Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 45 Colt Load Data For Cimarron 73

Boolit Mold

45 Colt Load Data For Cimarron 73

Planning on ordering a Cimarron 73 Sporting Rifle 24in" 45 Colt. Anyone have a favorite load using the 260 bullet? I know the action is not as robust as the Marlins, Win. 92 and 94. What would be some safe loads for this rifle. Don't want to destroy a new rifle. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Boolit Master
    Stick with the traditional loadings on the 73, as they have a toggle arangement, instead of locking lugs for the bolt. I like 231 powder in my Marlin 1894. I use 7.7 gr with the 260 gr RNFP. Delivers 1050 fps in my 24" barrel. This is ballisticly equal to the traditional loading. Pleasant to shoot, and the cases last a long time. Some like 9 grains of Unique, for a traditional loading also, but accuracy wise it does not perform as well as the 231 loading in my rifle. As with any offered load data, start below, and work up. You may find lighter charge weights than these, shoot well and suit your purpose.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 12-31-2020 at 02:13 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    6.5 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup, 700X or Red Dot approximate factory velocity and are safe in your 1873.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Take your pick for reloading the 45 Colt. ... http://stevespages.com/451p_3_260.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

We are still looking at a system designed in 1840s (S&W Vulcan) and produced by Winchester in 1873.
    WE start by loading a brass with 3F goex so our intended cast weight will enter the case compressing the powder about 1/8". See what the velocity is.
    Then that is our max load using any smokeless powder.
    We intend our rifles will last through our great grandkids.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I have the same rifle, 8.5 grains of Unique with a 255 grain flat point.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I have the same rifle, 8.5 grains of Unique with a 255 grain flat point.
    Or, just 8.0 grains of Unique. Any standard low-pressure .45 Colt revolver load data meant for a Colt SAA or Italian clone will be suitable. Cowboy loads are even better and easier on the action.

Don't even think about +P or heavy bullet loads. If you want to shoot these, get an 1894 Marlin or a Henry Big Boy.

It may seem a waste of powder but.. if you already have any R 7 powder , start with about 20 grs. and work up from there. It is to slow of a powder to get yourself in trouble with but it is easy to ignite, burns decently at low pressures and has always given me accurate results with strait walled pistol cartridges and cast bollits.
    It wount be hi velocity but accuracy has always been great when I have used it.

Jedman

Panhandler - Unique, AA5, Red Dot, Universal, 2400, and Bullseye all work well in the .45Colt case, heeding the caution to hold pressures to 15,700psi. (Be advised that Steve's Pages give pressures that far exceed "Cowboy Loads" at his published "upper end"!!) The European's use 15,700psi rather than 14,000cup; your 1873 was made in Italy, so it should be OK with any load that stays within that standard. The good news is that with the longer barrel, your rifle should improve the velocity over a pistol by 150 to 250fps while being really pleasant and effective shooting or hunting.

Boolit Master

I use 8.5 gr. Unique with the 260 gr rnfp and get .75 inch 50 yard groups out of my Uberti 1873. YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    You can duplicate the 44-40 at standard pressures if you want a flatter shooting load. A Lee 200-rf at 1250-1300 fps is pretty flat shooting to 100 yards if you sight in 1 inch high at 50.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ has plenty of pressure-tested load data for 45 Colt.

Boolit Master

I've gone to the Lee 200gr rnfp for shooting in my 45 colts with 7.0 gr Titegroup. It's an accurate load and doesn't use as much lead, for everything but hunting. I think these guns (1873's) are stronger that the internet gurus say they are esp with new steels etc but I wouldn't push it with Ruger only loads etc. Just my opinion, worth what you paid

The design of the Winchester 1873 places considerable strain on a weak arrangement of toggles. The toggles will accumulate lost motion over time if over stressed. The action will be become loose and generally unsatisfactory.