MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Gibbs is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Being from an Italian family, I say Saltner's English is remarkably good. I also appreciate that he explained a term that was causing confusion.
    I wish I could speak and write English like that. Something I understand, but I rely on the Google translator
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    O.K. I can see barrel cut problem but why did this not show itself 5 years ago if this is the same rifle referenced in the 5 year old blog. Yes it is bad luck.
    Simply because I had not yet purchased the borescope

I would lap it (either by hand or fire lapping) then try thicker paper.

I've seen rifles shoot pretty well with pits so big, if you saw them on the road you'd avoid them with your car.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master

Hello All

Saltner, you live in Italy,
    Pedersoli is in Gardone, Italy
    Can you not get them to replace the barrel?

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/gun...-pedersoli.asp

Happy New Year

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Many on this Forum claim that boiling water can cause flash rust. Might want to eliminate the boiling water during the cleaning process. Use water right from the tap.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Hello All

Saltner, you live in Italy,
    Pedersoli is in Gardone, Italy
    Can you not get them to replace the barrel?

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/gun...-pedersoli.asp

Happy New Year

Mike
    I've already talked to Pedersoli and he told me to go to the factory to see what to do.
    But I already know that you will want to replace me and rightly paying.
    But I don't know if I will, I wouldn't want to have the same problems in a few years.
    Maybe I change brands or replace the barrel by a craftsman who uses excellent barrels.

Boolit Master
    If it is not too inconvenient I would go to Pedersoli and see what they say. If they want you to pay for a new barrel, then you can say "no thanks" and go get a custom barrel made to fit.

I assume it does not shoot well anymore?

Boolit Master
    If it were me and I lived in Italy where the gun was made I would take several days to visit the factory and have them look at the barrel and discuss costs and such things and work out a deal to get a new barrel. I would also ask to see inside the new barrel before it is installed and even ask to watch the barrel replacement. Since the barrel is probably the most important part of any muzzle loader I imagine they would agree. I would also get their instructions on shooting and cleaning as I know I got a copy with the one I got even though it was used.

One thing that surprised me was when shooting their 520 grain grease groove bullet the instructions said to cast in pure lead, insure the base was perfect and lightly seat the bullet directly on the powder! So when I shoot their bullet I do not use a wad but with the heavier 540 grain bullet or my 560 grain paper patch I use a .060 fiber wad. Good luck.
    John

My muzzleloader I'm sure looks a lot like that, I'm hunting with it tomorrow.

I have seen barrels far worse than that shoot very well.

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I have seen barrels far worse than that shoot very well.
    Indeed!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EddystoneShine_zps808bd9d4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	274481
    That is my US Model of 1917 30-06, shoots 1MOA regularly.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish I could visit the Pedersoli factory! But I would have to leave my credit cards at the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    I wish I could visit the Pedersoli factory! But I would have to leave my credit cards at the hotel.
    There's 3 factory tour videos on youtube that can be found by entering- pedersoli factory tour -into the youtube search box.

Boolit Buddy
    Been shooting muzzleloaders a very long time. probably 10lbs of powder a year Boiling hot water does cause flash rust. It does not clean fouling better IMO. Room temp water is fine. The avoidance also of petroleum products for rust preventatives are a recipe for rust. If you dont want the heavy tar from it mixing with black powder. Clean it with denatured alcohol before going shooting.
    All the barrel seasoning and natural product hoopla is just that...hoopla. I know many have used nothing but and had no problems. But many people have ruined their guns with "natural" stuff. These barrels dont need seasoning.
    Ballistol is a good product. Alot of uses but a master of none. Especially long term storage. It does not displace moisture. It mixes with it! Any corrosion test Ive ever seen it doesent do well. But Ive used many bottles of it. And still like it as a cleaner.
    A builder in Tenn of flintlocks Tip Curtis told me he cleans the barrel with water , Dries it and then wipes it out with Hoppes 9. And hes built a few thousand guns. I just clean with water wipe it out good. Then flush with a water discplacing oil like Wd 40. Then a rust prevenative.
    For a barrel Like Saltner. I would go the Kroil route that someone explained. Soak the bore in Kroil. Leave it for a while. I would then try some bore paste like JB on a very tight jag and see what happens. Saltner that barrel might be Ok
    Ok Im ready to be pounded now for not liking "natural products and Ballistol for rust protection. Be easy on me fellas

