WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shotgun barrel work--Who?

Boolit Grand Master

Shotgun barrel work--Who?

Have one of those O/U 410 shotguns with IC/F tubes and would like to possibly open the choke to maybe modified or choke tubes.

Who to do the work? Suggestions?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    While I can see the possible versatility of choke tubes, I don't really like them.

As far as I know Briley is still the big name in shotgun barrel work.

Robert

Boolit Master
    This is who I have used for several jobs, very satisfied with his work and less expensive than Briley.
    http://www.phillipsgunsmithing.com/home.html

Boolit Master

Check with a sporting clays gun club near you.

Boolit Buddy
    I would say Briley because they're awesome and they're about an hour from my house lol
    Cargo

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master
    https://kerryallor.com/

I use him for K-80 work and he is a certified Krieghoff gunsmith but works on all types of shotguns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Mike orlen
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    I hate to be a bitter pill but I would say anyone but briley. I know of 2 shotguns they wrecked 1 was mine and the other belonged to a local shooter. They do what they want to your gun not what you tell them to. The local guy sent them a ithaca skb semi auto to have it fitted for choke tubes it was sent out with a 30" barrel and came back a 26". As for mine I sent them my 12 gauge beretta sporting onyx to have it fitted for a couple of sets of sub gauge tubes. Rather than turning the breach end of the tubes to fit the chambers they took an oversize reamer and chewed the you know what out of both chambers and forcing cones right through the chrome lining they also charged me around 150.00 to put mechanical triggers in the gun which already had mechanical triggers. What was the icing on the cake was when the 28 gauge set of tubes had a tube split lengthwise on the second trip around the sporting clays course using factory win AA's. They may have been the best at one time but after what I went though I wouldn't let them change a choke tube let along install them.

I'd say Briley as well, and I'd say Hawkeye's experience was an Isolated Event which should have been taken up with the Head Duck at Briley to find out exactly why it got screwed up.

Know this!!!: If you aren't prepared to delineate "EXACTLY what YOU WANT DONE" in writing to any outfit doing work for you on anything. You will probably be disappointed.

Been there, done that since a long time ago and I arrived at this next statement.

I have been dealing with subcontractors for the last 40 years.

Unless you tell them Exactly what you want done in writing,,,

They will do exactly what they thought you told them to do!

Or whatever they think they remember, that you told them to do?

Hence,,, give it to them in writing, and explain what the writing actually means. Pictures help!!!.

I just dropped off parts to be painted at my painters shop. However it had been sold and I had to explain in detail, everything I wanted and how I wanted it done to the new owner. Luckily the actual painter is still there and he had done this job for me many times and new exactly what needs to be done, however it is in writing in the hands of the new owner now. I have established a Relationship with him and will show him my Jeep and other projects I've done to drive the relationship forward.

I do this with suppliers in other states as well when I can't have a direct face to face with them, and I always try to give them as much info as I can to try to build the Relationship. I send them to my Website or send them pics of what I am talking about to further cement the relationship and their understanding of what I need, and why I need it. They usually do real well.

You are the sum total of your Relationships with other people, and he who has the most Relationships does the best.

You guys may have noticed how I post alot of pics with my Posts? I have been building Relationships with the people on this Site since 2008. I think it has been working pretty well so far.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-08-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    It was taken up with the head man in which I was grudgingly given a refund for the crappy subsub gauge tube sets and told tough you know what about the triggers and the damage done to the bores.

Boolit Bub
    Another vote here for Mike Orlen, he has done a couple of choke installs for me. Excellent job each time, Im fortunate enough to live close enough to drive there and get stuff done while I wait.