RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 45-90

Boolit Man

45-90

Hello,
    First post here.
    I’ve owned a Shiloh #3 in 45-70 for about ten years. I bought it for a hunting rifle. It has served me well in that roll.
    Now that I’m retired with time to play, I’m considering getting into BPCR competition.I see that there are a few matches in Wisconsin and Minnesota at ranges I became familiar with in my years as a high power competitor.
    Toward this end, I’ve placed an order for a C Sharps 74 in 45-90. What velocity gain over the 45-70 can I expect with this bigger case?
    JKR

I shoot my 45/90 with a 545gn PGT boolit and can only get 77gns of FFG in the case for around 140fps gain!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Shooting a .535459M1 BACO bullet cast from 16-1 over 82 grains of OE 1 1/2 and a .060 fiber wad, in Jamison cases, the velocity is right at 1340.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    Thank you. I’m happy to be a member here. I can see there’s a wealth of knowledge. I’m sure I’ll have many questions.
    I currently have two Brooks molds. One is a Postell and I’m not certain what the other one is. I’ve been casting 25 to 1 with the Postell and shooting pretty nice groups using 68 grains of GOEX cartridge. The other mold was given to me and it’s not in the best condition. It was a garage sale find and was rusted. The well meaning buyer went after it with a wire brush! I’ve cast a few bullets with it and you can see the brush marks in them. In spite of this, they shoot pretty well at 200 yards. They weigh 540 grains.
    I’m hoping to shoot some mid range matches with my 45-70 in the upcoming season in order to get the feel of things. The new rifle should arrive by early fall. I’m hoping to use it in long range matches. Until then I have much to learn!
    JKR

Your bullet and load with that postel will probably work great for midrange, the velocity is probably down around the point that shooting past 800 could be problematic especially if you get into some cross winds.
    Fouling control is super important when you start into the game of chasing the x ring, most folks wipe between shots to assure a consistent bore condition.
    Cliff and Mark do a great job with the long range matches at Lodi. I hope to get back there and shoot that cup match and Creedmoor again someday.

Boolit Master
    I use the JIM459530 M5 in my 45-70 cast at about 15-1 with a .030 LDPE wad for rams to 1000yd. It will hold almost 79 grains of swiss 3F not compressed. Fouling control makes or breaks this load and is easy in a lighter load for chickens to turkeys. My 45-100 has not been out of the safe in years. Just a thought and good luck to you.

Boolit Man
    I shot many long range matches at Lodi as a high power shooter. Even won a couple state championships there. That was a long time ago. This big, slow moving, lead bullet, will be an all together different critter. Looking forward to the new challenge!
    JKR

JKR keep in mind that stuff that won't even make a 168 gr smk blink is liable to make a 530 grain chunk of lead puke it's guts out on the way to the target.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    I shot many long range matches at Lodi as a high power shooter. Even won a couple state championships there. That was a long time ago. This big, slow moving, lead bullet, will be an all together different critter. Looking forward to the new challenge!
    JKR
    We have lost most local ranges for BPCR and Raton shows a lack of interest in holding the Creedmoor. My current endeavor is a 6mm Dasher as we have several places within an hour and half driving to shoot. Not very good at it at my age but having fun.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    JKR keep in mind that stuff that won't even make a 168 gr smk blink is liable to make a 530 grain chunk of lead puke it's guts out on the way to the target.
    Don,
    Even at 300 yards I can see that breezes I wouldn’t even think about with the high power rifle will send this big bullet into the 8 ring!
    Can you put your face on the stock with 1000 yard elevation on the sight?
    JKR

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    We have lost most local ranges for BPCR and Raton shows a lack of interest in holding the Creedmoor. My current endeavor is a 6mm Dasher as we have several places within an hour and half driving to shoot. Not very good at it at my age but having fun.

You’ll have fun with the dasher. I used a 6BR in my last years shooting HP. Extremely accurate and easy to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Don,
    Even at 300 yards I can see that breezes I wouldn’t even think about with the high power rifle will send this big bullet into the 8 ring!
    Can you put your face on the stock with 1000 yard elevation on the sight?
    JKR
    Most of the time, altho it's not a full cheek weld like the closer ranges

Boolit Grand Master

My 45-90 is a C Sharps Hepburn 34" green mountain barrel 1 - 18 twist. I shoot starline brass with Olde Ensforde 1 1/2f powder and a 550 grn silhouette bullet by Bernie Rowels at old west moulds. It really makes rams jump at 500 yds ( farthest range available here). Im thinking my charge is around 82 grns under this bullet for just over 1300 fps. My load is compressed. experiment with compression as it can help with fouling. wads compression lube all affect fouling. My bullets are cast from 20-1.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Most of the time, altho it's not a full cheek weld like the closer ranges
    I use a Bearcreek cheek riser that has foam inserts. Takes two thick ones for 1000 (on a highwall) and is tough to roll the riser over the foam but doable. The top shooters have good stuff but also have have the best spotters watching flags and mirage.
    .Should have read Beartooth cheek riser-had a senior moment.
    Last edited by kokomokid; 12-31-2020 at 03:54 PM.

I only have one rifle that uses over 160 points on the staff to get to 1000, so cheek weld isn't much of a problem. Even the rifle that uses 195 to make 1000 has a very high comb on it, so high in fact it's not really possible to shoot at anything closer than 600.

Since I do not have enough posts to post in the Swap and Sell, there is some NOS Jamison 45-90 brass on Gunbroker NOT MINE, in case anyone needs some.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)