Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: noe bullet sizing die question

Boolit Master

noe bullet sizing die question

haven't used mine yet; but, was looking at the directions and came up with a thought. why can't i size nose first with a flat top lyman/rcbs top punch that will push the bullet and gas check most of the way thru the sizing die. or i can make one longer to push all the way thru. or am i missing something?

Not sure what you mean. I use mine in my star sizer with the adapter and I do them nose first and I just use my flat punch to push them through.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    haven't used mine yet; but, was looking at the directions and came up with a thought. why can't i size nose first with a flat top lyman/rcbs top punch that will push the bullet and gas check most of the way thru the sizing die. or i can make one longer to push all the way thru. or am i missing something?
    I'm not sure i understand the question..... but the kit comes with a holder for top punches, so if you want to size/apply GCs base first, it's totally doable. Or you can size/apply GCs nose first.

What I'm unsure about (maybe this is the question you are asking) is if you can seat a GC base first...but only partially push it through. Only seating the GC and not resizing the whole bullet. I dont know how that could be done. Not sure how to back out a bullet before it goes all the way through.

The way I accomplish this (in a round about way) is to seat the GC and push the bullet through a bushing that is 1 size( 0.001) bigger that won't resize the bullet. I only do that prior to PC and do a final sizing at the appropriate size after PC.

Boolit Master
    maybe i xplained wrong. with the current system, i guess that the nose first bullet ram stops at the base of the sizing die. my question is; why can't i use a flat "punch" to push the bullet nose first thru the sizing instead of having the bullet stop at the base of the sizing die and use the next bullet to push thru. i think that's what i mean.

Boolit Master
    Yes you can. NOE includes a holder for nose punches that fits on the press ram just for base first sizing. It is made for RCBS/Lyman nose punches. NOE sells flat nose punches as well.

I found that gas checks went on better when the bullets were sized nose first. The die push rod keeps the GC square as it is crimped on the bullet.

And no, the push rod does not stop at the base of the sizing die. It pushes the bullet all the way through the die. You need a push rod for each caliber of bullet since they are close in dia to the size die.

The body size bushings have a slight taper to them so the bullet must go completely through the bushing to be sized properly. The body size bushings are about 5/8" 'long'. The nose size bushings are about 3/8" 'long'.

Do you have or are you using the push rod for the die?
    Try this link for instructions.

http://www.noebulletmolds.com/smf/in...p?topic=1245.0

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    that splains a lot. i have no push rods. no reference to them in the instructions

Moderator Emeritus
    It depends on how you are sizing them. With a Star, either way is fine. With a Lyman?/RCBS sizer, the nose would fill with lube if you sized nose first. A Lee push through would work either way but nose first is easier.

Boolit Master
    i do have one push rod that is for 45 cal. since that is all i have i thought that the system was designed for that push rod to bottom out on the sizing die and the next bullet would push it thru. i giess i'll order more push rods