MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench rest percussion guns

Boolit Buddy

Bench rest percussion guns

On an old percussion benchrest gun that has a hook near the muzzle, what did these hook onto while shooting? This is on a heavy barrel gun, way too heavy to hold freehand. Anyone know what this would have been hooked on to steady the gun?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hook.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	274424
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hook 2.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	274425

Name:	hook 3.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	274426
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 01-01-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: attached photos

Banned

Perhaps a picture would be helpful?

Boolit Master
    I remember seeing pictures of some pretty strange bench rest setups from the 'old' days.

Boolit Master
    I believe they were used on WALL GUNS, to hook them to the wood ramparts.?

Boolit Master

Picture would help some where used to steady the gun into a rest kinda like we use cross sticks today.
    Simper-Fi
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I remember seeing pictures of some pretty strange bench rest setups from the 'old' days.
    Any idea where it was you saw these pictures? I haven't been able to upload pics here for a while now. I will try again in the next day or so.

Basically its a metal hook at the end of the barrel, maybe hook isnt the right word. Almost like a letter C that looks like it was made to rest the end of the gun on something.

I have seen the wall guns with the hook and what I am talking about is different, at least in looks.

Boolit Buddy
    I once saw a special on the "outdoor life network" about a particular kind of muzzleloader competition involving specially built guns called "chunk guns", some of which match your subscription. The hook helped stabilize it on the wooden slab rest called the "chunk". They shot round balls at, if I remember correctly, 500 yards.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 12-31-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: My autocorrect has bad grammar.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I once saw a special on the "outdoor life network" about a particular kind of muzzleloader competition involving specially built guns called "chunk guns", some of which match your subscription. The hook helped stabilize it on the wooden slab rest called the "chunk". They shot round balls at, if I remember correctly, 500 yards.
    I checked into chunk guns and it does seem like this could fit in that description. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    Pics attached to original post. Looks like I got them working. If you need any other views let me know, appreciate it.

Inline with what Thundermaker said, it strongly resembles the modern version of a quick release sling attachment.
    Except in this case it's much more simplified, perhaps for attaching a type of sling using a simple D ring or a rectangular ring.

The modern ones have a much more complicated design. with a push button that disengages ball bearings which fits into a metal housing attached to a rail in the forestock of the gun.
    The makers call it a quick detach sling swivel.
    The reason for the quick detach on a modern heavy target gun is that the sling is directly attached to the arm of the shooter's jacket with a buckle, and is looped around the bicep like a belt, which helps support the rifle and the shooter's position.
    When finished shooting, the sling stays wrapped on the arm. and it needs to be detached from the gun when the shooter wants to separate from the gun.
    That hook makes it easier to quickly attach and detach the sling.
    The modern target guns aren't as heavy as chunk guns, but I would guess a similar purpose, to help maintain a consistent position on the stock when sighting the rifle.
    And probably also to help to keep the muzzle steady once the trigger is pulled.

The muzzle in the photo doesn't look like the heaviest type of chunk gun.
    There's probably different classifications of guns depending on their weight.
    How heavy is yours?

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-QD-Qui.../dp/B00HKBSQ26
    Magpul Industries Quick Detach Sling Swivel, Model Number: MAG540
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-01-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Is that flush with the end cap ? Or does it go under the end cap? Could it have been added after the gun was built?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Is that flush with the end cap ? Or does it go under the end cap? Could it have been added after the gun was built?
    Nope does not go under, it ends where the end cap starts. Here are some more pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzzle.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	274434

Name:	end cap.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	274435

Name:	whole.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	274436

Name:	trigger guard.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	274437

Name:	butt stock.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	274438

Name:	barrel.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	274439

Boolit Buddy
    Makes me wonder if the hook is original to the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    Makes me wonder if the hook is original to the gun.
    It sure seems original to me or at least added long ago. Look at the oil staining of the wood around the edges.

Name:	hook 4.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	274440

If their bench had a metal rest for the barrel it would tear up the stock upon recoil. So they made a metal glide that would sit on the rest. Also add a little extra height for aligning sights. Check here https://www.muzzleblasts.com/archive.../stutz_1.shtml

Could it be for locking the gun into a rest/support by pushing it forward?
    NRA Benefactor

About how much does the gun weigh?
    Heavy chunk guns can weigh 80 - 90 lbs or more.
    Then there's lighter ones such as yours looks like it may be.

Boolit Master
    I would say with the curve of it and the smoothness of the metal edge it would allow the rifle to move backwards easily with recoil. Bench or chunk guns and I have several including one made by the great Wilburn "Web" Terry that they sit on a smooth flat surface and move back and forth but not up and down as little as possible. The chunk gun shoots usually go out to 40 rods or 220 yards with patched round balls. The patches are generally specially coated with spray lube or ????? secret stuff! Do you know the caliber and barrel twist rate? My chunk gun is 50 caliber and 1 in 48 twist and my other bench guns are all 45 caliber either 1 in 16 twist or a gain twist start at 1 in 24 and at muzzle 1 in 16. The chunk guns also have a normal rear stock, not the flat bottom rear stock like the one in Ken's picture that rests on the hand for support. If you do a search on chunk gun shoots especially the Sargent York one there are some pictures of massive muzzle loaders that shoot to 40 rods. Here's a link to get you started: https://prwarner.wixsite.com/sergent-york-shoot
    By the way if you shoot that gun you'll need a set of bib overalls, white shirt, black tie and a fedora!!!!
    John
    Last edited by oldracer; 01-01-2021 at 11:57 PM. Reason: adding

Boolit Buddy
    Gun is right about a 60 cal, haven't checked twist yet and weight is 18 lbs I was told. However haven't checked weight yet myself. Thanks for the links and info so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Likely a foot that interacted with a specific stand for that rifle. When pushed forward into battery it was a solid stop to sit against for repeatability. (Guess)

I only have a few pics of mine, I have one more similar to yours but no pic in phone

All of my bench or chunk guns have variations of feet or rests

Last edited by Plastikosmd; 01-02-2021 at 11:26 AM.