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    A builder in Tenn of flintlocks Tip Curtis... And hes built a few thousand guns.
    Yet but it's not like he kept them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Been shooting muzzleloaders a very long time. probably 10lbs of powder a year Boiling hot water does cause flash rust. It does not clean fouling better IMO. Room temp water is fine. The avoidance also of petroleum products for rust preventatives are a recipe for rust. If you dont want the heavy tar from it mixing with black powder. Clean it with denatured alcohol before going shooting.
    All the barrel seasoning and natural product hoopla is just that...hoopla. I know many have used nothing but and had no problems. But many people have ruined their guns with "natural" stuff. These barrels dont need seasoning.
    Ballistol is a good product. Alot of uses but a master of none. Especially long term storage. It does not displace moisture. It mixes with it! Any corrosion test Ive ever seen it doesent do well. But Ive used many bottles of it. And still like it as a cleaner.
    A builder in Tenn of flintlocks Tip Curtis told me he cleans the barrel with water , Dries it and then wipes it out with Hoppes 9. And hes built a few thousand guns. I just clean with water wipe it out good. Then flush with a water discplacing oil like Wd 40. Then a rust prevenative.
    For a barrel Like Saltner. I would go the Kroil route that someone explained. Soak the bore in Kroil. Leave it for a while. I would then try some bore paste like JB on a very tight jag and see what happens. Saltner that barrel might be Ok
    Ok Im ready to be pounded now for not liking "natural products and Ballistol for rust protection. Be easy on me fellas
    Not me... I’m a fan of water or soap and water for cleaning and after it’s dry protect the metal with Eezox. Others tell me that Barricade has many of the same great qualities. It’s as good a metal protectant as anything available and better than most of what’s available. Does not mix with water and is in fact heavier than water. Dries to a clear protective film which is of course waterproof and very very thin. Doesn’t seem to react at all to blackpowder combustion the way petroleum products do so there is no need to remove the protective coating before loading up to go hunting or shooting at targets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    Not me... I’m a fan of water or soap and water for cleaning and after it’s dry protect the metal with Eezox. Others tell me that Barricade has many of the same great qualities. It’s as good a metal protectant as anything available and better than most of what’s available. Does not mix with water and is in fact heavier than water. Dries to a clear protective film which is of course waterproof and very very thin. Doesn’t seem to react at all to blackpowder combustion the way petroleum products do so there is no need to remove the protective coating before loading up to go hunting or shooting at targets.
    I like Eezox also and Gunslick Gun Seal. Nothing beats RIG grease for long term storage.
    I just have been in the habit now to wipe out the bore with denatured alcohol and a couple patches before snapping caps and then loading. I dont mind that. I wipe out all my centerfires too before going to the range.

Boolit Master
    Running a rod thru any gun before firing is a good idea.....there have been many incidents here caused by wasps building in barrels......One particular kind here build with the gum of the acacia ,a sort of hard yellow solid......very quick too,one tiny wasp can build a considerable deposit in a few hours ....not to mention a hundred different kinds of mudwasps.

Boolit Buddy
    The easy way to avoid the corrosion damage of rifling caused by burnt powder residue , shoot a smoothbore

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm. I'd be dismayed on seeing one of my barrels looking like that, but it definitely looks retrievable. Like others have posted, the first order of business is to clean and take another look. Then shoot it and see what results you get. If it tends to foul faster than before, you could also do some minor pressure-lapping to smooth off the edges of any pits. It should foul less then. That's been my experience. Paper patching is another option which also tends to smooth barrel steel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast