Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: #1 Ruger in 7mm Rem mag, anybody got any good cast bullet loads?

Boolit Master

#1 Ruger in 7mm Rem mag, anybody got any good cast bullet loads?

OK, here is the deal. I have found a #1 in 7mm mag, not my favorite round. It has 150 rounds thru the pipe, the owner bought it new in the mid 1980's. If I can get it to shoot cast I will buy it, and I can get it at a steal, the wood will need refinishing, hunting scratches, etc. All feedback appreciated.

What model is the number one, "B" or "S?" The 26" barrel should get you the published velocities with factory loads. My bolt action 7RemMag is one of the most accurate in my inventory; however, I have not shot cast. I have shot quite a bit of reduced loads with jacketed rounds using IMR4064 and H4895 that have been accurate at 2000 to 2200fps. While I've never been interested enough to purchase a mold for the Mag, I'd be interest in hearing of your experience with cast in this caliber. I've owned quite a few Ruger No. 1's over the years, but only had one out of 5 that would shoot any load I "fed" it and it was not a 7RemMag. Good luck!

Boolit Master
    I think it is a B model

The "S" has the sling "eye" on the barrel and the "B" has it on the forearm. (BTW for what its worth, my most accurate No.1 was a model B in .22/250). Kaiser

The seven mag sounds hard to make work with cast bullets because of the short neck...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    OK, here is the deal. I have found a #1 in 7mm mag, not my favorite round. It has 150 rounds thru the pipe, the owner bought it new in the mid 1980's. If I can get it to shoot cast I will buy it, and I can get it at a steal, the wood will need refinishing, hunting scratches, etc. All feedback appreciated.
    You didn't really say what type of cast loads you were looking to use. I have had good luck with the Lee "Soup Can" 7mm bullet in just about every rifle I have tried it in. It is one of the few bullets that shoots good out of my 7mm Magnums. It's a 134 grain flat nose and I load it in the 7mm Magnum with 15 grains of Unique. It's not a barn burner, but it is accurate. I haven't had much luck with heavier loads with any of the other cast bullets I have tried in the 7mm Mag. The latest Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists several bullets and loads for the 7mm Mag but none have been as accurate as the Lee Soup Can out of my rifles.