Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jalapeņo

Jalapeņo

Every year I have an abundance of red, ripe jalapeņo peppers, and put them up by freezing and pickling. This year I dried some. An oven rack full dried to fill half a sandwich bag. They are to die for! Absolutely, wonderfully delicious. Being thick and fleshy they retain a soft, leathery texture, with just the right amount of hot and sweet. I just finished lunch of soft bean tacos with cheese and dried jalapenos, topped with lettuce and taco sauce. Can't wait to do it again!

Next year I'm going to dry buckets full.

Boolit Master
    I love them haved, stuffed with bacon and cream cheese, bake.

Boolit Master
    I always have way more than I can use. Poppers are fun to eat, not sure they are good for you. I pickled some one year and the heat seemed to leave. I froze them once, but they got rubbery, but kept the fire in them. Could dry them, but I just don't use much of that. Love having them to heat-up my salsa.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    The peppers cut in half filled with cream cheese breakfast sausage and refried Beens are awsom. Top it with monaray jack cheese and then a bacon slice. Bake untill bacon is brown and crunchy. Don’t know why but the only cheese I really like on this is monkey jack. Kids call it that. I have tried a bunch of differnt cheese but keep cooming back to it. Will make tonight

I used to have a friend who called himself Monterey Jack.

Boolit Master

Just last week the oldest grandson and his girlfriend were here. Youngest grandson came by with 17 ducks he and some friends had killed. He breasted them and the oldest and his girlfriend made poppers out of jalapenos, cream cheese, duck breast, and wrapped with bacon. While they were baking, taught my oldest how to make a roux. He then proceeded to make sausage and duck gumbo. Now, not everyone in my family like heat or spice, so it was me, the 3 grandsons, the girlfriend and the SIL who ate as many poppers as we could, without spoiling our appetite for some unbelievable gumbo. YUMMMMM!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried candied jalapenos? A club or ritz cracker with a smear of cream cheese along with a few candied jalapenos and you're in business.
    Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Have you tried candied jalapenos? A club or ritz cracker with a smear of cream cheese along with a few candied jalapenos and you're in business.
    Yes, I make lots of them. I like them on hot dogs and ham burgers. Sometimes I just eat them right out of the jar. A variation I like is Bread and Butter Jalapenos. The additional spices add a very nice flavor to the already great peppers.

I love the flavor of Jalapeņos, but some are just a little too hot for my taste. Call me wimpy if you like, I've got two sons that enjoy the heat and one that grows Carolina Reaper peppers. Recently I discovered Mezzetta Tamed* Jalapeņos, sliced and packed in glass jar, they are fantastic, crunchy and just the right amount of heat.

Our Tamed™ Jalapeņos—a hybrid of a jalapeņo and a bell pepper—were developed for us by Texas A&M University to provide all the flavor and texture of a regular jalapeņo but with less heat. Mezzetta Tamed™ Jalapeņos carry a trademark licensed exclusively to Mezzetta and are the perfect thing when you want the taste of jalapeņo without knock-your-socks-off spiciness. If you like heat, though, you’ll love our Hot Jalapeņos.
    https://www.mezzetta.com/our-product...lapeno-peppers

Our local Publix has them and you can buy them directly from Mezzetta.

They also make excellent Jalapeņo stuffed Spanish green olives, though they are stuffed with full strength Jalapeņos.

https://www.mezzetta.com/our-product...stuffed-olives

So I guess nobody is going to be impressed with the quarter pounder with cheese I just ate. I was actually kind of pleased with it until I read about the soft bean tacos in the OP.

Boolit Master

I've been growing a hybrid Jalapeno for a few years that has all the flavor - But no heat. You can find seed out there under the name of "Fooled You" jalapeņo, "Tricked You" jalapeņo, and "Nadapeno". We've had good luck with em and my wife sometimes pickles them in slices - They are great.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    So I guess nobody is going to be impressed with the quarter pounder with cheese I just ate. I was actually kind of pleased with it until I read about the soft bean tacos in the OP.
    Don't worry .... Tomorrow's Another Day and Another Meal !

I've never had a really Bad Meal ... some are just better than others .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Don't worry .... Tomorrow's Another Day and Another Meal !

I've never had a really Bad Meal ... some are just better than others .
    Gary
    Great, I'll pass that to my green thumb son.

Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    I love the flavor of Jalapeņos, but some are just a little too hot for my taste.
    Buying them fresh in the produce section is a roll of the dice.
    Their heat is largely determined by the PH level of the dirt the plant is grown in and ya can't tell how hot they are without eating one.
    I've gotten some that looked innocent enough, but they made my ears burst into flames.

But as a general rule of thumb, the lighter green they are, the more mild they are too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Yep, a staple in our family gatherings. Candied jalapenos over cream cheese block with club crackers. Gonna have some tomorrow.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Texas twinkies. Jalapeno stuffed with a slice of smoked brisket and cream cheese wrapped with bacon.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Moderator Emeritus

We make a batch of jelly to use as a meat sauce. It goes well with pork, venison or chicken.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've had several servings of the leftover gumbo mentioned in my first post. Grandson and girlfriend fine chopped some leftover jalapenos from the poppers, about 3 TBLSP per serving, ain't bad.

Boolit Buddy
    You've got my mouth watering.

I pickle mine but only let a few turn red.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast