WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Jake’s 50-50 Lube?

Boolit Grand Master

Jake’s 50-50 Lube?

With the announcement that ALOX had been discontinued by the manufacturer, I figured I’d better boost up my supply, so when I saw an ad on flea Bay for hollow sticks of 50-50 at an attractive price, I figured “Why not?” I got them in and they were individually wrapped in waxed paper and in a zip loc bag with a tag saying Jakes 50-50 ALOX beeswax lube. The stick I unwrapped was a little more tacky than my last sticks of Tamarack and it looks a little more milky and flat where the Tamarack is darker brown and more shiny. So, has anybody used one after the other? How do they compare?

From what I am reading, the company may be out of business now... they certainly don’t advertise much, so these 5 sticks may be all I get, but I’m wondering whether it will need to be remelted and remixed with some more beeswax or maybe some carnauba to harden it up just a bit(?)

Frogging
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have been using Jake's 50 50 for years for pistol. It needs no heat but a little messy. I guess they went out of business so I just ordered something else.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I have been using Jake's 50 50 for years for pistol. It needs no heat but a little messy. I guess they went out of business so I just ordered something else.
    Thanks, 45DUDE. I got the impression that maybe the sticks I got were a little long on ALOX and short on beeswax since they are so soft and cloudy looking. I guess I'll try a stick as-is in my old Ideal #1 with 313 size bullets that don't require much sizing... that should be a gentle enough use for the old press. If I get decent results that way, I'll continue using the rest of this batch that way. It should last me quite a while. I've got about everything else but ALOX for mixing my own lubes (ASSRA/Schuetzen and N-SSA muzzle loaders) so if the sticks don't work out for that app, I'll just salvage them by throwing them in a pot boiling at a lonely crossroads at the dark of the moon.

Thanks again!
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Green Frog there is an ebay auction with 41 tubes of Tamarrack 50-50 right now 10 bids at $66, ends sunday evening.
    Charter Member #148

Banner Sponsor

The situation as I understand it is... Jakes used 50% Alox 350 and 50% Beeswax, as advertised on his auctions.
    The problem is that Alox 350 was softer than the old Alox 2138F. So to compensate for the softer Alox, you needed to add 6-7% MicroWax to the Alox first to make it's consistency similar to Alox 2138F. He did not do this part, and that is why his 50-50 is a little on the soft side.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, lar45. I guess I should also ask you about the current status of 50-50 from your supply. Does the current supply show signs of being exhausted any time soon, or will we be able to continue getting it for a while? Am I panicking for nothing?

Is there a suitable substitute on the horizon for the discontinued Alox?

Froggie

Boolit Master

What about White Label Lube ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banner Sponsor

I have enough Alox 350 to last for a few more months.
    Yes I do add the Micro Wax to mine.
    I have samples of what I think will be a suitable replacement and have people lined up to test some of the lubes. There is a lot of testing that has to happen before it gets the seal of approval.
    I will keep you posted.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    What about White Label Lube ?
    I dont even really use 50/50, but I'm tempted to pick up a jug of xlox just to have. Perhaps with my next order of BAC.