area exposed.
    Maybe poke holes in it with that spike thing for meat.

Boolit Master

About the OP. First, most meat like he described, sold at Sam's is prime, top cut of beef. That's my experience. Baking soda is a type of salt. So, brining one of the best cuts of meat. Yep, that'll work. If it works for you, go for it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Bub
    So is this why many people cook their ham with a pineapple slice? It would explain the reason for the combination to me finally.