MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jalapeņo

Boolit Buddy
    I grow and harvest jalepeno, tabasco, habenero, ghost and reapers every year. The left overs get dried and ground to use in a shaker for everyday use. Does not take much, but they are good.

Like above we dry them and grind them in a coffee grinder for pepper. Makes AWESOME flavored pepper and with the seeds in it dont take much to warm up the food.

Boolit Buddy
    Jalapeņo is considered almost sweet in Mexico...never heard of tabasco chiles (tabasco sauce is not really common over here, it tastes like vinager not like a real chile), but habanero (from havana) is a good one. Ghost is heavy stuff, I´ve tried them several times and you almost get numb.... At least in Mexico they are not named peppers but chiles, pepper is different and not as hot as a chile. In order to tame really hot chiles (chiles bravos) you can get the "veins" out from some chiles along with the seeds, that reduces the hot sensation but keeps the nice taste.
    Get some big jalapeņos (raw, not canned), cut the upper part and pull it in order to get the seeds out, put cheese inside, use the part you cut (without the seeds) to cover the chile....grill them and enjoy life

Boolit Master

Get some big fat jalapenos, put them in a barrel like basket on 2 poles over a hot mesquite fire (not too close) and smoke them til they are brownish red. Chipotle! Good,smoky and hot. Tabasco is the Tabasco pepper probably from Central America, used by the natives of the Caribbean, now they are raised in Louisiana. Peppers and salt go in a big barrel and allowed to ferment for some time. Juices drawn off the peppers make the sauce. Good stuff.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Tabasco is a southern state of Mexico. Chipotle is a different chile, dark red and spicy hot. Your idea of smoked jalapeņos sounds great, I´ll try it soon, maybe a mixture of your idea of smoked jalapeņos with my idea of melted cheese inside

Boolit Master

Jalapenos are great. I grow them.
    I pickle some of them but my favorite is Poppers.
    Add bacon crumbles to the cheese.
    Buy the mongo ones and cut off the stem end.
    Remove the seeds and veins.
    Fill half way with cheese and insert a Lil Smokie and fill with more cheese.
    Pop them on the grill until done. YUMMY.

Quote Originally Posted by kimoleto View Post
    Tabasco is a southern state of Mexico. Chipotle is a different chile, dark red and spicy hot. Your idea of smoked jalapeņos sounds great, I´ll try it soon, maybe a mixture of your idea of smoked jalapeņos with my idea of melted cheese inside
    Wiki: A chipotle, or chilpotle, is a smoke-dried ripe jalapeņo chili pepper used for seasoning. It is a chili used primarily in Mexican and Mexican-inspired cuisines, such as Tex-Mex and Southwestern dishes. It comes in different forms, such as chipotles en adobo.

Boolit Buddy
    ok, I was mistaken

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't care for HOT jalapeno's just grow some of the other "not so hot" varieties .
    I've planted and grown TAM , No-Heat and Coolapeno Jalapeno's and they have the flavor but much reduced heat .
    It's true ...some of us don't like it hot !

Tabasco Sauce , made by the McIlhenny family in Louisiana , is made with ripe red Tabasco peppers . Some are grown in La. but most are grown in Mexico ... in the State of Tabasco !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-14-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    There is actually a specific Tabasco pepper family. They are grown in several places around the world for the McIlhenny brand. Still true to the original strain from Louisiana, if I am not mistaken. You Tube has a documentary about it for free. I got the Reaper seeds from the original in Carolina. Takes moderation, but the flavor is outstanding.

I eat raw jalapeņos almost every day. I love stuffed jalapeņos with hot sausage, cheese, covered in bacon and dusted with Chupacabra rub( grilled)- they are a tradition at deer camp. Personally, to me- chipotle tastes like Copenhagen -a damn good pepper had to die to make that mess...
    Jalapeņos are good for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Have you tried candied jalapenos? A club or ritz cracker with a smear of cream cheese along with a few candied jalapenos and you're in business.
    This I have to research a bit more. Sounds like yum!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Have you tried candied jalapenos? A club or ritz cracker with a smear of cream cheese along with a few candied jalapenos and you're in business.
    ^^^^^ This I have to research a bit more. Sounds like yum!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    A gal down the road here used to go to New Mexico to buy chilies every year. She would come back and make a huge batch of Chili Verde. The year I tried it she gave me over a gallon as it wasn't moving as fast as usual. The first few bowls my face would go numb, I'd get cold sweats and full body rushes. By the time I finished it just light sweats. Never got the license number of that chili.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    ^^^^^ This I have to research a bit more. Sounds like yum!
    Our favorite. Texas Pepper Works Candy-Krisp Jalapenos. Tried to upload a photo, couldn't get it re-sized. See if you can find some on the 'net.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Just looked, shows Amazon carries them.

The wife picked up a jar of candied jalapenos last made by a local guy. Those things were awesome.
    I am defiantly not a fan of chipotle though I dont know why. I love everything smoked.
    I know a few people that like Tabasco, but as far as I'm concerned it is the worst of the hot sauces.
    No flavor, its just heat IMO.

Boolit Master

The wife makes killer candied jalapeņos/cowboy candy. Delicious as a condiment and handy as a seasoning when cooking. She also adds jalapeņos to several jam recipes, blueberry jalapeņo is my favorite on a bagel with cream cheese!
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    The wife picked up a jar of candied jalapenos last made by a local guy. Those things were awesome.
    I am defiantly not a fan of chipotle though I dont know why. I love everything smoked.
    I know a few people that like Tabasco, but as far as I'm concerned it is the worst of the hot sauces.
    No flavor, its just heat IMO.
    I agree, way to much vinegar and salt... Frank's is much better for a mild hot sauce.

Something I discovered:

If you are going to clean out and process more than one- wear gloves.

I you don't, and even back handedly wipe something away from your eye,
    you'll think you've been hit with mace from a fire hose.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast