Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yeeeoooowwww!

Banned

WE have more than one thing affecting the availability of all components. First, I read just the other day there has been an exponential rise in the number of internet searches on "Reloading ammo", so a lot more reloaders or at least people wanting to start reloading. I can attest to it here as I have fielded questions from friends I would never have thought would ever want to reload.
    Second, You have a record number of "new" gun purchasers/owners. The numbers I have personally seen are between 7 and 9 million new purchasers in three months from March - June 2020. According to the info I read each of these buyers were buying 100 rounds of ammo with each gun purchase.
    Third, you still have folks like us who were, and are still, trying to purchase our "normal" amounts of ammo/components. WE all, like new owners, want to keep our shooting habits supplied.
    Fourth, I have read from several sources that the component manufacturers are first working to supply the ammo manufacturing chain with components to re-supply the ammo shelves, and they make more profit selling to manufacturers than to reloaders.

IMHO, all we can do is what is suggested above, continue to shop and watch for our components and buy whenever you can. Even if it's something you don't need perhaps you can trade for what you need. Right now I have an ample supply, that is to say, I could always use more, but I can sufice for a good while with what I have on hand now. However, I am always watching for more.
    Keep the faith and may God Bless all.

TG

Boolit Master
    Local shop has a shelf full of powder. 231 and H335 was $35/lb. Power Pro 2000-MR- $45/lb. Lots of 209 primers at $35/1000. 3 primer flats and 6 powder cases were empty when I got there just before closing at 3pm. I don't see me being desperate anytime soon. The place opens at 9am 6 days a week and every parking space is occupied and there's a line out in the street everyone of those days. Free masks and sanitizer at the door. 2 1 gallon jugs of sanitizer empty on the counter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Tim, for that much I'll drive them where they need to go.
    I guess when the weather gets nicer if we still have supply problems it would be a good excuse for a bike ride.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    At $1188.00 a 1000 you could hand deliver any where in the country and make money
    I can stay home and make money, how do I value my time off? When I work I take home more than $500 a day but that would mean the ammo I loaded the other day cost me more than 50 cents a round. Save money reloading? Make money selling my stash? I just want to have fun. I stopped selling brass because it was more work than it was worth to me. I leave brass on the ground for others (not the best stuff) and if I bother picking some up it goes to the scrap yard (the scrapper says he has a customer for ammo brass).

I might deliver some primers but only if it would seem like a fun trip.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Tim,
    I was in the same situation. There is a training class to get HazMat certified and I was planning to take it. But a member here suggested I place an ad in the state gun organization web site and it worked. I am not asking GB prices but I am not dealing with shipping one or two thousand at a time either. I have sold most of my inventory (had a lifetime supply) for $90/1000 for Wolf to $120/1000 for Winchester. (150k+ primers sold to 4 buyers). All gone in about 10 days.

My biggest sale was to a competitive shooter and I had another sale to a place that remanufactures ammunition. If there are any small companies making ammunition in your state that is a good place to start . BTW, when I placed the ad, the minimum order was $1000. I did not want to deal with guys looking for a couple of thousand primers. They will be the whiners and complainers. Every one of my buyers was thrilled and two wanted more. I could have sold another 100k.

In hindsight, I could have charged a bit more but at least I am done with it (last delivery is next weekend). Some of the money has gone to fund a new toy (high end PCP gun and the stuff to use it) that will give me a new challenge and insulate me from .22 shortages in the future. Some will be put away to buy back when prices drop back down. I kept about a 4 year supply of primers and powder as my safety net. If the SHTF, I will reduce shooting CF and it will last longer.

Some of the members here will think I should have tried to help the "little guy" who wants 1000 primers. Well I did....indirectly. I have put over 150k primers into my local market. One guy was smart enough to pool orders from his gun club and they all have primers. Two of the other buyers are now out of the market as their needs are met. The sale to the ammunition company will not influence the "little guy" who reloads, but gets more ammunition to shooters who need a few boxes of ammunition. None of the primers and powders I sold went to "hoarders".
    I get it and think what you did was more than fine. God, if I sold a 1000 primers to someone and they whined about me gouging them I would be wicked upset. I have the primers, pay my price or look someplace else. I have not bought a primer since the shortage started so don't call me a gouging hoarder.

I guess I will just keep my primers, I don't need the grief.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Normalcy bias lulls many into the thought that they just have to hang on for awhile and it will return to abundant supply albeit with unknown increases of price. This next administration has other ideas.

Boolit Master

Powder Valley got a shipment today; bet it's all gone by tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The reloading component shortage started with Covid. All the people staying at home loaded a lot of ammo out of boredom. After that the riots and politics made for record sales of everything couple with between 8 and 10 million new gun owners dried up the supplies. Primers are the hardest. Did see an auction that 1,000 small rifle primers sold for $1,188.00 plus shipping.
    This just about sums it all up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12