Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: old RCBS dies surface rust

Moderator Emeritus

old RCBS dies surface rust

After years of procrastination, I am finally setting up to load for 45-70. I bought a Ruger #3 in 2015...still haven't shot it yet Back then, I did bought a NOE mold for it, then sold it as I decided I didn't like the design. I did cast a bunch, before I sold it, so I will be able to try them. I have recently ordered another NOE mold (clone of the Lyman 457483, no longer made by Lyman), that is more to my liking (more on that mold at a later date, and in it's own thread), but that mold hasn't arrived yet. I have the Lee 340gr FN mold, that is the boolit I will be working with later today or this weekend.

Some time ago, I bought a old RCBS 3 die set (date code G, circa 1956) and the dies have some surface rust on them. Currently I have them soaking. Luckily there is no rust in the Sizing area of the FL sizer die, and also no rust in the crimp area of the seat/crimp die. None of the rust is the severe pitting type, it's just the shallow, ugly surface type.

So the question is,
    Do I completely de-rust the dies (with chemicals and/or electricity)?
    OR
    Do I just clean them with oil and denim cloth, and maybe oil and gentle "hand-powered" wire brushing on the knurling (to leave all the vintage patina)?

I imagine some people will just say, it's a personal preference. So, while I do like patina/rust-stain on vintage tools (I have a pretty good collection of old tools, thanks to my Dad and both Grandpas...plus some that I've acquired plenty auctions and garage sales), I also like shiny and new looking tools, because who doesn't?

Which way should I go?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The insides I’d polish with crocus cloth on a stick, just in case. The outsides would get a bath overnight in Liquid Wrench and brushing with a brass wire brush. A wipe with paper towels to get the loose rust off, and any residual crocus out of the insides, and a light oiling, and that would be it for me.

Scratches, scoring or pitting inside the dies—I generally start with 400 grit wet-or-dry, go to 600 after the surface looks good and then crocus. But it would have to be an uncommon caliber for me to go to that trouble, if I found the dies used. I’d normally just wait for a better set to come along.

Boolit Master
    I think your plan is a good one. One extra step I took with a set of dies with exterior surface rust was to cold blue them once they were cleaned up. They took a deep black finish and look like it was intended.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Use EvapoRust to remove the surface rust almost instantly. I wouldn't use anything coarser than Flitz Metal Polish on the inside of a sizing die. I learned this trick from Varmint Al's website: http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polish

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

If you have a sonic cleaner it will take the rust off and give the dies the black cold blue look. I would use the highest grit paper or some sort of metal polish on the insides if they need it. Mine were okay.

Boolit Master

This has been asked before. The simplest solution (pun intended) is to soak them for a couple days in a solution of water and citric acid. All the rust will fall off and the dies will look like new. You can get citric acid on Amazon or at a women's hobby store like HobbyLobby.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Straight vinegar works pretty good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I wet tumble rust/dirt off of tools & such.

Evapo rust is a miracle worker. I’d be inclined to try nyfirefighter357 suggestion, I’ve wet tumbled anything steel that will fit inside my drum that needs cleaning. It works every time.