WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50-70 Brass

Boolit Mold

50-70 Brass

Hi! I'm the *** here! Hello!

I'm pretty new to guns in general though I've had them over the years. I even put together a BP pistol kit in the early 80s, but never got a chance to shoot it - neighbor kids stole it. Earlier this year I found an 1851 Pietta Navy at the pawn shop and couldn't resist the brass frame, trigger guard and backstrap. And then a .50 TC Hawkins showed up at another pawn shop for $175 and again, I couldn't pass up all that pretty brass hardware. It was a kit and several things needed cleaning up, so now all that's left is taking it all apart and finishing the stock properly.

Anyway, I've now launched into early cartridge guns with a Pedersolli Remington rolling block in 50 caliber. Unfortunately, the brass isn't readily available currently. I've read good things about Starline but they're not currently available. A batch of 50 just sold on Guntrader for
    $130. Who knows when Starline will produce more? Almost three bucks a case seems a bit much to me.

I have heard that it's possible to repurpose brass for this gun. But no idea what that might be. Hopefully you guys can help me out. It would be nice if I could alter some other cheaper and more available brass for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boolit Master
    It can be made from 50-110, 50-90, 348wcf, etc. But the cost won't be much less. The brass will last forever in that gun providing it's not being hot rodded. Fire an email to starline, they generally begin production when they get enough interest - perhaps your email will be the tipping point!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

All the brass that I can think of to make it from cost more than it does.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Dixie gun Works has the basic 3 1/4" .50 Sharps cases that are made to be cut down to fit the .50-140, .50-90, and .50-70 govt.

They're crazy expensive, but they have 'em in stock.
    A box of 20 is only $76.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

call these guys, thats where i got the 50-70 brass for my F I L, think it was 1.50 a case (they were starline)

https://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, pacomdiver. I'll give them a call. Do you have an email for them? All I find is the phone number.

Ok - I'll let Starline know i want some. Wouldn't that be nice if my request makes it happen?

Welcome to Castboolits WinchesterColt, keep trying to find your components, in the end it will be a whole heap of fun.

Your interest is so like mine, Pietta c&b pistol, 54cal TC Hawkin, And of course the Pedersoli 50/70 long range 1874 Sharps. If only we were neighbours, I could hand you 50/70 supplies over the fence!

Brass is very expensive here in Australia at $AU110/20 Starline from one dealer, and $AU170/50 from another. Then of course FFG powder is $AU139/kg but that's life.

You don't say which model, or how long is the barrel, my Sharps is 34" and is very accurate with the Lyman 515141 boolit (450gns). Alternatively I use a 510gn boolit wor target work.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

thats all i found, i just drive there when i need stuff

Boolit Master
    Try this, my research says it should work....with minor mods. Site says it is available.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/50-alaskan-brass

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Rocky Mountain cartridges... lathe turned ... https://www.rockymountaincartridge.c...uct%20List.pdf
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Hi Bad *** Wallace! A Sharps would have been nice, but this Remington showed up cheap, so now you know. I'm still watching for a Parker Hale Enfield or Whitworth - but they're a little more than I want to spend right now. Looks like you've been here a while - glad to meet you! What's it like hunting over there down under?

Oh man! You've gotta be rich over there to enjoy these guns! I feel sorry for you. Are those prices normal, or like here inflated 250% in the last nine months?

I can't give you much in the way of specifics on the Remington since it's still in the mail. Hopefully it'll show up in a week or two. The butt stock has a recoil pad installed and that might be part of the reason I got it for the opening bid - $300. Nonetheless, it seemed like a screaming deal to me, but didn't realize brass would be such a problem. I imagine there will be stuff to take care of and fix - seems the way it goes with used guns. Even the new repros require 'tuning' and fitting to make everything right. I've been into motorcycles my whole life and am used to that with every new (used) one I've ever gotten. It's been pretty much the same in the gun world, I'm finding.

I've read that the 515141 Lyman is the way to go, but looks like I'll have to purchase new (I NEVER buy new stuff if I can help it) since used aren't showing up in my searches. Glad to hear it's working well for you. I've never cast bullets, much less shot a BP gun, so it's all new to me. Exciting!

There certainly is a lot to learn and know in this game!

I called Dixons and they have some, but they're $2.50 each. Since I won't be needing them just yet, I'm seeing if anything cheaper turns up. These were $1.15 before the plague hit. Now they're more than doubled in cost. Not sure how many I should get - seems like 20 or 30 should be enough. What do you think?

Thanks for the help Tim and John. I'll look into them.

Boolit Mold
    John Boy - it appears the 50-70 government from Rocky Mtn is $90 for 20 shells. $4.50 each. Ouch! But they don't say BACKORDERED

Tim - the Starline Alaskan Brass looks like a possibility, though I certainly don't need 250 cases. LOL
    I'll have to cross reference the dimensions - are the rims and cases the same? I seem to recall the 50-70 brass is tapered. Correct?

How much too long is the Alaskan?

If they work, I guess I could put up an add and sell the couple hundred I don't need.

Once you have the components, there is a whole lot of fun to be had. Prices are near normal and just not in shops. I have about 250 brass cases and 3 molds that I can use.

38/55, 40/65, 45/70, 50/70 & 577 Snider (with 22 Hornet for compariison)

My M/L's including PH Enfield and Volunteer

Then of course there are military re-enactments, but that's another chapter

Boolit Mold
    Ooh man! You're making me jealous. What a collection! Wish you were my neighbor - you could jump the fence and shoot any time you want.

It appears the 50 Alaskan is pretty close in the important dimensions. It's .001" larger in neck Diameter, .012" smaller in Base D., but the rim is .050" smaller.
    Except for being .35" too long which is easy to fix, the only one that concerns me is the rim. I don't know if that could be a problem or not. I'm thinking of calling Starline and requesting a sample case.
    Last edited by WinchesterColt; 01-02-2021 at 08:11 PM.

I use 348 Winchester brass to make 12.7 x 44R for my rolling block. The rim is smaller than the original cartridge but the extractor still works. I believe you can reform these to make 50/70 cases also.

(L to R) 50/70, 348 Win, Trimmed to length, completed and fire formed 12.7x44R case.

Boolit Mold
    The 348 is listed as the parent cartridge. If the smaller diameter rim still works, then the 50 Alaskan could be the answer. How difficult is it to expand the narrower section up front?

Boolit Master
    It's the other way around. The 348 WCF was designed around a parent cartridge which was the 50-110 (which had its roots in the various 50 hyphen cartridges). Your effort would be basically trimming and sizing from the aforementioned brass that's available.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I expand in a number of steps, .375, .429, .458, then .510.

Boolit Master
    The reason I suggested the .50 Alaskan was when I got my Swedish rolling block I too used 348 Winchester brass to make 12.7 x 44R before I got 50-70 brass. When I was hunting for brass someone who I don't remember suggested (or maybe I just found the hint on the internet) .50 Alaskan as it was originally as a wildcat formed from 348 Win. same deal with .500 Linebaugh but it is too short. Of course with a rimmed mostly straight case short still works.

Tim

Boolit Master
    If you have 348 win brass you can just fireform it in the gun with a light load of powder and filler. You don't have to use dies to expand the neck.

Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast