MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger for an AR

Boolit Man

Trigger for an AR

I have a Spikes Tactical lower with a Bushmaster A2 HBAR upper.
    Quintessential AR "across the course" 10 pound target rifle.
    Great rifle, very accurate. But the trigger is like some of the dirt tracks I used to race my motorcycles on.
    I have researched drop in triggers, and there are several to choose from. I have also researched having the Spikes trigger group cleaned and polished. Around here the charge for that is about the same as just buying a drop in.
    My question is; is there any reason why I would have the original Spikes trigger worked on, or shall I just buy a drop in and be done with it.

This is an old photo, I had the bolt out cleaning up from a trip to the range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AR 002.jpg  
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Boolit Grand Master

I have jewel triggers in all my AR match rifles fully adjustable and reliable but not true drop in.Takes a little to install 3 hands and a couple toes at time to hold each piece in alignment. The gizzels are very good an easier to install but came out after I had bought the jewels.

The ALG ACT is solid for a straight up replacement. Little take up, pretty clean break. Very smooth. I use them in most of my AR builds.

Timney makes drop in triggers for ARs as well. I like their triggers in my bolt gun.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

I have a Spikes lower with the JP trigger group, speed hammer and 3.5 lb spring. It's not drop-in and wasn't easy to install. After three tries, I've got the best trigger I've ever shot on a semi auto, bar none. The way the hammer and trigger act is of great importance. The take-up, lock time, clean break, backlash and reset matter. The JP was a pain to install the first two time, but really performs for its intended purpose...
    Last edited by gnostic; 01-01-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I used the EPT trigger from PSA cheap, drop in, and quite liveable for the $$ spent. I suppose I could polish that or lessen the spring but it's not a match grade rifle, it's a 10.5" pistol in 300AAC for CQB where trigger pull will be the least of my concerns. I think you have to figure out the specific use for the rifle, and match the trigger to that task.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Super Moderator

I have 2 AR's fitted with the Timney 2-2 Targa triggers. It's a two stage trigger with 2 pound take-up, and two pound release. It's an easy drop in and I've been happy with them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1146417971

CMC is the best drop in for the money but at $130 through Primary Arms right now, it's more than I like to spend. I do my own triggers.

Flatten the sides with wet sand paper on glass,
    Assemble with grease
    Use reduced power trigger and disconnector springs from Wolff, etc.
    Put a high polish finish on the "rolling" parts (except the sear).
    Use an Allen plug screw (same thread pattern as the grip screw) with blue Lock-Tite to take all the preload and free space out of the trigger (too far and the safety will not work).

That's the $18 way to get a 3-4 pound clean break AR trigger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    CMC is the best drop in for the money but at $130 through Primary Arms right now, it's more than I like to spend. I do my own triggers.

Flatten the sides with wet sand paper on glass,
    Assemble with grease
    Use reduced power trigger and disconnector springs from Wolff, etc.
    Put a high polish finish on the "rolling" parts (except the sear).
    Use an Allen plug screw (same thread pattern as the grip screw) with blue Lock-Tite to take all the preload and free space out of the trigger (too far and the safety will not work).

That's the $18 way to get a 3-4 pound clean break AR trigger.
    This is what I have been doing for years. Using tw25 grease and my favorite lower parts kit 3 lbs is pretty easy.

Boolit Master
    The best bang for the buck in an AR-15 trigger, IMHO. And yes, I have other, more expensive triggers. They make several variations:

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Trinity Ordnance does a good trigger job for about $40. They are in Lake Worth off Jacksboro Highway next to the bridge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the Larue trigger.

Degrease the parts and dry fire a few hundred times and see if the parts wear in. Lube with graphite.

Most of the AR triggers and sears are surface hardened, so you have to be careful, but you can stone them. Take the sear and give it a very light touch with a fine Arkansas stone. Reassemble with graphite and see how it does. Won't cost ya nothing.

Boolit Master
    been temped by the ar stoner enhanced trigger, anyone have experience with them?

Boolit Man
    I’ve improved the triggers in my ARs significantly just through a good polishing job.

I have CMC and a PSA.

Both are 3.5 pound breaks. I like them both. Stupidly easy to install.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

I really like Geissele 2 stage triggers, but you can’t beat the Rock River Arms 2 stage on price. The ALG ACT is a fair budget single stage.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

La Rue MBT’s in everything they will fit.

Boolit Master
    does anyone have experience or know if the Ruger elite 452 msr triggers are any good?

Boolit Grand Master

All three of my lowers use Rise Armament triggers cost efficient and a really crisp let off.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

CMC is what I use, I've been very happy with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast