Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using wheel weights to cast for patched loads.

Boolit Bub

Using wheel weights to cast for patched loads.

Can you use wheel weights to cast round balls to use in patched blackpowder loads, or does it have to be plain lead?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post
    Can you use wheel weights to cast round balls to use in patched blackpowder loads, or does it have to be plain lead?
    Happy new year! Certainly if the round balls are for a revolver soft lead is necessary. But that isn't your question. I cast thousands of round balls and use 'em all in a years time, the vast majority for PRB rifle and smoothbore. I never gave anything but pure lead a thought and this is why:1) pure lead is easy to handle and has a high surface tension which makes it seek the roundest form in the molten state making round balls a natural.2) Pure lead is the most dense of our common casting metals and the softest...so, you end up with a soft, heavy projectile which is the only terminal ballistic advantage that a round ball offers. Low B.C., no controlled expansion, no jacket, poor aerodynamics etc. 3) It's authentic, we know that any shoulder weapon projectile prior to 1860s era was lead unless it was inadvertently alloyed or made of silver or gold (very rare). I'm interested in other's input!

Boolit Master

For years we used wheel weights to cast nearly every thing,then learned to use pure lead because it's softer which is easiest on the gun,you'll also get better shot to shot consistency with pure lead to.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by Drifty4 View Post
    It depends.
    They may not be as accurate in a rifled bore, but should be okay in a smooth bore.
    Harder balls may not obturate the same when fired.
    Round ball molds are usually intended to be used with pure lead, and wheel weight lead may produce slightly larger balls.
    But some folks may like harder balls for hunting if they penetrate better because they expand less.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-31-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have shot quite a few WW cast round balls. I never noticed much difference shooting paper.

As side note a club I shot in wanted you to use soft lead because hard lead damaged the knocked down targets.

Boolit Bub

Thanks a lot. Good answers.

Guess straight lead it is.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

For a smooth bore I'd say ww are fine . In a rifled bore I found it harder to get the ball started with the same patch thickness I use with soft lead after it's started though both ram down the same
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I used WW lead and range lead for years. I didn't have any pure lead at the time. It works just fine, even in rifled bores. Like stated not good for revolvers because you could bend/break the loading rod and they do come slightly larger so you may need to use a slightly thinner patch.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I use WW in everything, because I got a lot of it for free, and I'm a cheapskate. I have never bent a loading lever on a revolver. As has been stated, round balls typically come out larger than the listed mold diameter (usually about 0.003", I find). I got excellent accuracy in my old .45 percussion gun with WW round balls, a patch of muslin, and crisco for patch lube. I was able to start the ball easily with thumb pressure. I never used a starter. Dang, I miss that gun. It was an FIE "kentucky" style gun, considered bottom-tier quality, but it sure was a tack driver.

Reminiscing aside, just select your patch material accordingly, and It'll work fine. At least it has for me.

Banned

WW work just fine with patched round ball shooting.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've been using WW's in my muzzleloaders for 45 years, with good results.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I liked them and used them quite successfully in my .40 and in my smoothbore. Not for revolvers, however.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    I used WW balls in my 58 Remington all the time. That pistol had really 'sharp' edges on the chambers and shaved lead off the balls nicely.

Also used patched WW balls in a .45 Kentucky rifle. Was good enough for a few inches at 100yd.

Boolit Man
    Never notice much difference between Wheel Weight and Pure round ball with a patch. In 50cal I use .490 wheel weight and .495 Pure. The 58cal`s .562 Wheel weight and .570 Pure. All shoot just fine.

I say try different alloys using the same mold, check for size, and shoot them. See if you can tell the difference and let us know your findings. Experimenting is the fun part, reporting back is worth the reading.

Your opinion matters.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not in revolvers?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Why not in revolvers?
    I use them in revolvers all the time.

Boolit Master
    I've tried wheel weights for my .50 caliber and noticed that they weigh less and had less drop at 100yds with the same powder load when compared to pure lead round balls. Just don't get them mixed up when trying to work up a load, it will ruin your day at the range. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    With out a doubt, pure lead is the best choice for reasons already stated. However, what if you don’t have a good source of pure lead, like me. I have a big stockpile of range scrap, but it usually around, at least 12 BHN. I’ve been shootings round balls in a smooth bore for two years and I have just bought a rifled muzzle loader.

I am for sure still on the learning curve and my guns are originals, so those are two big variables.
    Anyhow when I tried pure lead, I didn’t see any difference. I load cream of wheat on top of the BP and then a patched ball. I do it this way, because that is the way the serious competitors do it.

I just read the other day, that soldiers shooting Enfields, would often add clay to help the expansion of mini balls.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Why not in revolvers?
    I broke a couple loading levers over the years using the harder wheel weight lead.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast