Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench rest percussion guns

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Gun is right about a 60 cal, haven't checked twist yet and weight is 18 lbs I was told. However haven't checked weight yet myself. Thanks for the links and info so far.
    Thank you.
    IMHO a bench rest or supported rifle shouldn't need a hook.

I found information that the MLAIC long range ML matches allow the use of a 2 point sling when shooting at distances up to 600 yards. --->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...g-again.11155/

"...Shooting in the 19th century did not permit artificial support, including slings. Shooters fried prone, unsupported, or from the back position. Modern rules permit the use of a two point sling for ranges up to 600 yards (see Whitworth rifle picture above) and shooting is from the prone position. At ranges greater than 600 yards a wrist rest may be used, or the shooter can fire from the back position - as shown below..."
    ---------------
    .45 cal percussion rifle
    Weight 12lbs (in the 19th century weight was restricted to 10lb. Modern rules permit up to 15lb)
    34-36" barrel
    1:18 twist
    ---------------
    In a blog describing a 1000 yard Creedmore ML commemorative match, a competitor mentions firing some shots supported and others shots unsupported. Each match can set up it's own rules. The fellow even posted a photo of himself wearing a modern shooting jacket while firing unsupported.

"(Official score was 20 points for both relays at 1000. I actually got 6 points supported and 15 1X unsupported...."
    https://vringblog.wordpress.com/page/2/

The hook could very well be used for something else, but it's just my opinion that it's used for a sling, possibly in the prone position.
    I realize that you believe that it's a bench rest rifle, and it may be.
    But perhaps it could also be a prone rifle.
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-02-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastikosmd View Post
    Likely a foot that interacted with a specific stand for that rifle. When pushed forward into battery it was a solid stop to sit against for repeatability. (Guess)

I only have a few pics of mine, I have one more similar to yours but no pic in phone

All of my bench or chunk guns have variations of feet or rests

Very cool, thanks for the info and the pics. What are the details of the gun. Be interested in pics of the gun you say is close to mine as well if you get around to it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    Thank you.
    IMHO a bench rest or supported rifle shouldn't need a hook.

I found information that the MLAIC long range ML matches allow the use of a 2 point sling when shooting at distances up to 600 yards. --->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...g-again.11155/

"...Shooting in the 19th century did not permit artificial support, including slings. Shooters fried prone, unsupported, or from the back position. Modern rules permit the use of a two point sling for ranges up to 600 yards (see Whitworth rifle picture above) and shooting is from the prone position. At ranges greater than 600 yards a wrist rest may be used, or the shooter can fire from the back position - as shown below..."
    ---------------
    .45 cal percussion rifle
    Weight 12lbs (in the 19th century weight was restricted to 10lb. Modern rules permit up to 15lb)
    34-36" barrel
    1:18 twist
    ---------------
    In a blog describing a 1000 yard Creedmore ML commemorative match, a competitor mentions firing some shots supported and others shots unsupported. Each match can set up it's own rules. The fellow even posted a photo of himself wearing a modern shooting jacket while firing unsupported.

"(Official score was 20 points for both relays at 1000. I actually got 6 points supported and 15 1X unsupported...."
    https://vringblog.wordpress.com/page/2/

The hook could very well be used for something else, but it's just my opinion that it's used for a sling, possibly in the prone position.
    I realize that you believe that it's a bench rest rifle, and it may be.
    But perhaps it could also be a prone rifle.
    Thank you for the info, interesting stuff. When i got the gun it was advertised as a benchrest rifle, myself, I am not sure. That's what I am trying to figure out. I have been unable to find anything on the maker and am just trying to piece some history together for the gun.

I got the scale out and it weighed in at 17.8 lbs on the digital scale.

I just don't see how it could be fired unsupported, even though its only 18 lbs its almost impossible to hold up free hand.

The barrel measures 34" long and measures 1.5" across the flats at the muzzle!!

Boolit Master
    There is a sly way around the having to support the fore end of the rifle and that is the hand supports the gun and there is a short support that the wrist or forearm rests on! Search for the South African Black Powder Union shooting folks and they have a lot of pictures of how the 1000 yard muzzle loading world championship matches are shot and if I remember the young fellow known far and wide as "CapandBall" has some YouTube videos showing the matches when they were held in Europe recently. There are several types like the Gibbs for the long range, the big barreled under hammer unlimited guns like they shoot at Friendship and then the "Chunk" guns like for the Sargent York matches. Sooooo here are many reasons to buy more rifles or to make them!
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Hawkin
    Those, one is and 80# Breisen, other is a 40lb Morris
    I have 3 or so other morris guns, a Resor, one that the name escapes me, a pierce
    That may be it. I like the heavy guns

The 80lb gun shoots a 1700grain swaged lead boolit over 3-350g of Bp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastikosmd View Post
    Hawkin
    Those, one is and 80# Breisen, other is a 40lb Morris
    I have 3 or so other morris guns, a Resor, one that the name escapes me, a pierce
    That may be it. I like the heavy guns

The 80lb gun shoots a 1700grain swaged lead boolit over 3-350g of Bp
    Damn.